KiteLife Forum

Benson Deepspace UL vs Superfly UL for Learning

Astro123

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new kite to help me learn freestyle tricks. I've been able to do a few so far. I am able to consistently backflip as well as axel and snap stall, and I am sometimes able to do fades, 540s, and Yoyos. In addition, the winds where I live are usually very light and inconsistent. I've been learning on a few kites. The Prism Nexus, 4D, and HQ Maestrale. I'm looking for a light wind kite capable of many freestyle tricks, but is also reasonably easy to learn with that flies well in extremely low winds. I've been looking hard at the Benson Deepspace UL as well as the Superfly UL. Are either of these kites could kites to learn tricks on, but also to progress with? I've read that the Deepspace UL has a shallow backflip, does that make the Lazy-related tricks a lot harder? I've also read that the Superfly STD is very aggressive, is that the case with the UL variant?

Thanks So Much

I love the superfly STD and UL.

Its easy to learn tricks on, both versions almost give you tricks. Once you have enough slack in a line, you have to use small precise hand movements.

The UL does not fly at less than 2mph, that is when I use my 4D.

I have not used a Deepspace so I cannot compare.

I hope this helps.

I have flown both and think they are equally good kites.  The Deep Space certainly doesn't sit particularly deep in a backflip, whereas the Superfly loves it.  The standard can be a bit difficult to get out it is that stable.  The SF UL is a really nice kite, but it is a UL and does need complementing with the standard to get the full wind range.

15 hours ago, Astro123 said:

Thanks. How stable is the super fly UL in a fade. Does the UL variant tend to like small sharp movements, or smooth larger ones?

It's a couple of years since I sold my SFs and a lot longer since I sold my DSs, so TBH I am struggling to remember that accurately.

Both the SF and DS are both designed as freestyle kites and as such respond best to small purposeful hand movements.

Regarding the fade, I recall the SF UL being very well mannered with no major downsides, so it must have been fine in a fade.