KiteLife Forum

Pigs might fly

pigsmightfly

New to the forum. Just started out building kites, starting with one from sculpting the sky. Probably running before i can walk here but I have a boar skin and id rather fly it then use it as a rug so i'm looking for tips on how to get this pig flying! from my understanding the kite must be symetrical or is it balanced? Also unsure what kind of weight I can expect to lift considering the surface area and, most importantly how to get create the structure of the kite itself. i'm thinking something single line edo-dako esque. what are other peoples thoughts?

373404515_824521356001688_165880997103496460_n.jpg

Wow you might be the first to fly a pig.  Maybe you can sew the skin on to a piece of kite fabric to make it easier to make friable. Also you can attach string to multiple outer parts to then attach to a light weight frame. Clear mylar would look cool to just see the skin. A big fighter kite frame is easy to build and light weight. Let me know how it turns out. Love your imagination of considering this great idea.

Forgot password to site so just respond to email. Put stand offs on the top spreader on homemade mirage kite to make sail very taut. Also removed exsess slack by folding and sewing the sail with very little slack. Looks crappy but all I care about is functionality. Will send a picture, almost done

On 9/7/2023 at 5:17 PM, Michael Marmaras said:

Wow you might be the first to fly a pig.  Maybe you can sew the skin on to a piece of kite fabric to make it easier to make friable. Also you can attach string to multiple outer parts to then attach to a light weight frame. Clear mylar would look cool to just see the skin. A big fighter kite frame is easy to build and light weight. Let me know how it turns out. Love your imagination of considering this great idea.

I wasn't sure if it needed to be that flexible. The skin itself is cettainly windproof and i'd like to avoid gluing anything to the skin itself. Ill put together a plan for a frame and see if it makes sense to you.

A 3 spar six sided design would give you plenty of places to attach the unusual shape. It won't need to flex and this design flies good in strong wind usually with a long tail. Probably solid carbon rods would be plenty light because the skin is on the heavy side for a sail. Have fun. 

On 9/9/2023 at 6:20 PM, Michael Marmaras said:

A 3 spar six sided design would give you plenty of places to attach the unusual shape. It won't need to flex and this design flies good in strong wind usually with a long tail. Probably solid carbon rods would be plenty light because the skin is on the heavy side for a sail. Have fun. 

Does the shape itself not need to be symmetrical and balanced, or just balanced more than symmetrical? And by six sided you mean something like this? 

IMG_7692.gif

Balanced is usually more important. You can try different bridle attachment points to remidy that. A 3 spar frame can also be shaped like an A with the horizontal spar being a little longer on each end. There is no wrong way to do it, just try something out you like. Seen a 3 stick kit with a tee shirt made in minutes that flew great. Just go for it and have fun. My homemade stunt kites don't look very good but fly pretty well.

• 4 weeks later...