KiteLife Forum

help - my kite just crashes to the ground!

tommydog

I purchased this kite:

https://www.amazon.com/Control-Parachute-Parafoil-Outdoor-L-W/dp/B00K3DSCMW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

In accordance with other reviews, my kite  lists to the right until it crashes to the ground.  I have not been able to fly it once for more than 2 seconds in perfect conditions.  Despite this problem, there are some users that give the kite positive feedback and report no problems.  The same stock photos and description are also shown on other listings and again there is mixed feedback - with many people reporting that the kite crashes, but are happy with their purchase.  I guess all these kites sold come out of the same factory in China, so it seems strange that the exact same model of kite has such a mixed review.

My question is, are there any tweaks I can make to get the kite to fly?  I know nothing about the aerodynamics of kites and can't understand why this problem would occur.  I have already tried flying the kite with a CIM fuzzy tail, but it makes no different.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I had a kite that was similar to this one  I had to adjust the bridal to get it to stay up. So there are several methods of doing this but generally you take the bridals and make sure everything is exactly the same length. If kite keeps going right look at right side closely and tie small knots to adjust length this is a starting point.there are some pretty good vids on YouTube. Just search dual line bridal adjustment.

Also the kite I had really didn't like to fly in light wind.  One day I took it when the wind was blowing about 15 to 20  flew great . But remember it will pull pretty hard in those conditions. So if you only weigh 90 lbs you might want to reconsider.

Here is a picture of the one I had. Hope this helps

20190505_114741.jpg

I am no single line expert, those that are - please chime in!

I would start at checking the bridle lines. Measure to be sure everything is balanced side to side, Is the #1 line on both sides equal? Check them all. Also check the knot where all the lines come together - is there any twist or could it have wrapped around itself? Be sure everything is "clean" before launch.

Hopefully others will give their ideas.....

Check that the bridle lines on the left are the same length as on the right in respective position. Outer edge left same as outer edged right. One in from edge left same as one in from edge right, etc. The kite will tend to turn towards the side with the shorter bridle length. If every segment is equal, then there must be an inequality in the surface area of the sail. You can't fix that unless you take it all apart and sew it back together, which isn't worth the effort on a kite that cost so little, but there is another way to even things out. Since the kite tends to turn in the direction of the side with the shorter bridle, you shorten the bridle on the side opposite of the direction in which it turns. You can tie slip knots with a stopper in the part of the bridle that comes to the center attachment point one at a time until it flies straight, then measure how much shorter you've made the bridle line on that side and shorten it that much to make the change permanent. You can also change the angle of attack by shortening the front length of the "Y" on each side of the bridle in quarter-inch increments. This will force the kite to fly higher and flatter and will reduce its tendency to turn. 

If none of this helps just go out and buy a kite that isn't a cheap Chinese knock-off piece of sh*t.

22 hours ago, makatakam said:

Check that the bridle lines on the left are the same length as on the right in respective position. Outer edge left same as outer edged right. One in from edge left same as one in from edge right, etc. The kite will tend to turn towards the side with the shorter bridle length. If every segment is equal, then there must be an inequality in the surface area of the sail. You can't fix that unless you take it all apart and sew it back together, which isn't worth the effort on a kite that cost so little, but there is another way to even things out. Since the kite tends to turn in the direction of the side with the shorter bridle, you shorten the bridle on the side opposite of the direction in which it turns. You can tie slip knots with a stopper in the part of the bridle that comes to the center attachment point one at a time until it flies straight, then measure how much shorter you've made the bridle line on that side and shorten it that much to make the change permanent. You can also change the angle of attack by shortening the front length of the "Y" on each side of the bridle in quarter-inch increments. This will force the kite to fly higher and flatter and will reduce its tendency to turn. 

Thank you to everyone that replied, and especially to makatakam.  You have really given me some positive things to try.  I hope to get time to try this over the next day or so.  Just one question about the slip knot and stopper - are there any tutorials documenting this?

Many thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, tommydog said:

Thank you to everyone that replied, and especially to makatakam.  You have really given me some positive things to try.  I hope to get time to try this over the next day or so.  Just one question about the slip knot and stopper - are there any tutorials documenting this?

Many thanks for your help.

Not really -- you want to shorten the line in any manner that can easily be reversed. Google "slip knot". You can use any method you can think of to temporary shorten the line in small increments that won't undo itself under tension.

I have now checked all the bridle lines, and confirm they are the exact same size relative to their position. One thing I did notice is holes in the kite.  I have stuck postage notes over those holes on the kite (see first picture).  I am not sure if they are meant to be there as relief holes for the wind?  But some of the stitching looks a bit poor around these holes and some are different sizes.  Not sure if I should stitch these holes up? Here are some photographs:

0.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Yeah, those holes may or may not be intentional. If they are intentional it is for the purpose of letting some wind pass through the kite which allows flying it in higher winds by reduced some pressure. However, that's some really sub-standard stitching. Kindergarten level. You will notice they are evenly spaced across the trailing edge, so they may be intentional. You can use slit vinyl tubing to close/open them to match wind conditions. I don't think they are the reason the kite flies to the right. It's probably a sewing/symmetry issue judging by the stitching quality. Begin shortening the left side in small increments, testing after each change. That's why I recommended slip knots. They can be easily tied and untied on the flying field.

As I have mentioned, should you get tired of screwing around with it, just find a kite store in the US, either brick and mortar or online and buy something better quality. A brick and mortar store is always your best bet. But if you play with it enough to make it fly correctly you will acquire a great deal of knowledge about how to adjust any kite to correct unwanted effects. It's fun to experiment with what makes things work sometimes, especially if it helps you do it better. Have fun with it. Don't turn it into a job.