KiteLife Forum

First time out with the new Cherry Bomb

p23brian

When we left home for the field it seemed like we had enough wind, but it didn't quite work out that way. We didn't have enough consistent wind for the kite to generate lift. The puffs were probably 5 mph or so, but it dropped off from there. We'd launch the kite on a puff and it would gain altitude, but as the puffs passed it would come back down. I had checked the lines beforehand to make sure they were the same length, but it sure felt like one was a little longer than the other when they were on the kite. I'll have to take a closer look.

Yep, as Ant says. Use a ground stake, anything will do, tent peg, bit of dowel something like that. Stake the end loops to the ground then walk the other ends out so you can check the lengths. Put a bit of tension on when you do this.

If they are not the same re-tie the loops. You will find plenty of info on here to help you.

Hey p23,

I use an big old screwdriver as my ground stake. I find it easy to stab into all kinds of ground surfaces. Hard pack grass and dirt gave my store bought kite ground stakes terrible trouble.

Best thing about the big screwdriver... .25 cents at a yard sale !

~Rob.

If the lines are just a very little off its not that bad.Dacron lines do tend to be stretchy and heavier than spectra line. At this time of year the winds can be puffy check your aria for good open spaces and have fun .

Some lines that I bought semed a little off once, but the straps came with pigtails on them. I just removed one of the pigtails and it was fine. (I have severall sets of straps for different line lengths that I just keep attached to the string when they are wound up.)

Some times a solution can be right in front of your face, but you just can't see it.

If there is no super easy solution, to ground stake works good too. I just use an old steel rod that my Step-dad managed to bend one end for a handle with plyers and a concreat floor.