KiteLife Forum

YourFirstGroupFly?

Guru4tru

Hi,

The wind was rough today...over 20 mph gusts, dropping down to nothing in a split second and the Elvira would just fall from the sky as I ran backwards to save her! But I figured if I was in a "group fly" today I would have brought everybody to the ground several times! :kid_loved:

And I noticed that "somehow" 3 weeks have already passed since TISKC Festival...that only leaves me about 48 weeks to get good enough to have the confidence to fly with the semi "Big Dogs"!

I know everyone learns at their own pace and also that the reaction time for us old guys isn't quite what it was when we were 18, but I'd like to know:

1) How long were you flying your Rev. before flying in a group fly?

2) Where were you flying at?

3) What did you have to do?

4) How did it go?

Thanks!

Keep It Up!

Duane

First time I tried was one year after I started flying, but the only time I had flown before this was for a week one year earlier. I did nt yet own a rev. I could not stick with it long, as I could not control my speed.

The first time I was able to stay with it was a year later, where I was doing blenders, and benefits along side iQuad.

Long Beach, WA WSIKF

I wouldn't say there was any thing I had to do but keep up.

I know everyone learns at their own pace and also that the reaction time for us old guys isn't quite what it was when we were 18, but I'd like to know:

4) How did it go?

Duane,

1) About one month ...

2) At an IKE club get together ... same place where I met the group at the Pontiac Kite Festival.

3) Show up! Seriously, I showed up with a full sail and the winds were about 20 mph. Mike Kory said the full sail wouldn't work, so he loaned me a vented kite. We messed around for several hours and then Mike asked if I wanted to fly with him. As soon as I said yes, two others came over and I was number three in the line up. We did some follow the leader stuff, bursts, and other simple stuff that was commensurate with my skill level. One of the guys told me to do a vertical hover and he flew through my lines ... I was too dumb to be scared.

4) A couple of times my brain froze, but no real problems. Everyone was very patient with my flubs. I learned a ton of things to practice during the next month. In hind sight, it was one of the best things I did during the first few months of flying.

So, don't use your age as a crutch, get out there and DO IT!!

Cheers,

Tom

About a year and a half

Berkeley Kite Festival

Get 120' lines and get in line with John Barresi and six others

4) How did it go?

Surprisingly well. Nearly never fly alone. Much prefer flying with others, especially my wife, Lynn.

Thanks!

Keep It Up!

Duane