KiteLife Forum

Made a quad line winder

Airbrush

Hi!

I do not want to belittle your effort and work. But with the right line management you do not need to wind the lines separately. 

In fact, it is more effective and faster to knot the upper and lower lines together and wind the left and right lines together.

@John Barresi has a video about this in his tutorials.

• Like 2

No offense taken. I have watched most of John's great tutorials and also wind lines all together. Just trying something different to see if I like it.

They are not really wound separately, they are simply kept separated by right/left line set, upper and lower are knotted together. I just keep a finger in between each line set as I wind.

• Like 1

Thanks for the links...I don't have any issue with line tangles/management as I've watched both line management tutorials from John and Joe and that's what I'm using here, it's a bit of a hybrid between the two I guess where Joe mentioned he liked to keep a finger between the line sets as he winds. I saw that an thought, well if you're keeping the line set separated between your fingers why not modify the winder to keep them separate as well and see how that works out in the field.

Just experimentation really and will see how I like both methods/winders in usage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't really comment on UL or SUL quads, I just have standard models.

I recently got a Freilein Windrider 4 and flew it today. The quality seems to be  good, tucked T connections on leading edge, end shock cords are also knotted to inside leading, pocketed knots on bottom, so everything is snag free. The bridle seems to be what may be called an 'active' bridle and also has an extra line from bottom to center which is to help in flic flacs so bridle doesn't catch on the 'feet' manufacturer says.

Here is a shot from first flight.

Screen[4].jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In usage, it does take a little more time winding and unwinding than a typical card type winder as you can't just 'rock' the line off. 
For me it just avoids the frustration of the odd time you do actually get things tangled up, the extra time trade off is worth it to me, but to each their own.