KiteLife Forum

Backspin/Moebius

Jon.B

Backspin/moebius

I'm trying to understand the instructions for the backspin/Moebius, as described in the above link.

"Fly up to somewhere approaching the top of the window and start a downward turn by pulling the left hand. As the kite turns left and the nose passes the 9 o'clock position, pop the right wing with a gentle axel-like motion. This causes the right wing to be pulled towards you and the nose of the kite to lift up so that it is spinning flat on its back in an anti-clockwise direction (looking from above)."

The confusing thing for me is when it says "pop the right wing" after turning left.  I assume it means the left hand?  Otherwise I don't get who this would spin counterclockwise, or on its back

Is the idea here to pop the wing that I'm already pulling in to turn, so that wing scoops underneath and the nose comes forward into a fade, the letting the momentum carry it past the fade position?  I haven't been able to find any videos of this.  Later it describes it as an inverted axle.

• 4 weeks later...

The name is confusing  -- the trick I linked to is not the same as what is called the backspin nowadays, which starts from a fade.   The "moebius" described in the link is starts from a turn (not a fade).

I was having trouble visualizing the move, because it seemed like popping with right hand wants to make kite spin clockwise -- but the point I missed was that this is done with nose pointed down slightly pointing to left, so right wing is actually slightly left of vertical, so the pop pulls the wing up to flatten it out on its back while also imparting some counterclockwise spin, which is then continued with an left hand input once kite is nose away to complete the rotation. 

Seems maybe this is just a name for a Taz Machine, just started from a turn instead of a horizontal pass. 

Not that I can do a Taz Machine either, but I had much better success recently with half axle, I think my inputs previously had been way too gentle (since an axle from a stall in my kite doesn't take a huge input, I didn't realize how sharp the tug had to be for a half axle.. )