KiteLife Forum

String length

Fred Wagner

Full vent -- sure, no problem. Midvent would work too. How steady the wind is would the deciding factor. You fly the lower of the shifts. Fifteen would be uncomfortable with a standard sail. I would definitely want vented.

Safe would be what you make it. Safe for the kite, and safe for the people near it are both important. The kite can be repaired easily and at lower cost.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Agreed about wanting at least a mid vent.

If the weather station said fifteen but the actual flying field was in a bowl surrounded by trees, go for it. That local wind is lighter than the prevailing conditions. 

If it was light but gusty, say 5G15, sure the standard sail would work but you must be ready to dart outside the wind window at strong winds, then right back as it powers down. 

If it was a steady 15 off the ocean I would strongly recommend a full vent, even consider a loan to a stranger rather than watching them stretch and harm their standard sail. 

• Like 1

locally, we use the division by three calculation.

Take the forecasted weather's wind speed for that day and divide it (1/3rd) to find what you'll actually experience at ground level flying a sport kite.  5 to 10 mph becomes 1-1/2 to 3-1/2

I believe most wind measurements are taken between 300 and 500 feet in height and even on 120s you're seldom up above 80 feet.  This is accurate for me generally in the mid-atlantic states all year long.

• Like 1

The wind that you see on weather reports is normally measured at 10 meters, roughly 33 feet. When presented as a speed and not a range the high end is what's being reported to accommodate transport, construction and other industries.

• Like 1