KiteLife Forum

I need a light wind kite...

RobB

Hello...

Dog days of summer... it's been stupid hot here for the last week, and the wind has left town. I got to fly for a couple hours last weekend (Friday night) in a nice gentle 5mph offshore breeze, but that's all the wind I've been able to find in the last 2 weeks.

So here's the Q. Which light wind stunter should I get as my first serious light weight kite ? I have a Rhombus Kamakaze, but it's small, cheap, and oversteers horribly. Not to mention it's been repaired countless times, and has really seen better days. Is there a such thing as a 'durable' light wind kite ? I'm learning to fly 4 line with a NTK Spirit, maybe I should get a light wind Rev ? I will probably end up with a LW two line and four line kite in the end, but where should I start ? I've seen Thor's Hammer used indoors and in light wind conditions, I wonder if those were modified with light spars to do that.

http://www.ferob.com/kite/indoor_thor-1.mpg

http://www.ferob.com/kite/ThorBig.MPG

Not that I'm out to buy a $600 kite, but I do have a couple of BIG kites with alot of sail area, and thought that with lighter spars, I might be able to use one of them for light wind. Is there a ratio of sail area vs. weight that I should follow to figure out if a kite is light wind capable ?

Thanks...

~Rob.

prizm makes a quantom pro SUL that is a great freestiler its got a gentle pull and is eazy to trick i have a sheva sul thats a nice flier in 2 mph winds that kite will run you about $200 hq makes a shadow thats good for a 2 to 6 mph wind i also hav a prizm 3d and vapor that both fly in still air and indoors i espically like the vapor its not a fast tricky kite but it will cure the flying fix on a slow day

Hey AntMan,

I like the sound of the Vapor... feeding the fix on a slow day is just what I need. You seem to be into Prism & HQ. Did it just work out that way, or are they better than New Tech ? I have a HQ Force kite, and I'm not disappointed with it, but not overly impressed. I was trying to get a Prism Mirage, but the store was sold out, so I settled for the Force. Most of my kites are made by New Tech, and that's the Dodd influence from the videos.

I do want to diversify, so I think I might look around for a Vapor.

Thanks...

~Rob.

Nice to see my video getting around (http://kytewidow.home.comcast.net/ThorBig.MPG) but it is usually good form to ask permission to put it on another website.....

C'est la vie.

See ya,

Bill Rogers

Sorry, just thought it was cool and that others might want to see it. It was found in a public forum from Europe. No other info was attached. Files have been removed.

~Rob.

Sorry, just thought it was cool and that others might want to see it. It was found in a public forum from Europe. No other info was attached. Files have been removed.

I guess it has gotten around. Hadn't a clue.

You didn't do anything wrong Rob, nothing to be sorry for. Go ahead and post it to your website if you are so inclined. I was just shocked to see it somewhere else and reacted to it.

As far as your original question, I would not get Thor for light wind flying. That video was shot in 4-5 mph wind, and that is about the lowest I like to fly it in. I don't think he will survive being framed lighter, I have broken a couple rods in it now fairly easily and they are 10mm and 12mm rods.

There are a lot of nice light wind kites around, but most are going to be somewhat fragile. Just the nature of the beast. Lighter rods, less weight, easier to break.

PBSK makes a nice light wind kite in the Vanishing Point. If you can get ahold of a Vapor, they are sweet. We use the WSO SUL for team light wind flying. It will fly in almost nothing and has decent feedback on the lines.

See ya,

Bill Rogers

Hey Bill,

I found your video while I was researching the Thor's Hammer kite. I believe I got it from either the

http://www.aerialis.no/

site, or a link to a link from there. I figured all that stuff came from there, and no one would care if I mirrored it over here. I saw the Thor being used inside, and figured a large sail might be the way to go for light wind. I could tell that the wind was pretty light in your video, as well. I decided to get a New Tech Firestorm instead of the Thor, mostly based on price. I've flown the FS in winds lower than 5mph, and toyed with the idea of lightening it up with thinner spars, but you're right, I would just be frustrated with breakage. I am known for breaking my kites in stock form, so it's probably not a good idea.

