KiteLife Forum

Models, quad kites manufacturers.

Lioko27

21 hours ago, Bill Clay said:

Glad I could introduce you to the world of Shook Meshes Rob! I just ordered a 40% to round out my collection :)

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Hey Bill,

So happy to have shared that wonderful beach @ LBI with you for the weekend ! That Shook was a joy to fly compared to my old FV, I could barely tell there was much wind at all ! 

• Like 1

Shook mesh masterpieces offer the wind range of 1-1/2 to 2 normally vented wings, two kites for less than that price is why over 300 have been  individually ordered.  It should NOT work as well as it does!  The most popular model is situated exactly btwn  a full and mid-vent,.... what does that mean?  A Shook 75% is almost always the right kite.  During a large gathering you'd see all the models being flown together, not in compromising arrangement, NO, each pilot honestly feels their kite is right, the frames stiffened or allowed more flex, based upon preferences by the owner.  Smooth and all graceful ballerina dance or leaping like a hungry cheetah ?

Do you want a unique flight experience on four lines?

• Like 1

I fly on a rigid arm because only that's how she is available at the decent price... the upper flexible frame is about $50. And the stiff comes out about ten bucks, but it's fragile. I had soft (pipe 2.4 M. I could be seen in a circle) but it was very heavy, she weighed almost twice as stiff.

• 2 months later...
On 10/30/2019 at 5:47 PM, riffclown said:

... since the patent ran out ...

Curiosity only question, of no useful value, but when did the patent expire? 

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5120006A/en?inventor=hadzicki seemed to expire in 2009 but Hadzicki-wing like kites didn't really seem to appear under other "brands" until 2015 or later?  Was this because of the "master builders" Rev used or the in-house Barresi's, etc., which went away eventually?

• Like 1

Your research is probably valid as to the dates. Without getting down into the weeds, Revolution had (and still has) a large loyal following and they defended the design against all comers aggressively.  Anything not having the Rev brand was label a knock-off or copy and in many many ways that is an accurate assessment.

Short version is once the floodgates were opened, it took a bit of time for something of quality to overcome the "cheap copy" that had prevailed..

OSK's Freilein and Bazzer's Phoenix are the ones that really made the difference early.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

Shook's mesh masterpiece kites have been around a decade or longer too, he's another vendor making a profound impact on the industry,.... three hundred times at least!

large.20110529-shook.jpg.dec5a9b0f6c1b4d

Relaxing summer of 2011 with Shook mesh #46 in 31 mpg average gusting to 37 mph winds, Texas temp 106F. 

• Like 1

@Paul LaMasters We are actually in agreement but for the sake of this particular topic Eliot stayed with Revolution for a while after the fallout. He and @Cath did indeed pioneer new ground for Rev and have continued to do so since that parting.  Bazzer and OSK were blazing the ground non-Rev very early after the fallout, even while Eliot was still sewing the Rev Brand on his Masterpieces.

Eliot is still the master of all things Icarex and I owe the vast majority of my kite building skills to his tutelage.

Eliots Flying Smiles Mesh's and @John Barresi's Djinn are both extremely important to the final mix but neither of them were doing their own brand yet during the Phoenix and Freilein timeframe.

Like Bazzer with the "quarter vents", Eliot is doing things now that Rev would not let him do. The Djinn mixed JB's original concepts with Pro reinforcements and his innovation with the Sync bridle. Innovation has (and is still) happening but it is spread across several people now and not exclusive to Revolution.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hello flyers. In the search for a possible new kite I came across the sparrow from droile d'ouseau. Looks pretty interesting to me but other then the descriptions I cant seem to find any other information about the kite. I was hoping there is someone here that has flown this kite or has some more info on it that could share it here.