KiteLife Forum

Starter Trick Kite Recommendations

nb10

I am late to the kite game but I just got home from university and found my dads old kites an have been flying them. He has a trlby dual line tripe stunt kite and now I got hooked. I did some research on which kite to buy but I havent been given any recommendations. 

I am new but heres what I think I know.

I think I want a kite which is capable of advanced tricks like half axle and onwards but is still durable (I am a half decent flyer but slightly concerned about breaking fragile standoffs...). Dyneema lines. Price range about $150 and under. Standard wind range 5-20 ish (not an ultralight). Not a power kite. 

I initially looked at the Nexus 2.0 but then weaned away as it seems less capable in stunts. Maybe the quantum 2.0? Most of the online sites dont mention what tricks the kites are capable of so I am a little bit lost at figuring out what is right. 

What I have come across are:

HQ

• Jive III 
  • Yukon

Premier

• Raptor 
  • Nighthawk (where can i buy this? is there a new model)

Sky Dogs

• Crossfire Comp
  • Free bird

It seems like most people just buy prism because its difficult to find recommendations or reviews of these kites. Does anyone know about these options or others which they would recommend? Also should I wait 2 weeks till black Fridays or there wont be any deals for this niche sport? Id love to get a nice deal or a used kite. 

I am still a beginner but I would like to have the ability to advance in the hobby with this one kite. 

Thank You. 

Noah 

• 2 weeks later...

A Jammin' from Skydog would fit that bill but I did notice it wasn't on your list. Pretty sure a Crossfire is a earlier model than the Jammin' but both are not "new" models. 

Have a look in the classifieds for someone selling a higher spec kite but second hand. Some definite bargains to be had. Or. Even post a wanted ad in there.

Second hand can be great to learn on as you will be less concerned about keeping it crispy new. Allowing you to concentrate more on the sequence you are working on. 

Have fun.