KiteLife Forum

hi all

adybud

hi all, have just started this kite flying lark and having fun as well as problems. have been and brought a rev 1.5 sle and 80 foot lines. have tried various meadows around the local area and have found that any meadow with trees etc around it has been giving me grief. suppose they are down draughts and the like. anyway i was getting a bit jarred off so i came up with a plan. have seen john barresi using 30 foot lines and the like, so plan came into action. i doubled the lines back on themselves and hey presto, 40 foot lines,had got the bull by the horns. was up and down, left and right,inverted and on edge. now,was this the right thing to do as i was experimenting and it worked, am now wondering what length of line i should now use and where to get them from in the uk. if you have taken the time to read this then thanks a lot, cheers, ade

adybug, welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it here.

Don't forget to check out the Rev forum for some of your questions. Baloo might have some info on folks in your area ... he lives cross country from you. Getting some one-on-one help is the fastest way to learn with Revs.

Yep, trees will make flying more difficult. Theoretically, you need to be ten times the height of the trees away from them to get clean air. Ane, three times the height of any trees in front of you. In practice you don't need quite that amount, but you still need a good run of clear land to obtain smooth air.

If you can fly on 40 foot lines, you'll have no trouble flying on longer lines. With longer lines, the wind widow gets bigger, the kite speeds are reduced, and the brain has more time to think. Group flying calls for 120 foot lines as a standard length. Your local club/group will probably have a standard length of lines for small group flying ... generally in the 75 or 80 foot range. Check around before buying another set.

Cheers,

Tom

Welcome indeed. Good to see another UK Rever pop up.

I crashed and burned so many times when I first started. A bit better now though. Keep trying, it will suddenly click.

Try to read up on how to set the lines and kite up both here and on the Rev Forum. Have a look at he various tutorials available.

Best f all, get together wit other Rev fliers if there ae any near you.

If you can get to Portsmouh Fest you should get some help, the best fliers in the Country will be there, and Ben from Rev. Dont stan and watch. Ask and you will get more help than you can handle.

Ask for Felix (Decs) or Stephen (Flying Squad) sorry guys sort of dropped you in it there. Or many others, even I can manage to hlp you tune it and get it in the air.

Portsmouth Fest would e a good place to be. Or Bristol, or just keep on keeping on yourself.

All the best.