Thanks for your recommendation on the light wind kite, I'm going to have to do something, because there's no wind again today. Since I'm better at fixing kites than flying them at this point, I'm not too worried about them being fragile, I'll just fix it and fly it again.

Take care...

~Rob.

Rob, how are things going with your Acrobatx?

Also, if you're shopping for a good SUL... You might look into the SUL Jumping Jack Flash from Level One.

Great flier, will do tricks without getting away from you. :animal_rooster:

I know The Kite Shoppe carries it, not sure who else.

Rob, how are things going with your Acrobatx?

Also, if you're shopping for a good SUL... You might look into the SUL Jumping Jack Flash from Level One.

Great flier, will do tricks without getting away from you. :animal_rooster:

I know The Kite Shoppe carries it, not sure who else.

Hey John,

I wish I could say that I've had enough wind to fly the Acrobatx. Like most of the country, we've been getting scorched here in NY. Usually we will get an off shore breeze here around sunset, but it's been hot past sunset, so no off shore. I got 1 hour of fly time in the last 2 weeks. Of course, when I'm working, there's wind, but it hides as soon as I'm off. I'm dying to fly that kite, too, because I've heard that it's LOUD. Nothing I like more than making some noise while flying.

I'll shoot out some pictures as soon as I get a good breeze session.

Take care...

~Rob.

By the way, the lack of wind thing is why I started this post. I dig the name of the kite you recommend, I'm a big Stones fan. It might be my first high-end kite.

I dont think light wind kites are worth it personaly.

Light wind kites not worth it??? Oh man, you must not be located anywhere in the mid-west. If it weren't for light wind kites (SULs) there are many a day that I wouldn't get any airtime at all.

Chris

I dont think light wind kites are worth it personaly.

Light wind kites not worth it??? Oh man, you must not be located anywhere in the mid-west. If it weren't for light wind kites (SULs) there are many a day that I wouldn't get any airtime at all.

Chris

Deff. not, located on the east coast woosh.

No wind! I live 3min from the bay if anything there is too much wind most of the time. When there is no wind I go and train. I also work a job it costs me to go kiting though $3 a shot for an entrance fee, so I always make sure to check the weather before I even put my shoes on.

Hey there...

3 bucks to go fly ? That sucks. Luckily, my beach doesn't charge residents, but we pay almost $1000 a month in property taxes (everybody does on LI), so I better get SOMETHING for my money. I pulled up to one of our south shore beaches, and they tried to charge me $8 to get in, I turned right around. I was there to eat my lunch and have a 1/2 hour fly. I ate and flew behind a school. It's just a priciple thing... wind and scenery should be free.

It seems that Murphy's law has alot to do with wind. When I'm working, the flags are all standing strait out at attention, when work's over or the weekend comes, the flags are all pointing at the ground. &%#&!*@# !!!

So I figure, getting a light wind kite will help me beat Murphy and his stupid laws. I know, he'll get me by breaking my SUL kite...

~Rob.

SUL's a waste of time? wow..... when the wind window is so much bigger w/no wind.

You don't know what your missing. :)

Hey Rob, Was one of Murphy's law's "Rules are made to be broken?" :)

BB Penny

Hey Penny...

Funny you should say that about Murphy's laws. Tired of watching the wind while I'm working, I pulled over today out of traffic and went for a quick fly. The scenery was right, the wind was a little light, but my Acrobatx (from Kitelife) flew like a dream. The heck with Murphy and his laws... Carpe Diem !

~Rob.

By the way, that's the East coast's answer to the Golden Gate in the backround, along with the famous NY

traffic ! :big_blowup:

post-786-1154044217_thumb.jpg

There use to be a lot of days here where our kite club would hit the park and the wind was totally dead. All you could see was a ton of fabric laying on the grass and everyone sitting in chairs waiting for the wind to pick up. Since then I have aquired a Benson Innerspace and no wind days dont bother me at all anymore. Light wind kites certainly have their place and are a necessity if you have limited time to fly and have to depend on mother nature to cooperate.

Murphy, I say "HAH" to you and spite you with my flying pleasure!!!

• 1 month later...