KiteLife Forum

Wind forecast

DannyB

What web sites do y'all find are worthwhile to get a decent wind forecast? I'm in the Tampa area along the Gulf, and it seems like relying on weather.com doesn't give me the detail or accuracy I need to find out if it's worth heading out to the beach to fly. I found windfinder.com. What do you use?

Thanks!

Hi from St Petersburg,

I use the wind finder app basic but can select several locations and choose what is best for wind direction. With all theese guys you have to figure out where they measure the wind. Caus none of them measure at ground level. So may say blowing at 15 mph but just a mild breeze on the ground

15 hours ago, Scooter said:

Hi from St Petersburg,

I use the wind finder app basic but can select several locations and choose what is best for wind direction. With all theese guys you have to figure out where they measure the wind. Caus none of them measure at ground level. So may say blowing at 15 mph but just a mild breeze on the ground

Surface wind is the wind blowing near the Earth's surface. It is measured by an anemometer (speed) or wind vane (wind direction) at a standard height of 10 meters above ground in an area where the distance between the instrument and any obstruction is at least 10 times the height of the obstruction. This is the standard currently being used by most reporting agencies. That's where the wind speeds you see on weather apps are measured. So if 33 feet up the wind speed is 10mph at 10 feet up it will be close to the same if there is enough unobstructed ground around, meaning no buildings, trees, etc. At ground level it will be 10-25% less depending on terrain type, gradient and type of ground cover. If you have an indoor or zero-wind kite wind speed doesn't matter. You just go and fly the kite that matches the conditions. That's why we end up with so many kites.