KiteLife Forum

Quantum Kite caution.

JoneZ

Was flying my Quantum yesterday in 10-15Mph winds, when my left metal line connector clasp (its a little "C" shaped clasp/towpoint that you larkshead your line to, then close/lock the clasp) sheers open, popping my left line off, then flatspinning to the ground. 0.o

One of my left standoffs was missing when I went to inspect wtf happened. lol. I think the clasp must have whacked the standoff pretty hard, because it was gone gone. The backing came out, and there was just the hot poke hole there. I searched for a while looking for the standoff, but couldn't locate it.

...A moment of silence please, for the fallen...

Theresa's gonna fix 'the boog' (kites nickname) up for me on Thurs. (Thx T!!!!)

Word to the wise? Don't use those metal bridle clasps on the Quantum, or any model that has them for that matter. Just larkshead to the tow point knot. They are fine for light winds, but anything higher puts a tonne of stress on them it seems.

I'll upload a pic this afternoon, once my cam. batteries are charged.

Cheers. :w00t:

Heres a pic of the thrashed Tow points. :w00t:

Took it in to the kite shoppe today, and Theresa fixed the boog all up. :P Thanks again for the standoff, the SOC's and the tips T :D

Cheers all. Bed time.

post-3353-1211432821_thumb.jpg

Yup, have to agree with you. The clips are suppose to be a convenience but I find them more of a pain than anything. I usually tell everyone how to remove them and just larks head to the bridle line. Not sure why Prism is using them and kinda wish they would change it but ah well. Another benefit to taking them off is that you lose some more weight off of the kite. Larks heads are just so easy and quick. :w00t:

Theresa is great She is fixing up my silver foxes with the good stuff .So I don't have some thing break every time I fly.In my opinion The carbon they use for there kites must be the cheepist stuff on the planet :devil: . My prism kite's though suffered through all my newbie crashes with never a broken rod torn sail or parts falling off. good winds to all :w00t:

• 5 years later...

Hi New to this Forum, and i just got a Prism Quantum, I saw these clips and thought omg what are these.

I have just got back into kite flying after over 35 years of being away from it, so i went and did all my research to see what is new and how things

have progressed. I see we now use the Larks head hitch to attach the lines to the bridle, but when i saw these clips i was stumped.

So my question is, should i take these clips off and use the normal Larks head hitch to attach to the bridle?

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1

Hi, welcome to the forum.

a lot of people seem to think these clips are more trouble than they are worth. It's easy to remove them and just larkshead your line to the tow points - this link is actually a Nexus but the Quantum is exactly the same.

http://prismkites.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1211657054

Hi New to this Forum, and i just got a Prism Quantum, I saw these clips and thought omg what are these.

I have just got back into kite flying after over 35 years of being away from it, so i went and did all my research to see what is new and how things

have progressed. I see we now use the Larks head hitch to attach the lines to the bridle, but when i saw these clips i was stumped.

So my question is, should i take these clips off and use the normal Larks head hitch to attach to the bridle?

Cheers

Danny

Hey Danny, glad to see you on the forum, welcome. KiteLife is a great forum to join. I had forgotten about the clips that had been on one of my first Prism kites. Now I remember that I took them off right away as I did not like the looks of them. Join us on chat, we'd all like to hear from you. I too flew kites many years ago & recently got started again. Now it is something I do year round. Your Quantum is a great choice. Hope you're enjoying it every chance you get.