KiteLife Forum

Models, quad kites manufacturers.

Lioko27

Latam latawcami domowymi (od wielkiego twórcy), ale ponieważ latawce mają około 10 lat, zacząłem szukać nowego sprzętu. Znalazłem kilka interesujących modeli, ale nie jestem pewien, czy je przeczytałem, więc proszę, jeśli ktoś zna inne modele lub producent niż dotyczy i ich zastosowania.

* Latawce rewolucji

* Djinn

* Oskusa 

* Windrider   https://www.emmakites.com/collections/quad-line-stunt-kites

Phoenix Pro

* Revopolo

* 3 Wiatr

* Abs

Detox

Diablo

https://esste.com/

*  Fulcrum

* Kitetec  https://www.kitetec.co.uk/

* baSic  http://www.feine-drachen.de/

* 4WD

* Eliot  https://www.facebook.com/pg/FlyingSmilesKites/photos/?tab=album&album_id=412964748717457&ref=page_internal

Orao, Swiss made by Andi, Elphi-Kite Design, JL Kites

In your list above, Windrider was one of the kites that most have not liked. From any reviews I've seen over the years, most say poor stitching, bridles out of balance, rods not well made = problems. With the list you have made, either you are dealing with the maker directly or with an established store. Except the Windrider ....I know it is usually cheaper, but is that savings worth little to no support?

14 hours ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Orao, Swiss wykonane przez Andi, Elphi-Kite Design, JL Kites

I wish I had a link. I'll read it. As far as the price is concerned, it is known that the low price is causing low quality...

windrider with transport costs and taxes will come out around $ 300. And for $ 400 I have Revolution XX in my country.

34 minutes ago, Paul LaMasters said:

opps! you're missing one of the true master class quad-lined builders from your list, Eliot (the Shook Mesh) ~ Flying Smiles Kites,

he's made like about 300 of 'em for at least 500 USD ea and they are worth every penny, ask any owner!

+1 on Making sure Eliot is mentioned here. His kites no longer carry the Revolution Brand name. That also freed him to make improvements and Revolution would not have allowed.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/FlyingSmilesKites/photos/?tab=album&album_id=412964748717457&ref=page_internal

IMO colors is the last criteria of difference. the most important ones are the materials and craftsmanship involved. Revpolo is one single canvas with design printed on all others are having multiple panels sewed together creating the design. the way how the panels are shaped  and sewed is changing the air flow. Another difference is the general shape, some bigger or smaller,the V shape deeper or not,the angle of that V is another difference what count. Bridle is also one of the most important difference making the frame to keep more or less the tension on the sail.Frame lighter or heavier, elasticity of frame, carbon or graphite frame. material for the sail himself is making a difference to,some have more stretch than others,some are lighter and tinnier.

for sure i miss a lot others differences but you can not have all the good things on to a single kite without to think at the retail price so...some compromises are done between all the good and bad to create a product what will sell 

The newer models, like the Djinn, have improvements to the panel design, bridle and other features than have over time been shown to improve performance, as well as improvements/reinforecements that have been shown to reduce wear. Many of the original and older designs have not yet begun to put these improvements into their kites. The less expensive kites are known to have panels designed to look good instead of performing well, lower grade materials, inconsistent sewing and poor quality construction overall. Ask Edmond about the first quad kite he ever owned. He got a really good price, but not much else. The less expensive kites may also have lower weave density lines which will bind more quickly in less spins. You get what you pay for. Your VW Beetle will not perform like a Mustang, and the Mustang will not perform like a Ferrari. The problem is when you pay for less than a Mustang and get much less than a Beetle.

