KiteLife Forum

Kite Lines

outsync

Hey peeps,

When I bought my Rev 1 SLE, the vendor sold me 2 pairs of 120' Dyneema lines.

After flying a bit in high wind and reading up here I tested out the line length. I noticed there is about 2'' difference on the pairs. There is even a 1.5'' between one off the lines in one pairs. I tried to correct this by adjusting the line sleeves on one end, but It looks like the line sleeves are glued to the lines. Atm I have some flat knots in one end to adjust a bit, but still its feels like the kite kind of drops off to the left when I try to hover.

Since I'm not really used to sleeve the lines myself, and my local kite shop does not have any premade quad line stets I would consider buying a new set off lines.

Also I'm not really sure what to get? Would I go for 150# x 120' or 140# x 100' spectra lines?

So what would be a trustworthy reseller that is able to ship to Belgium, and where I could order online?

Thanks in advance

Outsync

Hi Outsync, welcome to the dark side.

Check to see if the sleeving is actually glued to the lines. Often the end of the sleeving and line are melted together with heat to stop them unraveling. If the sleeves are knotted into loops carefully undo the knots untill you have straight sleeving, carefully measure and mark each line so that it is the same length under the same amout of tension. I find this is best done if all the sleeves are the same length, you can then carefully place each sleeve at the mark and fold in half to re-knot. I use a double loop type knot, make an overhand loop and then thread the end through twice if that makes sense. (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. Re-measure each line once all are knotted.

The other way is to cut the sleeving loops off one end of the lines and resleeve them. I found the best way for this is to get some thin wire, I used a guitar string, one that is single wire not the twisted one. Fold the wire in half. Then get some sleeving or strip the centre from some bridle line. Cut 4 equal lengths if you are doing one end of the lines 8 if both, dont forget to get 2 colours, I use black for the bottom, I need to remember, John says black for the bottom :D Thread the sleeving carefully onto the folded wire (the wire needs to be like guitar string or piano wire to do this) then heat the ends of the sleeving slightly to seal it. Place the line you have marked for length into the loop in the wire with about 6 inches through, carefully pull the line through the sleeving using the wire. Once it is through line the end up with the mark on the line, carefully fold the sleeving and line and tie with a double overhand loop. CAREFULLY heat the loose end to seal the sleeve and line together to stop any fraying.

Oh yes put the other end of the line around a stake so that it is easy to compare lengths, and make sure you have the same coluored sleeving at each end of a line. I did a wonderfull job of equalising a line set, only to end up with the sleevings mixed up.

Hey presto you have lines that are eqaul, or at least you might on your third or fourth attempt if you are anything like me.

This makes sense to me, but then I wrote it ;)

I bought my line set from Theresa at The Kite Shoppe. http://www.thekiteshoppe.com she

posted them out to me in the UK no problem at all. It was part of a bigger order and shipping

prices might be high to you from the US.

She was very helpfull and makes the lines for iQuad. I went for 90lb 120ft lines as that is what

was recommended to me. It is a bit of a long walk each time you have to sort your kite out but

you have more "space" to work in when flying.

Length of lines is a bit of a personal choice, there are different reasons for different lengths

besides that however. some tricks are better / easier on shorter lines. I like the long ones though

I do have lines from 75ft up for "normal" flying. Have made some shorter ones but not tried them

yet.

Hope this might help.

Regards, Chris.

Revolution kites are pretty touchy to line measurements. If one line is off the kite will not fly the way it is designed. Most pre-made linesets are pre-stretched and measured to be within a couple centimeters. Problem is that one pre-made lineset will not be the exact same as another pre-made lineset and could vary by a foot or more depending on how the person making the set felt at the time.

What I would suggest is to purchase a sleeving kit (or some sleeving material and a guitar "E" string/piano string) and re-sleeve the lines you have. The weight should be fine and dyneema lines are fairly good quality lines. Granted they are not as good as 100% spectra lines but they will work if you have nothing else around you.

Just stake one end of your 4 lines to the ground and pull the other end taught. Place a mark across all four lines when taught and then slide your sleeving down to that mark. Fold the sleeving over and tie off. Cut off the excess and you now have a quad line set that is equal. ***oh yea..your sleeving has to be the same length for this method to work***

To use the piano wire/guitar string, just fold over the wire in the center to form a point then fish the point of the wire through your sleeving material. Once it pokes out the other end, thread your line through the point and pull about a foot or so extra to keep the line from sliding through. Pull the piano wire (and your new line) back through the sleeving. Slide your sleeving to the mark and tie off.

As for what lineset to purchase, I would recommend either 90# to 150# in whatever length you feel comfortable with. A line in that weight range should be plenty strong for your 1.5 without any worry of breaking. I-quad and most other teams use 120 foot, I personally like either 75 foot or 100 foot when flying solo. The longer lines do give you a larger window to play in and also makes the kite a lot slower and graceful. Shorter lines pep the kite up a bit and can be fun. Its all personal preference really.

