KiteLife Forum

Indoor Flying Practice

Penny Lingenfelter

We are staying with ED the Vice Mayor @ An Exceptional Bed and Breakfast. We love it there. Hopefully we'll get the room with the hot tub again. We've met a few people at breakfast there and they come out to fly when we're outdoors. We're going to get Ed a membership to the AKA for a thank you gift. He'll like that. :kid_smartass:

BB

Penny

• 3 weeks later...

Lincoln City was awesome. The only sad part was after rerigging my indoor kite and single handle I lost good reverse. I cringe everytime I see the video.

Scott W. doing beautiful large reverse overhead circles with his Indoor Rev. told us if something happened to his kite he would have trouble getting it to where he needs it to do that. I can so totally relate. I spent two days on it. I'll be back in the gym at the end of the week to work on that.

The show the Parks produced for us turned out fantastic.

In the competition, I placed near the end. Wayne Turner told me what a difference there was between that fly and the same routine the previous month where I took 2nd. It was nice of Wayne to discuss it with me.

I told him truthfully I hadn't even listened to that music since the comp.

When I want to place, I practice... When I'm concentrating on other things, (real life, haha) then I can compete as what I refer to as "filler'.

We stayed at Ed Kunz's "An Exceptional place to B & B" again. With the hot tub in our room. What a blessing that was. We watched an eagle and a seal while sipping our morning coffee. We highly recommend him. He gave me the keys to the city, (He's Vice Mayor) but I gave them back. We met his mom, sister and brother who were visiting from the east coast and CA.

Another couple stayed the first night. They were so funny. Then they came to the indoor and flew. I believe they flew almost everything they could.

I met a family of dancers/performers who came to see the show and tried a couple of kites. Don't be a bit surprised if we see them with kites in the future.

Susan Gomberg, our First Lady in Kiting paid me a wonderful compliment. :sign_kitelife: Something like, "You know when you first started wearing costumes, we thought whatever floats your boat. But your costumes and routines keep getting better." That meant a lot to me. I'm not done yet you know.

One of the newspaper articles said that I was 50. I told the reporter almost 50, but we were both on cell phones, so I'm sure she didn't hear that. That's ok.... Steve loves the idea of being married to an older woman. :P I've still got a good 10 years of flying in me. And why don't they ever say how old a man is? Huh? :P

Giving lessons at Lincoln City was so much fun, tiring, but so much fun.

Seeing Deb & Ken and Rhonda and Lindsey, the Parks, Scott W. and Lam just to name a few, made it a terrific weekend.

Kathy Goodwind of Goodwind Kites in Seattle told me the best advice she could give me would be to go other places and see kitefliers. If Lincoln City keeps makeing this event the supreme event that it is, I won't have to. All the best Kitefliers will come to us!

Thank you all who made this event such a success. Here's to a bigger, better show next year!

Best Breezes,

Penny Lingenfelter

"The only sad part was after rerigging my indoor kite and single handle I lost good reverse. I cringe everytime I see the video."

There is such a difference between the Arlington fly and the show. One of the link lines on the the handle had broken and it was about 1/2 inch shorter. So I moved that handle to compensate. It took a while and was becoming very responsive. When I put new even links on the handles I put all four handles on the ground, nice and even. I've pulled the handles up and out trying to find my sideways reverse, so far with little success. I'm wondering if the one line shorter was an advantage?

Of course a lot's been going on. Grandma was getting ready to pass on. We were taking turns staying with her. She made it past Arlington, She made it till I got back from Lincoln City. She hugged me tight and said, Penny, I love you, I love you, I love you to death. The nurse said, that's what she needed.

Grandma and I had a nice visit while I fed her dinner. We're close after 10 years of daily phone calls. She got to hear about the kids, grandkids, and greatgrand kids, and she got to hear about the Indoor Flying at Lincoln City. When I told her I was "Fire" in a show called "Elements", her roomate spoke up, "Who fired you?" :sign_kitelife: I explained indoor kiteflying to her. Hard to say if she believed me.

Grandma spent most her life in OR, so she liked to hear about it. I was tired and needed to clean up after the trip and go to work. The next morning I popped in to tell her I would spend the night after work.

She passed away in her sleep later that morning. It's been hard to say or write, and we didn't have the funeral till yesterday. I gave a eulogy and passed out her favorite flower to her kids and family. Honeysuckle. Very aprapro. (sp) If someone spoke of grandma and said she was a joy, I knew they didn't know her. She was a little crouchety. The gardner said that you have to pinch the honeysuckle, and keep pinching it if you want it to grow. :P So family members and Millie, one of her caregivers, have something to take their aggressions out on and remember Grandma. I'll miss her. Sorry, this place is kind of like my blog. (While John's away, Penny will play :P )

I better go figure out how to get that darn reverse back. I hope we get some video of Arlington in comparision to the show. Ouch! 1/2 inch... #893@ Better go work on it. BB Penny

• 2 weeks later...

