KiteLife Forum

TICA 2020

Lon

Looks like the new TICA 2020 is available on the kitesandfunthings.com web site.  What are you thinking about this one?  It is a big kite and very tempting!!  I have spoke to Jon a couple of times regarding it and he seems very excited!!

Just curious what you are thinking?

• Like 1

Well I'm on a blather this morning. Late spring Devon announced the Tica. Been extremely interested since. Nator has gotten me really interested in big kites and for a trick kite 102" seems pretty big. Had a12' and 19' single liners but I got back issues and couldn't safely handle them myself. I've been wanting a Benson Superfly for along time to replace my Hydra. Think it would be more durable for the way I fly and very similar. Been really wishy washy  on it cause  I still gotta Hydra. Beat to hell but far from destroyed with some TLC. It's on the ragged edge of destruction though. Really like the kite so for money spent it's making more and more sense to get another.Restore the one I have for grandkids and newbies. Beef up the new one for me :devil:.Wife is not very sympathetic to this kite addiction thing so treading carefully is a must. She's got a point cause I've acquired a few and saying I NEED another is kinda pathetic.Biggest kite I have is a Condor from the 90's. Not a trick in it but dang good at precision. Doesn't fly much because tricking is my thing.Had a Hawaiian Team but I can handle the Condor a lot better. I'd really like to get a Level One Badass and 0ne Eleven but can't justify a spot in the bag. Looking at the differences in the keel and wingtips of the Hydra, Jinx(Esingers photo) and Tica I get a sense the center mass of the Tica would make it more predictable/stable. In 15 mph the narrow wing tips make me think dumping the wind would be pretty easy. That'd make tricks fairly fast so very doable in moderate winds. My guess is above 12 mph quite a bit easier then the one eleven. Thinking it'd be very different than my other standards and one I really want to justify having. The red just looks freaking cool.By the way since you're talking to Jon T get a Addiction. Tricky, tough and FUN, FUN,FUN. Trust me I'll keep bringing it up. Kite is just a absolute blast to fly. If you're not into fast, twitchy, adrenalin fueled flying nevermind. You should be though. OOPS that's a bit snobby but hey what the hey we all got differing opinions around here.At the start I learned the most on a Addiction. Kite still makes me laugh till my eyes water at times.Sold my first one to get the WMP. Got a Psycho to replace it. It didn't but the Psycho in 20 to 25 mph is just stunning at what it can do. Quicker tricks but has a slower straight line speed than the Addiction.Very similar wingtips to the Tica.C'mon, c'mon some of you folks get a Tica and let us know all about it. Got a AWFUL itch. I KNOW Rob B and Esinger NEED another kite LOL.

• Like 2

Your funny and I enjoy reading your posts!!  And I mean that respectfully!!

Right now I am just sitting here wishing that the wind would pick up a bit so I could get out and try flying.  Perhaps in another hour or so.  I have not even pulled the Widow NG out of it's bag yet as I have been playing with the hydra, but suppose I should just to see what it is like.

If I were to get a Wolf NG, it would be from Jon T at kites and fun things since they seem to have the best price on the kite.  But then you mention the addiction, so I will give it a bit of thought since I will only get one right now and I leaning towards the Wolf.

Perhaps I can drop a hint to the wife regarding a TICA for Christmas.  And I know what you are saying, if she knew how many I have recently purchased, I could possibly be sleeping with them😉  I don't really have that many, but several new ones in the last month or two.

What part of the country do you fly in?

I sure hope someone will scratch that itch!!

• Like 3

Well thank ya. Bit of a narcissist here so flattery will get you all of the little I know LOL.You know what they say. If ya can't be or say anything intelligent at least try to be entertaining.I'm 35 miles east of Colorado Springs CO on the high plains. Got a 150 x 200 yard flying field in my backyard so I get to fly a lot. Into The Wind kite shop in Boulder says on their website we have the worst winds anywhere. I don't know about that cause I've never flown anywhere else. Has to be a humorous exaggeration cause I usually have a pretty good time.The west winds off the lake should give you some winds a lot of us inland fliers only dream about. When I replaced the Nighthawk and Addiction Nighthawk was first. IMO get the Wolf or something similar. You Tube the kites and you can see why. Jorge Gouverneur gives the Wolf and Nighthawk a good go.

How cool to have an area to fly in your back yard and you are right, I need to head out to Antelope Island and fly there.  It is a bit of a drive, but might be worth it!!

So I ordered a Wolf NG today and submitted my request to Santa Claus for a red STD TICA.  You should have seen the look in Santa Claus's eyes when she saw the price😲  Oh well, it's worth a try!!