Because you are in an area where linesets may be hard to come by, I would highly suggest purchasing a spool or bulk line and some sleeving material (or sleeving kits) and start making your own linesets from it. It would be cheaper in the long run for you and you will have the ability to make multiple lengths for your flying style. Now that you know how to sleeve them it is easy to build a lineset. Plus if you ever do happen to break a line you can simply replace it with a new one without the shipping or down time. We sell pre-made linesets in all weights plus we can build custom linesets in any lenght you need. We also have bulk line in stock as well as sleeving kits.

Hope this helps.

I agree w/ wind the shorter lines of about 75-80 ft. should be long enough for a beginner. Unless you are in strong wind all the time your lines are going to have a lot of lag at 120 ft. and if you're a new quad flyer chances are you aren't going to be ready to fly team this year.

I've never worked w/dyna lines, so I can't say if they are glued on, but I wouldn't think so. It's not hard to sleeve, or adjust sleeves as a general rule. Sounds like Wind can set you up with what you'd need, too. Good luck.

BB

Penny

Mine work fine Ant, just wish Theresa had taught them a bit better. Ask her if you can get yours ready trained, a lot easier that way :D

Cut em up at Wildwood for me Ant, wish I could be there to watch.

You keep an eye on that stallion!! ;)

Thanks a lot for the quick replies.

Gonne place an order for a new set of 90lb 120ft lines with The Kite Shoppe and a few sleeving sets.

So I can have a try on resleeving the lines I have to 75ft without being in a situation that I mess up and can't go flying ;)

Will keep you posted on my sleeving attempts

Outsync

Good plan. do let us know how you get on.

Dont cut them down to 75ft straight away. Try resleeving the end as it is B4 you cut in case you make a mistake? Or try sleeving a shorter bit.

It really is fairly easy to tie the loops. Just a bit frustrating getting them all to the same length. I think it is almost easier to make a new line set from a spool of line than adjust existing ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update:

I managed to adjust the sleeves on my current line set, had some issues with our cats while doing it, but thats an other storry, I seem to be able to handle my rev better now, and my sleeving confidence was boosted a bit :w00t: .

I went ahead an ordered a new 90# 120' quad line set at The Kite Shoppe, I only have to wait until my Rev 1.5 B Purple/Black I ordered ,is ready for shippement to get the new lines and NEW Kite :):)

• 3 weeks later...
Hey peeps,

When I bought my Rev 1 SLE, the vendor sold me 2 pairs of 120' Dyneema lines.

After flying a bit in high wind and reading up here I tested out the line length. I noticed there is about 2'' difference on the pairs. There is even a 1.5'' between one off the lines in one pairs. I tried to correct this by adjusting the line sleeves on one end, but It looks like the line sleeves are glued to the lines. Atm I have some flat knots in one end to adjust a bit, but still its feels like the kite kind of drops off to the left when I try to hover.

Since I'm not really used to sleeve the lines myself, and my local kite shop does not have any premade quad line stets I would consider buying a new set off lines.

Also I'm not really sure what to get? Would I go for 150# x 120' or 140# x 100' spectra lines?

So what would be a trustworthy reseller that is able to ship to Belgium, and where I could order online?

Thanks in advance

Outsync

Sleeving or resleeving a line set is extremely easy! When you buy the sleeving it will have instructions with them on how to best tie the knots. It is super easy to do. Even if you totally mess it up all you have to do is untie it and do it again. If they have glued the set you have just cut off the sleeves and put new ones on. As long as all 4 lines are the same you are ok. A 119’ 10” set is just as good a 120’. If you are a new flyer and already have 2 120’ sets I sure don’t see a reason to put out the cash to get another one. They don’t ware out for years!

You mention in another post you are going to Orlando and bringing your kites. If I were you I would think about taking an hour trip either east or west to fly on one of Florida fantastic beaches. There will be a big difference in wind. I fly on Cocoa Beach so if you do head that way PM or email me and I will go fly with you. I can’t help about in Orlando; I’m not into traveling an hour for inland winds.

If you choose the west coast check out thisl

http://www.sunsetflyers.com/Pictures.htm

Its all good.

You mention in another post you are going to Orlando and bringing your kites. If I were you I would think about taking an hour trip either east or west to fly on one of Florida fantastic beaches. There will be a big difference in wind. I fly on Cocoa Beach so if you do head that way PM or email me and I will go fly with you. I can’t help about in Orlando; I’m not into traveling an hour for inland winds.

Its all good.

I have a free day on saterday, depending on what my co-workers are up to I might just rent a car and head over to Cocoa Beach to meet up with you.

Looking forward to flying with you.

I'll keep you posted.

Its all good.

I have a free day on saterday, depending on what my co-workers are up to I might just rent a car and head over to Cocoa Beach to meet up with you.

Looking forward to flying with you.

I'll keep you posted.

great just let me know when.