I've got today and tomorrow to pack for an indoor fly at the Kids Expo on Saturday and leave from there to Buggy in Seaside. the weather and the tides are suppose to cooperate. It's the 20' x 30 stage on Saturday that has me worried. I've got to go looking for short, short line. It will be fun. have a great weekend! :)

BB

Penny

• 2 months later...
Oh and by the way, Rick Brown likes to keep his feet firmly on the ground :P

:) There is so much I could say about this... :)

but I'll be good :shifty:

LG

AN INDOOR CODY id like to see that as for the rev indoor thank you penny that was the info i was looking for im going to buy one soon

• 2 months later...

Wow, we haven't been in here since July.

Now it's September and time to get back indoors.. Woo Hooo! I'm excited.

So today I packed up my cd player, camcorder, New Cat in the Hat costume, An Indoor Revolution, a 1.5 Revolution, and a single line UFO and my purse. That's a lot of stuff to pack into the gym, but I managed it in one trip.

I took video of of my new music with the 1.5 and then the Indoor Rev. to try and figure out which one might work best.

Darn, that Indoor sure is lighter and easier, but it just doesn't move as quick as that 1.5 Rev. I'll probably go witht he 1.5 which will leave me with more room for error. When an MC says she fly's light kites inside, I want to hollor, "It is not!" It's usually the 1.5 which takes more ~ I'm not sure of the right word. Control? Lift? Effort? Strength? Compared to the Indoor. We make it fly effortlessly, but it's NOT a light kite!

:gathering: lol

I spent some time at mom's looking at the video and figuring out a way to make my cat in the hat head stable. It's a little wobbly. :)

This routine is turning out cute. The UFO in no wind will be a fun part of this routine. There is nothing about this routine that would be legal in competition, unless I squeezed in innovatiove or free style. Not sure it would fit there either. Nope, probably a touch to long. Oh well, I'm going to have a lot of fun with it in show.

Ralph is looking at making me handles that swivel so I can try single handle with movement in the handles. It would make flying two Rev's inside at once easier. We'll see what he comes up with and if I can get to it.

It was so gooood to be indoors again and I flew to a couple of old routines and just some songs for pleasure.

I love winter kite flying. :)

BB

Penny

Sorry Anthony, I started to reply and got side tracked.

You know, your going to make me have to look at my indoor. I'm wondering if the bundgee didn't fly off, or did it ever have bundgee on the top? I've pieced the replacements as I go... gosh... it flies. ;)

No matter how you put the outdoor caps on it, I doubt if you regret it.

BB

Penny

I put short sliding knots on the top of the handles and left one a little longer then the other. It seemed easier to turn and I had some reverse back. Still not enough reverse for my liking.

The part I will need to practice on this year is up on tip. that's the leading edge facing 3 or 9:00 and going up in that position.

Trying to figure out what it takes, may take a bloodymary and a rev shaped dollar bill. It's not how much up that I give the bottom handles. Oh, and the bottom handles facing 9:00 would be the left handle on the one handed handle. It appears how much pressure I give it. My turns are pressure points too. If you think you’re confused, imagine how confused I am!!!!~ ;) Well, practice, practice, practice.... that's what makes this kite so fun.

BB

Penny

Sorry Anthony, I started to reply and got side tracked.

You know, your going to make me have to look at my indoor. I'm wondering if the bundgee didn't fly off, or did it ever have bundgee on the top? I've pieced the replacements as I go... gosh... it flies. ;)

No matter how you put the outdoor caps on it, I doubt if you regret it.

BB

Penny

no worries penny i used new bungee line off of a junk spare parts exp sail that i have.the bungees that came with my indoor got all chewed up from those weak end caps i havent flown the kite yet but it doesnt feel any heavier then before the exp bungee line is just a little thicker then the origanal so that should make for more durabilty thanks again

mine did not in fact those are the only endcaps i kept on because i dont have a problem with them the top ones dont hit the ground like the bottom and side ones do but my top caps are held on by thr top bridles no bungees only bungees on my kite are side and bottom yours is an older model so it might be diffrent mabie not

You can hardly ruin an Indoor Rev. Even if they get old, they still fly. Broken spar~ replace it, and the indoor kite has no mesh leading edge to have to sew on so they are wonderfully durable.

As long as you stay off of sharp objects, away from electrical wires, stay away from wind and out of the water they will last many many years and be a great flying kite. I like saying that... stay out of the wind and the kite will fly great. ;) They may even stay pretty since their indoors.

I’m excited~we're going to be flying in Ann Arbors, Michigan October 6th in no-wind and possible no wind spots. Outdoors surrounded by buildings. I'm excited to see what that brings as well as seeing Lam and Scott again and some of the other activities we get to be a part of.

