KiteLife Forum
Cot51stState

WTB: Rev 1 Vented Sail

WTB: Rev 1 Vented Sail

I'm trying to preserve the shape of¬†my almost 30yo full sail during those times when the wind picks up. If anyone has a¬†vented sail for a Rev 1 frame they are willing to sell, please message me with the details. I may not fly it well, but I will fly it ūüėČ

Thank You for Your Time - Michael Davis

• Advertiser
    Cot51stState
  • Date
    09/03/2019
  • Price

• Category
  • Brand
    Any
  • Model
    Rev 1 Vented

I don't think the Rev I was ever made commercially in a vented version. I may be wrong. The only vented ones I've seen were vented by the owners. The 1.5 format (a bit smaller) is more readily available in vented versions, both mid and full vent. Different frame size, but the 1.5 is the common and more widely used.

Revolution has a few single and dual vent sails available for the Rev 1. For the price, the money would probably be better spent on another kite? I just thought this route might be worth a shot. Thanks - Michael

I have one that is self vented...pic below...I am thinking of letting go..... Has a 4 wrap and an SLE. 

I'll message you later this evening (on west coast) with details....

bt

IMG_1398.JPG

• Like 1

that vent job is extremely interesting. how did you finish the hole edges? sewn? superglued? some other method? or does the fabric simply hold together without any help?

tom

most round holes are "hot cut" (sealing the edges with the iron's heating element to prevent fraying over time)

22 hours ago, mebeatee said:

IMG_1398.JPG

Could have used that vented sail today. I live close enough to the path of Dorian to be under the influence of the outer winds. I was waiting for them to switch to the North so they would be blowing straight into my cul-de-sac. I was using my B Pro (full sail also) on 40' lines. Variable winds would be a good description. I'd be floating around and a gust would hit and... just wow. I've flown fast DLKs in the past, but the acceleration really surprised me. Definitely not in the market for anything smaller than a 1.5. 

The holes were indeed hot cut and left as is..ie "sealed". I traced around a salad or dessert sized plate. There was a thread on the old GWTW site about venting revs and I figured I'd give this a try. (Anyone remember the guess the number of holes in the cigarette burned vented Rev?) There were a couple of many small holes vented dualies as well.....

I had previously vented a Rev 2 like usual....vertically, and sewed....very badly...some mesh screen and has held up for many years. I didn't want to do the same with the Rev 1 sized kite....sew very badly....as I bought both hot and cool Sedgwick's with the idea of reframing the cool one with 2 wraps and venting the hot one. I have regular vented and mid vented 1.5's as well.

Keeping in mind I'm NOT a high wind enthusiast at all....very rarely will I go out when there's whitecaps on the water....however I have had this vented Rev 1 out in about 15 mph winds for about an hour and the sail and holes held up. It came with the SLE and I do quite like the stiffer LE in a good wind...and I did put an extra 4 wrap LE in the case just because. It hasn't really been flown that much as usually when the winds are higher I'll go with the vented 1.5 or a regular or vented 2.

It was just nice and handy to have a "set" of Rev 1 sized kites...the 2 Sedgwick's, a Zen, and a Robertshaw on hand as the 1sized Rev is my fave to fly for the most part.

bt