KiteLife Forum

damn those tangled lines!

Jo Davies

Had a frustrating time at beach today. :)

Got kite out, with interested onlookers as nobody flys a rev here. Have been winding lines attached to bridle on handles, which has always worked fine. Forgot that last time I flew the lines got in a real mess and I was going to sort them out at home (only a week ago...!)

Perfect day, quiet beach, sunshine, good steady breeze... and then a crows nest....

Spent 40 mins trying to untangle them there, and in end had to pack up and go home without a moment in the air.... :)

Having a break from the huge mess I have now, as lines got even more messed up in the wind....

Oh well, there is always tomorrow :D

Having a break from the huge mess I have now, as lines got even more messed up in the wind....

Oh well, there is always tomorrow :)

I find that no matter how careful I am winding it up, every once in a while, chaos ensues

good luck!

Speaking of tangled lines, what's the best way to resleeve lines? I haven't flown my rev in months because my lines are broken. Should I buy a sleeving kit or is there something else I can use? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Speaking of tangled lines, what's the best way to resleeve lines? I haven't flown my rev in months because my lines are broken. Should I buy a sleeving kit or is there something else I can use? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I use 26 guage florist wire. Cut a piece about 4 feet long, and fold it in half. Make sure you 'crimp' the fold to a point. (it becomes the tip to push through the sleeving)

I use 12 to 15 inches of bridle line as the sleeving. Remove the core. Slide the bridle line onto the wire. Thread your old line through the tip of the wire then pull the sleeving off the wire, over the fly line.

Theresa

Oh well, there is always tomorrow :)

I find that no matter how careful I am winding it up, every once in a while, chaos ensues

good luck!

I've had a few instances of tangled lines while flying.

Once, a piece of paper on the field got in the lines and created a birds nest that you wouldn't believe. I don't even know how it happened, it just appeared like that giant pan of noodles that Michael Keoton made in Mr. Mom...lol

The best thing I have found to do in this case is to relax and just start teasing the lines apart... never pull hard and just get it all losened up.... at that point, it damn near just falls apart... piece of cake (knocking on wood)

I've also found this works on tangled and knotted jewlery.... I was joking to my wife about my untangling abilities and she handed me a knotted freaking mess of necklaces that you wouldn't believe. There were about 10 different necklaces in there and all kinds of dangling thingies on them.... I took 2 banboo skeweres, laid the mess on the table and by carefully pulling everything loose, I had them all undone in about 45 mins... The look on my wifes face was remarkable.... I get no more crap about kite flying.... also lost 2 " on my waist cause of this obsessive sport....

Thanks for the tip on line sleeving!! I was racking my brain trying to think of something I already had on hand that I could use since i've no flourist wire. I found a solution!! A used guitar string, the high E string, did the trick just perfectly!!! :) So now if I can just take the time to resleeve all four lines, maybe my rev can be back in the air tommorrow!

Theresa is the untangler goddest, she help me to untagle mine at Long Beach in no time!!!! :) After that I started to wind my lines in two winders and that's the end of the problem for rockies like me!!

Cheers

Mario

I took 2 banboo skeweres, laid the mess on the table and by carefully pulling everything loose, I had them all undone in about 45 mins... The look on my wifes face was remarkable.... I get no more crap about kite flying.... also lost 2 " on my waist cause of this obsessive sport....

I like the concept of the bamboo skewers. Actually some with a blunt end and taper would be great to separate out loop and to loosen. Probably some sort of plastic stick would be best. I think sailors use something like this to undo knots and tangles.

I think I am going to the 5 and dime and see what I can fine. Oops I mean the dollar store (miss the good old days).

I have nothing to say except Hello :)

BB

Penny ~who unwinds out a line at a time on a little piece of cardboard paper for quick untanging while watching a movie. four little pieces of cardboard do the trick.

I think there's a law somewhere that says-No untangling old lines on the beach unless it's done by a non-flying spouse.

the best way i found to untangle lines is to follow the knot meaning in every tangle has a route at first it will be hard to find but after a few minutes youll see it and as long as the knot isnt to tight it should help get everything loose

:) im with Mario...