BB

Penny

it is cool watching lam when he comes here to the east as for my indoor i dont get many indoor spots to fly now that the school year has started so its out doors for me the kite does work wonders when the winds are still i still cant get over the fact then with no movement of breeze at all i can still fly this kite it is worth the money and i love it its a little sloiwer then most of my revs but still a godsend for no wind days

I know what you mean. I love indoor flying. They had a competition at Whidbey Island. John B won. Congrats John. Who took 2nd and 3rd? I'd guess Egan and Bud, but I way to tired to remember if it was Egan now. Good job!

Steve and John and I night flew on Sat. The boys flew Rev's and I flew the UFO. Steve flew my UFO with lights on it. It was the first time I was able to see it fly with lights on it. It looked awesome. I'm not even exaggerating. It was super fun. Wait till you see it. John came on the field and said something about he thought he might have trouble finding me in the dark, but I glowed. (lets talk lights later on the forum)

Theresa, that sail is all stretched out, but that's as it should be with a well used kite. It still flies, even with 4-5 lights on it. I have to clean up the bundgees though. Ewwww that's not kiteflying, that's work. ;)

I'll keep them going though. Thanks for the advice.

I'm hoping to find out a won a UFO from the raffle. Yup, I am a UFO hog. (lets use the word fanatic)

Good night everybody. I enjoyed Whidby and all the wonderful fun people we played with. Thank you everyone.

BB

Penny

Kewl~~ I hope it's the teal/blue/pink one. I could use that right now for Michigan. I'm going to be a wood nymph.. flying with the ribbon dancers.. My music is a finnish poem about a world wanderer who would like to find a place to settle down. We are not using longer then 15 feet of line. :kid_cussing: That's still short line. :censored:

Thanks for letting me know John. They said someone had picked them up to give to me. I figured it was Bob Wendt. Linda and I are playing phone tag, so now I'm not sure if she has them or someone else. I've got a few emails out there. Kewl... Kewl..... BB Penny

• 2 weeks later...

We're in Ann Arbors Michigan tonight. I'm posting in the indoor because Aerial Experience, Lee and Debbie Parker, pulled indoor kitefliers together for this event. We're outside on a patch of grass with trees and buildings all around. The wind is everybit as challenging as we thought it might be. We're still doing excellent and what a show we will put on tomorrow.

Lee said the important thing for this show is to keep the kites in the air. He didn't say anthing about us. I found a hole and came down on my bottom. I kept the kite in the air and just sat and flew it standing up at the end. they thought I did it on purpose. lol Reminds me of my son, "Mom, I never lost the kite."

Tomorrow should be awesome. We've got Lam H. Andy Becker, Scott Weider is coming in tonight. A wonderful rytham gymnastic group. Paul DeBaker, team Wind Jammers, and of course the Parks. I get to play with a UFO. Ever see 5 fliers in a 40 x 40 grass patch? Yeah! challenging, but so much fun.

What a neat group of people. They've kept me laughing all day. Now I need to find a t-shirt that says North of Canada. Oh, the ribbon gymnist... I see kites in their future. It could happen. They have the grace and the balance and their young ladies. I"m always trying to get more females in this sport. Ever notice the majority of kitefliers are men? That and indoor gymnist flying kites inside would be unique entertainment. A few of the girls seem interested, so I am hoping.

Oh, We saw Ann Ritter today! John Trenapahl (sp) and Aaron and Troy Thanks Troy! (He's my crew) Bill and I'm not sure of another's name, but it was nice meeting and regreeting everyone today. Lam is tired and I think he gets the giggles when he's tired and they might be contagious.

Hope eveyone at Convention is having a good time. I'll have to catch up on the daily's later.

Well, off to bed.. We'll need all of our strength tomorrow. Wish us luck! 10,000 kites to give away. :dual:

BB

Penny without spell check and itty bitty font I can't see. :blink:

You know I was in an elevator and a man said,"I read your stuff"... kinda funny, kind of scarry because I didn't know who he was. It's amazing what people tell you that. Some one you don't know from the audience.

This has become sort of a blog spot for me.I keep writing in here, but you are welcome to write in here too. Don't be shy. :dual:

Now I want to talk a little about Ann Arbors, Michigan but this isn't really the place. They did bring in indoor flyers because of the wind spot... and there was no wind during some of the shows.. I have got to go do some chores though.. .so I'll wait. :blink:

Do you think I should post it under events?

I have pictures. Guess I better contact the Parks to make sure I play within the rules.

BB Penny

penny a video would be great too ive seen some of you past videos along with the parks it did help me learn some indoor skills and they are fun to watch hope your haveing fun there then beaches are closef here so im in buggy mode