KiteLife Forum

Line weight for (quad) team flying?

dragonfish

I am aware that 120' is the commonly accepted line length for team flying, but what about line weight? Is there a particular line weight that almost everyone uses or just plain works better for team flying? Also, how important is it to have the same weight lines when flying team?

I typically fly at the Berkeley Marina, where winds can often get pretty strong, so I've been recommended to get 150# lines. However, all my current line sets are 90# and they seem to work fine for me. I want to get a 120' line set so I can fly with others and get in on mega flies if I get the opportunity. I'd like to get something that would work regardless of whether I'm flying at the marina or somewhere else. What would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I'd agree on 90#. I do not actually own any outdoor line sets other than 90#. Some people use 50# when the wind is really light. As far as 150# goes, I've been pulled down the beach and had the bridle break before breaking a 90# line set. Now days, because of the presence of the Xtra Vent, 150# line is unnecessary unless you are in some sort of tropical storm.

As for what works for team flying, there's not really any particular reason for standardization. 90# is the all around standard for rev flying in general, so any teams end up using that weight any way. Would there be an issue of people on a team are using different weight line? Not unless it is an extreme difference, no.

I've used that 50# line for team before!! Have to be a little careful during the wrap/unwrap phase, around others that are on 90#, but generally no big problems!! Just seemed like the 50# got "locked" easier in a wrap! But it is nice to all use the same # when flying together!

Hi dragonfish, I actually cut my teeth on the Berkeley Marina in the early 90s, my formative years in kiting...

High winds during the summer, often light and swirling in the winter or early spring, at least when I was there.

These guys are spot on... 90# is pretty much universal, and will sustain on a vented Rev up to 20-25mph if you have a decent hover and some basic speed control.

50# is really fragile and while it can be done, it's almost never used for team - although I LOVE 50# for solo flying is super light winds.

The other line set we DO have in our iQuad gear is 150#... Only used occasionally, and not so much for fear of breaking something lighter, but it slows the kite down and makes things more manageable in 20+ mph - sort of like adding 5-10% more venting to the kite - smoother and less jumpy.

90# and 150# lines can mix in teams (happens in mega team quite a bit), although it's generally recommended to have matching line weights for more complex (crossing/weaving) maneuvers.

Watty and I are headed down to Berkeley for the festival in July, be sure to say hello or grab a lesson... And, I hope you've been enjoying that big inflatable airplane? :D

Thanks everyone for all the info. I think I'll be getting a 90# by 120' set soon.

John and Watty, I'm excited to hear you'll be coming to the festival in Berkeley. I'll be sure to say hi.

As for the inflatable airplane, that thing is HUGE. I must admit, I'm a little scared by the size of it. Considering that I have next to no experience with dual line kites (or large display kites for that matter) and that I usually go to the marina by myself, I decided to play it safe and not try something I maybe can't handle on my own yet (yes, I'm a bit risk averse too). Someday...

I got myself a 150# line set way back when but hardly use it now that I have a full set of venteds - easier to change the kite than to change the line.

When I want to REALLY add drag I just use my 300-400# lines that I fly my Blasts on ;-)

Thanks everyone for all the info. I think I'll be getting a 90# by 120' set soon.

John and Watty, I'm excited to hear you'll be coming to the festival in Berkeley. I'll be sure to say hi.

As for the inflatable airplane, that thing is HUGE. I must admit, I'm a little scared by the size of it. Considering that I have next to no experience with dual line kites (or large display kites for that matter) and that I usually go to the marina by myself, I decided to play it safe and not try something I maybe can't handle on my own yet (yes, I'm a bit risk averse too). Someday...

You should be alright with the inflatable plane in 8-15 mph, even if you're not terribly experienced... It's not designed as an efficient airfoil, and doesn't generate quite as much pull as you might expect, it's also surprisingly slow... I'd suggest a launch on 150# or 200# lines, and simply drop one handle (hold onto the other one) if there are any problems... The kite will collapse, stop pulling so hard, and slowly drift to the ground.

I'm dying to hear about it! <grin>

Worst comes to worst, we can always help you sort it out in July. ;)

• Like 1