I started winding up my lines seperately.. and I am alot more apt to pull out a rev and fly now, because i dont have to untangle em each time.. and believe me .. it was each time... lol....

This works great now.. ya ya.. i know.. im a wimp.. but im dorky too so who cares.. hehee..

One thing that I have done to help with line tangles and setup is to leave my lines attached to the kite and handles. I don't take them off at all. My procedure for putting the kite away is this:

1) Stake the kite

2) Walk to the kite and take it apart, sliding it into the bag. leave the lines attached and they will run out of the end of the bag towards the stake.

3) Tuck the bag under my arm and start winding about 3-4 inches away from the end of the bag.

4) When I reach the handles, bungee the lines onto the winder and carefully slide the winder into the bag followed by the handles. The handles will not fit all the way into the bag on some model rev's so just leave the very end of the handles poking out, pull the drawstring tight and your good to go.

5) pick up your kite stake! (I sometimes forget this step and have to get a new one next time)

Now, to set the kite back up for flight on your next trip out, just reverse the entire process.

1) Put stake into the ground (that is if you didn't forget to do step 5 above) If you forgot to do step 5 above, then get new stake and put that one in the ground, keep the mumbling to a minimum.

2) Carefully remove your handles and winder from the bag, put handles over the stake with the brake lines closest to the stake and top lines laying away,

3) start unwinding your lines, set up the kite, grab the bag and walk back to your stake and launch!

In most instances you will have two or three twists in your lines that you can easily take out by turning both handles together. In very rare case you may have to pass one handle through the other but over all, set up and launching is within minutes.

Hope this helps!

Bah, buncha wusses, all of ya

:animal_rooster:

(I'm kidding of course)

me, I prefer to simply wind all of it up onto one spool and, I remove my handles each time (really only because I'm particularily fond of one set of SUL handles and my other sets have various "issues"). I rarely run into problems with it that I can't unwind pretty quickly however, I do have a self imposed rule, if I can't unwind it in a couple of minutes from back at the handles, I'll stake it all down and remove the lines from one handle and just work it out line by line. Takes 5 minutes at the most. Usually. :mf_crackegg: When I do wind up, I tend to do it pretty carefully and tightly.

Ah yes, "pairing" the R-L lines...

Simple way to do it...

1. Larkshead the left bottom line onto the left top line

2. Larkshead the right bottom line onto the left right line

3. Treat the right and left as two lines now, and wind them up.

I generally leave my handles on for this... But when I need to swap off handles, I just repeat the pairing at the handle end too. :animal_rooster:

I haven't had a tangle in 10 years or so... Seriously.

Thanks for bringing that to attention T. :mf_crackegg:

I land my kite and then point the top of my handles towards the kite and wrap all four lines around my handles.

When I get to the kite I pair up the lines like John and then stick the ends of the lines between the now tightly bound handles.

When setting up to fly, I attach the lines to the kite and point the top of the handles towards the kite again as I unwind the lines. Then I take off and undo the couple of twists in the air. Sometimes I have to pass one handle thru the other. It's been many years since I've had a tangled mess.

The secret is to not worry about the tangles until you've unwound the lines completely. Usually what seem to be tangles are just twists that come out when you put tension on the lines.

I'll second that... NEVER assume the first twists you see are real.

Right off, there are almost always twists going X direction at one end and Y direction at the other... If you pull all four lines taut, or walk those twists together, you'll find that almost all of them disappear.

Certainly, for those twists that are left... It's easier to walk them down to the handles, and pass one handle through the other to get them out.

If you paired them off as described, it's nearly impossible that you'll have to disconnect a line and work it out.

I've been pairing off my lines as described by John (It is suggest to do this on the DVD that comes with your Rev). I must say I havn't had a proble wth tangles yet. This procedure only takes a couple extra seconds when packing up, and will save an emense amount of headache when setting up the next time.

Chris