Now if I could just get some wind a blowin.

• Like 3

Dang I'm excited for you. You got 3 way different kites and with hours of practice they'll all fly in 3 mph. IMO wear out your stock dyneema lines. Widow with the 150# and Wolf with 90# is enough at the start. Had Laser Pro pretty early on but it was months before I could really feel a big difference. Quads is a different deal. Somewhere in the back of my mind I think I try to destroy my Nighthawk so I can get a Wolf. Remember that it won't be as stable as the Hydra or Widow. It's more twitchy and if you use the same type of inputs the oversteer will be quite dramatic. It doesn't take long to figure out. At the start it's one you should hold onto the straps instead of looping them around the wrist for sure. When the crash is coming let go.Yeah it's been said before but it is extremely important for confidence. The first breaks rattled the heck out of me. For now that should be the way for all your kites. As I developed I ended up wrapping around my wrist and doing a lot of inputs with my index finger. In higher winds I add the middle. As you get better no way is right except what you like. Dodd Gross in his videos just grips the straps and I think he might be a pro. I have a tendency to be a little kite snobby but that's not my intent at all.I've got 5 high end kites that are the bomb. Been at this 2 years next month and doubt anyone would outgrow a Hydra, Widow ng or Wolf. Yeah the feel of the high end ones is better. Tricks seem smoother and can be more rewarding. No they're not as well rounded as a Tekken(favorite). My boutiques have a more airy feel to them. The dance is more elegant. Can't really see it but you can feel it.If you get a Tica it won't take long to get the drift of what I can't really describe. Here's the thing though the high end ones have never exceeded the FUN factor of my other kites. Having fun is the most important point of all this kite stuff anyways. PLUS ya got quads too!! WOW did you jump into the deep end of the ocean. Hey that's cool I didn't drown and neither will you LOL.

• Like 2

Thanks Breezin, I hope the Christmas wish list works out!!  As for the Wolf, it will be a few because I think they are going to have to order it from Premier in the color I wanted.  No biggie.  Have not had any wind anyway, but they are saying we may have some in the morning.  So maybe I can get out a bit before I have to go to work.

Good idea on holding the handles.  Its been awhile since I have crashed, but I am not going to say that it can't happen.  Thus far I have always wrapped the straps around my wrists, but i have noticed in the Dodd Gross videos what you are referring to.

I can say, I usually do have fun if I have enough wind to fly and I would love to live closer to a beach!!

One kite not mentioned that I have is a Slingshot B3.  It is a 3 Meter, 2 string, foil lite that will flat drag my ass around the beach if the wind is up.  Earlier this past summer we were in Lincoln City on a fairy windy afternoon and it got the best of both my son in laws, my son, myself and sadly my daughter before were were finished.  But we were all smiling and had stories to tell.  And in some cases, video😂

• Haha 1

Since you will have 3 very capable yet different standard wind kites the Tica UL might be the better get for you. From what Devon says the slowness and strength of the kite makes it easier to understand for newbies than most kites. Another kite that I probably shouldn't have passed on so fast is the Benson Deep Space UL. 1 to 15 mph range but never found in depth info on how it would handle inland bumpies. My newbie curve was late fall to early spring.Not that many low wind days during those months. Yanking, cranking and guessing on 3/4 kites in higher winds is a blast buuttt. The conventional wisdom is the bigger slower kites for a newbie take someone further faster. Widow ng fits that bill for standard winds. 

On 10/16/2019 at 5:22 PM, Lon said:

fairy windy afternoon

Never flown in Fairy winds before. Must have been magical LOL.

• Like 1

Ha, ha!!  Someday I will learn to proof before hitting the send button!!  I would say it was a very windy day!!

Wolf NG should be here on Monday!!

I did fly my quad some yesterday and it seems I split one of the vertical rods a little.  It's weird because what appears to be a split is located towards the bottom, but does not go clear to the bottom.

The quad is a Rev 1.5 Classic so has the reflex feature with the springs being able to just slide off of the rod.  But I went over to see Kent at A Wind Of Change and with the rods he had, the springs were and integral part of the rod.  They could not be removed.  So he was going to check with Lolly at Rev and see what I have.

So I flew that kite and also my Freilein mid vent quad.  I had a good time although the wind was maybe a little strong.  But I figured it was better than no wind!!

I should have checked with Kent on the Wolf.  He had a couple there priced at $115.

No - the springs can be removed. Either just pull them out or cut whatever is holding them. Those springs are just added on.

Never been a fan of the new fittings Rev is using. Don't feel like there is enough of the "tongue" inserted into the rod end to hold all the pressure. Feel like it was a solution looking for a problem or just change for change sake.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...