KiteLife Forum

Gday Frankieflyin here.....

Frankieflyin

I understand how tuning works. In stronger winds you want more angle on the kite so that it isn't square to the wind and therefore has less sail harnessing the wind so therefore more control.

Sent from my GT-S7275T using Tapatalk

Tuning is personal, but from a performance standpoint, it's actually opposite... Higher winds call for a squarer sail (longer tops), lower winds need just a little more lift (shorter tops).

That being said, I never adjust more than 1-2 knots (2") due to wind speed increases or drops, same 3 knot range every time.

• Like 1

Now I am really confused jb. You say in stronger winds you have longer tops. Yes. This will make kite on an angle so it won't be square to the wind. Lighter winds you want kite square to wind to harness all available breeze. This to me means more equal top and bottom lines so kite is squarer to wind..

That's what I understand.

Am I right or wrong in what I am saying?

I don't understand comment.

Stronger winds require longer tops. Yes. But this is not going to make kite square to wind. It will angle kite, therefore have less drag from wind. Oh I'm understanding concept but my brain gets tangled in a knot[emoji30]

Sorry. Brain wave.

In lighter winds you want more angle on kite to give more lift.

Therefore longer tops.

Stronger winds you want more balanced set up to eliminate the forward drive from rev. Therefore top and bottom lines are closer together to being equal length. Hence kite sitting squarer which means less forward drive.

Is that what you are talking about????

Thanks again jb. My brain isn't its best first thing in morning. [emoji42]

in NO wind you want the kite square to the wind, you are maximizing the available pressure (without any movement on the part of the flier)

In high winds you don't even want it available as square at all! You want to bleed pressure off of the leading edge, even when going forward.

Balance point, .... where is that darn stationary hover? (imagine using only one finger on each handle, find your "spot")

In the beginning of flight lessons the difference in lengths between tops & bottom leaders is at least DOUBLE, as your skills improve that proportion will increase, (I am at 3-1/2 top lengths for every one on the bottom, my measurement is a "fist full", 10 hours a week since '96 on mostly Revolution kites)

it must back-up inverted from resting on the ground, leading edge down, or your tuning is not properly engaged.

It is only the tiniest of differences between forward and reverse flight, ... where is your neutral?

My neutral is close to balanced. I fly better with 15 knots of wind because I can feel the kite. Can feel which lines need more pressure to achieve desired results. From what I can make out with everything people have said is:

High winds you want balanced setup.

Light winds you want tops longer to angle kite for maximum lift.

No wind again more balanced to maximize sail area.

I think my problem is that im using same settings for light winds and strong winds. That's why in lighter winds I always have to give whump to keep kite up. But if I made top longer by one knot this will angle kite and hence provide more lift.

Am I getting closer to the mark?????[emoji15]

in NO wind you want the kite square to the wind, you are maximizing the available pressure (without any movement on the part of the flier)

In high winds you don't even want it available as square at all! You want to bleed pressure off of the leading edge, even when going forward.

Balance point, .... where is that darn stationary hover? (imagine using only one finger on each handle, find your "spot")

In the beginning of flight lessons the difference in lengths between tops & bottom leaders is at least DOUBLE, as your skills improve that proportion will increase, (I am at 3-1/2 top lengths for every one on the bottom, my measurement is a "fist full", 10 hours a week since '96 on mostly Revolution kites)

it must back-up inverted from resting on the ground, leading edge down, or your tuning is not properly engaged.

It is only the tiniest of differences between forward and reverse flight, ... where is your neutral?

At festival of the winds I was flying almost 10 hours a day!

I respect that everyone is trying to help.

I also respect that you have been flying longer than me.

I respect that you know what you are talking about. ...

But all this talk has confused me like what happened at festival of the winds.

I have always flown to feel. That's how I taught myself to fly. If I am unable to reverse up from a hover. I tune my leaders. Simple.

Tune accordingly til I'm comfortable. I think what everyone is saying that I need to have more control with reverse flight. Since rev has a lot of positive drive already built in.

Am I correct?

• Like 1

At festival of the winds I was flying almost 10 hours a day!

What i think you are saying is that handles should be in the slouched position (as jb says) thumbs pointing up at you as the balance point. [emoji102] [emoji106]

• 2 weeks later...