KiteLife Forum

Tail Length

Zig

I have a 6 stack of nexus 2.0 prism kites. 

Lines are 100ft by 300# LPG 

I currently have satin ribbon tails I have fabricated that are 2inches wide. I can customize the length from 32ft and below. 

How long should my tails be? Thinking about maneuvering and avoiding tangles or catching the tails on the stack. I have yet to fly the stack and at this time just need the tails to be attached. Wanted some feedback before cutting these ribbons tails down. 

I am not sure it's a good idea. I know it can be done, and has been discussed a few times over the years, but it is also not common. 

Tails can be whatever lengths work for the condition. Many tube tails are built to be attached end-to-end, last week I saw 300 feet of tail on a sport kite. But that's on individual kites. Tails are a source of drag, brakes if you need them in higher wind. The drag is also variable. 

As for the stack, it complicates things. On the flip side to tails, stacks add sail area increasing pull. Stacks need to stay together, stay coherent, otherwise they fly terribly, but that is the opposite of what tails would do. 

Catching the tail on another kite down the stack would be another concern. Single line would work for tails on a train, but on a sport kite you can twist around the tail if you are not careful. With a single kite wind blows it away, but with a stack, it will depend on speed and the shapes you fly. Tails at the end of the stack wouldn't snag down the line, but would slow the individual kite, pulling it behind the stack a bit losing coherence. It can work, especially with slow and steady flying, but the longer the tail or the faster or more erratic the flight, the bigger the risk. 

It could be fun, but I won't want to untangle the mess after the tail takes out the stack with a wingtip wrap.