KiteLife Forum

Smaller resolution videos, open to anyone.

John Barresi

4 members have voted

1. 1. Create a public video section in the downloads area, with smaller resolution files?

• Yes
    • No

Another project for the list, not immediate, but in the near future I think...

I'm considering taking a healthy portion of the video archives and making smaller resolution files (maybe 320×200 and lower quality) in another section of the downloads area for the general public (and non-subscribers)... Mainly, I just want to make the material more accessible to the general public and I think small resolution video is enough to provide some inspiration and reference, even if it's not exactly high quality video, while keeping the cost of operations reasonable. :D

It'll be crucial to keep the files around 5-10MB each... Ray Bethell's video (about 25MB) shut down my site a number of times due to bandwidth before I moved it over to YouTube, cuz it went crazy viral a couple years ago... Also, I may be able to set some sort of a daily download limit on that section to avoid going over on the bandwidth.

There's a significant time investment to complete this task, I'd very much like to hear what you think.

So, I've got a poll on this topic... What say ye?

I think this would be a good way to get more people interested, and could be used as a sort of teaser to get more people to subscribe. However, I think that adding the more downloads could be just more stress for Kitelife, when you could just upload them to YouTube. My thoughts would be to setup a new YouTube account called KitelifeArchive or something to set it apart from your regular Kitelife account and to keep all the commonly available archive videos together. Then, there could be a link in the videos section sending the user to the "KitelifeArchive's videos" page on Youtube so they can then browse the video with all the selections in front of them. This would also reduce the amount of updating to be done with each upload as there would not need to be a new link for each video.