KiteLife Forum

Big Rev. Day!!

Guru4tru

Thanks you'all again for the help. I've got the picture and I'm sure it will be just what I need. I'm still working on Tristan's two step throw, but I'll put that aside for now and work on this before I get back at perfecting that!! heehee! :)

Keep It Up!

Duane

Well, as a newbie on quads a bit behind Guru4Tru (Duane) ... here is my take.

I stood beside Ben as he (swoosh) thr.. (whack) ew his (zoom) k.. (sheemp) i... (snick) t... (thimp) e (loeik) around on short lines for a few seconds. I asked him if he always held his hands horizontal, palms down, when the kite was inverted. He said "definitely".

I've done a little practicing (Northwest weather is sh... now), and find the position logical. I keep my hands oriented to the kite, except when the kite is inverted, as my arms do not have 180 degree rotational ability. So the palms-down position, brake lines outward, seems quite reasonable.

However, I have noticed that as I practice, the above rules naturally become "bent". When I am "into" the kite, and not concentrating on my hand positions, my hands (and arms) start bending the rules with quite good results.

So, at this point, I would advise keeping the hands aligned with the kite, when the kite is oriented upward, left, or right. Put the hands horizontal, palms down, when the kite is oriented downward. If you fly a circle, this does require a quick flip of one wrist as the kite goes through 3 or 9 o'clock.

Then fly and gradually forget the rules as your body and the kite connect. Watching the good fliers, their orientation does not seem to be clockwork and their hands usually not parallel - and I doubt they could tell you afterward how their hands were oriented. (Well, except JB who insists he holds his hands at 30 degrees - I'll have to check his videos :ani_rtfm: )

Thanks Howard,

That seems to confirm what I'm doing out there that is making the inverted flying work. There were some times I forgot about my hands and had them in different positions and was still able to hold the inverted hover...until I thought about it!! :doh:

--------

And by the way, that's Guru4tru...with a small "t"...the capital "T", and only real Guru, is with each of us!! :ani_rtfm:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Now back to my "Quad Handle" post question. Why isn't a 13" quad handle called what it actually is...an 11" quad handle? :confused!:

Why isn't a 13" quad handle called what it actually is...an 11" quad handle? :confused!:

Duane,

But it is a 13 inch handle ... they started by cutting off a 13 inch piece of stainless steel tubing. That piece was then bent, drilled and fitted with the various pieces. Just 'cuz they're only "about" 11 or so inches across the D-rings, doesn't make them into 11 inch handles!!!!

I agree with you though, it would make more sense to label the handles by the distance between D-rings, but Joe got to the naming convention before we did, so ...

Cheers,

Tom

... You mentioned that you hold the handles parallel the ground when you do inverted hovers...

I stumbled on this video again today ... Polo is an excellent European flier. Look at the video at about 1:45 and you'll see him holding the handles in an "A" configuration like John describes.

Cheers,

Tom

Polo is one of the best Rev pilots I've ever seen, he's mighty good...

Interesting to note though, his upper body doesn't move very much at all while he flies, instead relying on forward (less brake) in his tuning to achieve loading in the sail.

It also over-accelerates his fast forward flight though, making it a bit unwieldy for less experienced pilots, imho.

No slight to him at all, style is style... Just identifying traits for the sake of discussion. :kid_content:

Duane,

When you get a chance to fly with your wife, here's a French team that is fun to

and learn from. Those kites are mega-vented ... about 33% of the sail area is venting. It must have been a very windy day there to use that much venting, but they still made it seem easy.

Cheers,

Tom

WOW! Those guys are good! Did you see that one part where one of the kites flys through the strings of the other,,,never saw that before!

Yeah...my wife and I will have to work on that! heehee! Kiting is the first thing we have incommon since our son left home...and at our age it's better then sex!! :kid_content:

Keep It Up!

Duane