• Like 2
  • Like 1

dam right Mark, i flayed that kite probably 20 times and i learned a lot from but after that the center panel just ripped of in mid fly. i used the general shape and spares to build myself a new and bit bigger one and surprisingly is acting really good in 2-5 mph 

And by the way this is mi daughter VW Beetle 1.thumb.jpg.1acb26ca29b1ad7103a7bf1d7d2c9e84.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Edmond Dragut said:

dam right Mark, i flayed that kite probably 20 times and i learned a lot from but after that the center panel just ripped of in mid fly. i used the general shape and spares to build myself a new and bit bigger one and surprisingly is acting really good in 2-5 mph 

I remember it well. 😂

• Like 1

I have a 10 year old kite which still years at 3m/s But the material is already scattered. As for sewing I have no objections because his shove has a few dozen models from the Kites NASA, by kites to powerkiting, the kite type Revo. So far in my country there are only kites Revolution, in the spring may be Revolution XX TARANTULA. 

8 hours ago, makatakam said:

You don't have to take them off. Just turn them around.

I purchased a 1.5 classic recently and the springs are made to just slide off of the vertical rods.  This make it very easy to try with or without.  Or as makatakam suggested, the rods can just be turned.

One of the rods with my kite appears to have an issue.  Kent, at A Wind Of Change, indicated that he had a spare.  When I went to pick it up, the reflex wire was secured to the rod under a wrap material and he was unsure of the one I had.  When he checked with Lolly, she indicated the rod I have is a new design.  Make it easier to fly with or without.

Yes, they were taped on originally, a bit of wire with no real adjustment possible.

The recently introduced new springs are standalone clips that can be repositioned to adjust the glide or removed completely. Better design overall I think. If you want them you could remove them when packing up, and if you like the glide effect you can fine tune it. If you don't want them, slip them off. 

My only reflex has become my loaner kite, getting less love than it probably ought. 

I would love to try all those other kite designs, at least enough to feel what makes them unique. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frob said:

The recently introduced new springs are standalone clips that can be repositioned to adjust the glide or removed completely. Better design overall I think. If you want them you could remove them when packing up, and if you like the glide effect you can fine tune it. If you don't want them, slip them off.

frob, you mention fine tuning.  How is this done besides sliding then on and attaching the velcro?  I am sure what you are saying is correct, I'm just not sure how to do it and how you effect the kite by changing them.  Seems a number of you may not like the idea.

Thanks!!

I don't see the link right now, but they made a video showing it. The new springs can be slid around for adjustment. Placement of the spring relative to the velcro changes the tension. 

Attaching it low relative to the velcro gives lower tension, attaching it high puts more tension on the spring. That translates to a deeper shape on the sail, which affects the glide. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 5:17 PM, Lioko27 said:

What's the difference between Revo or other copies besides the color of the color and the look? Detox or Djinn have another...

I can only talk about the Detox that we are proud to manufacture. Actually it is difficult to find the similarities with a traditional quad line kite, it is definitely not a copy of anything made before, an evolution seems more apropriate (just like all stunt kites are an evolution of the Peter Powel kite ...).

In the Detox, the size is different, the shape is different, the LE, the fittings, the bridle, the reinforcements, the materials, the 3D shape of the sail, the knotless construction, the magnets, the interchangeable lead lines ... all in the kite is thought in order to make Detox a competition toolbox for the competitive kite flier.

In flight it is really aggressive without loosing any precission, ultra fast turning, perfect straights, really sharp corners, great trickability, axels, flic-flacs ... just seen someone making axel takoff to continous axels to axel cascade with it this weekend ... oh my.

It is made to be beaten to death and to take any abuse the competitors put on it. Covers the full wind range with STD, semi, vented and extra by now and the Super ultra light and tempest versions coming later this year.

An always evolving project we like to think of it as the ultimate tool for performant quadline fliers and we couldn't be happier with the result and the reactions from the owners. It is the current Euro and UK champion ... looks like it works ;O)

All that said with maximum respect to other creators, there are so many fantastic kites out there, we just can speak of our own creation. If you want bigger explanations you can have a look at our newly released site (it is in the list)

Thanks for reading!