KiteLife Forum

Quick Question from a newbie

PereiraM

I am new to Revs but have fallen in love with it. My question is on my first time out I followed the suggestion of putting the lines on the pigtails of the handles on the forth knot. It seems that when I was flying the kite forward if my hands pushed the top lines to far forward the kite would loose power and fall out of the sky. I checked the bridals for any wraps at the spar tips and they were fine. Is this just a matter of a newbie not doing things right? I did manage to keep the kite in the air most of time but this would happen every once in a while. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. BTW I look forward to trying to meet up with Jason Wheeler at the Wahoos stadium at some point as I work across the street at the Levin building. I am Flying the 1.5 B Series btw.

I am new to Revs but have fallen in love with it. My question is on my first time out I followed the suggestion of putting the lines on the pigtails of the handles on the forth knot. It seems that when I was flying the kite forward if my hands pushed the top lines to far forward the kite would loose power and fall out of the sky. I checked the bridals for any wraps at the spar tips and they were fine. Is this just a matter of a newbie not doing things right? I did manage to keep the kite in the air most of time but this would happen every once in a while. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. BTW I look forward to trying to meet up with Jason Wheeler at the Wahoos stadium at some point as I work across the street at the Levin building. I am Flying the 1.5 B Series btw.

Pushed your hands too far forward??? Do you mean you tried to reverse the kite and let your thumbs go forward?? There is a wind window, did you fly outside of it? Not too clear on the exact issue - sorry.

Hooking up with Jason will more than likely solve this problem!!

Did you bring your right hand in towards your body some, to keep the top of the kite sail, up? You'll see a lot of us offsetting our hands, always keeping the wing that is on top, up there by bringing that hand in! Very seldom will you see anyone fly with both hands absolutely even!

Light winds will make this even more apparent! A good learning wind speed is in the 5,6 - 10,12 mph zone! The kite flies easily in that range and you can concentrate on what you're doing and not on keeping the kite flying!

Jason will help!!

• Like 1

The winds were light. say 5 to 7mph. I did move the top hand back to give the kite lift on the upper sail. I will definitely try moving to the forward knots to see if this helps improve it. Thank you all for responding. I have bee watching every video I can find but I have not found anything that covers this. I just bought this kite on Friday evening and it is my first quad. My son wants one for himself now so I can tell this is going to get expensive but well worth it with the time I will get with him. I just want to be able to give him as much help as possible so if I inundate you all with questions I do apologize in advance.

• Like 1

It sounds like you did have too much "drive" on the kite. When the winds are howling, that speed accomodates your aggressive hand position. In lighter flying you may have had it so far forward that you were just not getting enough air into the full sail to create enough lift. Maybe said another way, you got too far out over your ski's. It's not just all gas and brake. It's a balancing act between the two to stay under control.

I'm probably closest to the newbie who does what you did, but this is how I understand it from what you were describing.

• Like 1

Thanks TMadz. That's what I was thought was happening. it would start to move forward and then just lose power. So move the lines out towards the kite on the top pigtail two knots out and then give it another go sounds like what I am going to try. Thank you all for the great information.

What I'm working on and as how I understand it, go out one knot at a time, The object is to see how many knots out you can go until you can barely launch. People describe it as learning how to fly with as much brake as you can. It's definitely a learned skill. Practicing low wind skills is supremely beneficial. or so the story goes.

As much brake as you can stand, but still launch!! My analogy is a car transmission - std or auto. All things equal - flat ground, car idling - you put an automatic in gear and eventually it starts to move on its own. With a std tranny what happens? Nothing! You have to "put it in gear"! Pretty much the theory of brakes on the kite - you have to give it commands to do something, not have it just go off by itself! The Rev selling point is control - how you gonna get that if the thing just shoots off on its own whenever a gust hits? All we are aiming for is a "neutral", a place that puts the kite in a "need to be told what to do" type attitude! Puts you in control!!

• Like 1

To tune your handles and leaders turn the kite upside down, keep adding down until it will reverse from inverted, that's how much you need

assume 3 or 4 times the lengths comparing top leaders to bottom

That will feel real weird in the beginning, move the tops in an inch if you have to, beyond that is counter productive

I had a chance to go out this evening and give the advise a go. I am happy to say that it made all of the difference in the world. I flew without a crash and did some of the standard moves explained in the video. I could not get the smile off of my face. I also got to teach my son a launch and to brake and then hover. also to bring it back down evenly. we had a great time this evening. Thank you all for the help.

• Like 2

I had a chance to go out this evening and give the advise a go. I am happy to say that it made all of the difference in the world. I flew without a crash and did some of the standard moves explained in the video. I could not get the smile off of my face. I also got to teach my son a launch and to brake and then hover. also to bring it back down evenly. we had a great time this evening. Thank you all for the help.

Great, now get out there and smile some more.

When in doubt,

... add DOWN tuning first and see if that is an improvement towards your "neutral" expectations of flight.

if the kite doesn't "lock in",

then maybe the lines, leaders & handles need to be adjusted slightly. Drop the lines from the kite bridle onto a well-placed stake or fence post and pull the handles backwards tight. Align the two handles as evenly as possible, grip firmly and sight directly down the string towards the stake. The longer line will show itself (as you slightly give slack). Do the top lines and adjust, . . . . then the bottoms, don't be in hurry. I tune with the handles in the opposite place too (colored electrical tape marking one is in my left hand to tune, then flown from my right) This is a front-end alignment on your race car. You don't want to be going towards the wall EVEN as you're desperately trying to steer straight! No, you're after a set of control dynamics where the kite does all the work. You are just relaxing, giving it gentle commands to be instantly obeyed in flight.

A few versions, each kite for different sets of specific conditions,

insures you can always fly regardless of the wind. From none to bookin'!!! (or indoors up to when the porta-potties are being blown away). If you are working too hard, then it's time to change your tool to something more appropriate.

Well after spending an hour or so with Jason Wheeler (RajinCajun) out at Maritime park things have now started to click. Thank you Jason for the time. it was awesome. Made some adjustments and I am a very happy camper. I got to fly his full vent and that was pretty amazing. I have definitely fallen to the darkside.

• Like 2

Great looking kite. I'll bet the color really "pops" when it's flying. Looks like a great field to fly in also. Where is it?

P.S. -- The cookies will be served next week at the IKE (Illinois Kite Enthusiasts) retreat at the Indiana Dunes State Park in Michigan. Come and get some!

• Like 1

The park is in Pensacola FL. It is a minor league baseball team stadium with a park. It is really nice for night flying as well. I believe JB and Jason Wheeler have pictures posted from a night fly during a fireworks show there. I really wish I could make that event to grab some of those cookies.

• 2 weeks later...

So there was some great wind this morning in Pensacola so I got the Rev out and got some flying time in first thing this morning(5:30 am). I am so glad I did. I finally figured out the inverted hover and can now not get this rather large grin off of my face. Another AH HA moment in the books. I even got it to slide a little in both directions. I worked on hovers for about 2 hours and I am just thrilled. Thanks for all of the advice from you all.

post-8190-0-36337500-1412340798_thumb.jp

• Like 2