KiteLife Forum

Scotty

Hi everyone, my name is Scott, i'm 16, and from Pennsylvania.

I have been looking at stunt kite sites for the past month or 2, and it is somethin i really want to get into.

However, i noticed that i didnt find too many other people my age.

I have a dual line that i fool around with when im at the field. (r/c airplane field, i fly really big model airplanes)

Since then, i have been wanting a quad line, mostly because it looks like it has much more control. From flying planes, i am used to having alot of control.

Anyway, I have been looking at a Rev 1.5 SLE. it caught my eye, and looks very nice. What are your opinions on it?

Winds around here range from nothing one day, to big gusts up to 30 other days, mostly between 5 and 10 though.

There is someone else that i fly airplanes with that also enjoys kite flying, mostly duals, but some quads. He would be my main method of learning, along with this website.

And here is a weird question. How much cash am i looking at dishing out just to get the 1.5SLE flying? I dont need professional doo-dads and upgrades (there are some i am guessing?)

just want to have fun when it's a little to windy to fly airplanes, without spending as much as i do on the airplanes. (the last plane i built has around $10,000 invested)

So if you have any info on this kite, please post, help a new kid out.

If the attachment works, here is a picture of me and my new plane.

Thanks alot!

Scott :)

post-825-1153194188_thumb.jpg

Wow, nice plane! :) What model is that? Futaba radio, or which? What size engine is pulling that beauty around? Twisting a 20"+ prop, I'd suspect it to be around 3.0 cu.in. - am I close?

As far as a Quad kite goes, I would suggest the Spirit Quad kites (because I really like them as my avatar shows) and also because I'm just about the only one here who ever does suggest the Spirits.

But everyone else will rally 'round the Rev 1.5 SLE, because it's a good kite, and will also fly very well in the winds you mentioned. :)

Either way you go, welcome to the Kitelife Forums!

Hey Scott...

That plane is freakin' awesome ! You sure kite flying won't be too boring ? I agree with Dorsal that the Spirit kite by New Tech is a great kite, alot of fun to fly. I am learning to fly four line with a Spirit. The only other four line kites I have are large foils, so I can't compare with a REV yet. I've got a kite bag that's busting at the seems, and I don't think I've spent more than $1000... yet.

That's one thing... no matter what you're doing, you have to pay to play. You know, the difference between men & boys is the price of the toys...

~Rob.

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

I will look at the spirit.

The plane has a 150cc twin cylinder engine, runs on regular gas, around 16.5 hp, spins a 32" prop, plane has 120" wingspan, weighs around 38 pounds. Futaba radio, JR servos, and it's a 3W Yak 54. (with a DA motor, so you can tell i clash the rival brands). It has cannister mufflers set up to make it quiet, and uses 50 oz of fuel in a 15 minute flight.

I have a few other planes, an 87", and a few around 40 to 50", but this one i will use for competition this year.

Again, thanks for the replies, i will look into the spirit.

Scott

OK, I know that everyone is expecting it, so here goes...

My first quad line kite was the Rev 1.5 and I never regretted it. I think I paid about $225 retail for the kite, bag, lines, and handles. As you can tell from MY avatar, I'm a Rev fan! I have a variety of them, and appreciate their predictability, solid construction, control, etc. That being said, you'd probably like the Spirit also. I owned one for a while, but didn't connect with it.

Glad you're looking at quads. If you're into control, you'll enjoy it. (OK duallies -- time to shoot down that remark!!!)

Doug

Not so surprisingly and in true form, I prefer Revs myself, vastly. Spirits are a fine kite, but, no matter what anyone tells you, you'll probably end up with a rev sooner or later anyways, so, jump to the front of the line now. :)

Figure I'll add my 2-cents in as well, (mostly because I havn't posted anything in a while)

I recently received a Rev 1.5 SLE for fathers day (my wife is the greatest). This marks my entry into the dark side.

All I can think to say is... I LOVE THIS KITE!!!! :)

Which makes me wonder why I didn't go quad earlier?

I have really connected with it. At first I was worried because I have heard from several dual line enthusiasts that it is difficult to make the transition. (dual line habbits being bad for quad flying). 1/2 hour with this kite and I was way past that problem.

Unfortunately in my last 5 outing I haven't even unpacked my dual lines... :)

Later,

Chris

YAY! haha

Since the 1.5 SLE was what caught my eye first, im gald to here that it is a good one.

I found them on KitesInc.com for 219 bucks, with lines and handles, and a DVD (which ill spend lots of time watching when it rains)

http://www.kitesinc.com/Dual-line/Quad.php

I should have all the money i need by the end of today, maybe i can order it soon.

How is the assembly of these things? Does it come in just pieces and the sail with lots of labor needed? I'm used to getting an airplane, and having a box of wood shipped to my door.

Thanks Alot guys!

Scotty

Don't worry the Kite is completly assembled, You just need to put the spars into the right spot, they are all cut to size. It's very simple probably take you a couple minutes at the most to have it flight ready. ya the Rev 1.5 SLE is a great kite to learn on. I've never flown a spirit though so I can't compare them but I do like my rev's. Your plane is awesome by the way.

Haha, thanks for the plane comment.

Looking at a website for the local kite shop, they have 1.5 SLE's with everything for 283.50, and on Kites Inc, they are 219. They say they come with the same things, however, this has me worried that the one in kites inc doesnt come with everything. Maybe the retailer is just overpriced?

Hey Scott,

The local retailer has to keep the lights on, pay the rent, blahblahblah... It is cool to throw the local a bone once in a while, otherwise you won't have them around when you want to go in there and get advice, replacement parts, or just to shoot the sh#%. I paid $120 to my local retailer for a kite that I could've gotten off of eBay for half that. Don't get me wrong, I bought most of my kites based on price, mostly online. My local retailer doesn't have a huge stock of GOOD kites, but she had a couple of New Tech items that I bought for full MSRP.

Best of luck with your new flying activity, flying kites is great, it doesn't matter who makes them.

~Rob.

I went from flying a GFAK bandit til it broke to flying a Revolution EXP that my wife bought me last year on our anniversary. It was only $150 from wind power sports online store and I had NO trouble adapting to four lines! So if you're looking into a rev, whatever the model, I say go for it!!

Nice plane. Now who wouldn't want a P-51 Mustang in that scale? :P

Be it Rev or Spirit, something worth mentioning here is that a quad is controlled very much like an airplane in that you get roll, pitch, and yaw. A dual-line sport kite is pretty much only pitch and yaw.

Welcome to wind power!

as a matter of fact, lol

I AM building a P-51, not quite as big, 84" wingspan, that blue one is 120"

As for the Rev, i think i have decided. I will order the 1.5SLE, and fly around, or try at least, and if i dont have quite enough wind, i will try and get lighter spars, like 3 wrap.

post-825-1153586045_thumb.jpg