KiteLife Forum

NC Quad Clinic (Sep 10-11, 2016)

John Barresi

3 minutes ago, ACrop said:

I asked lolly specifically about the green trimmed race vs the older black label only race frame. She seems to be saying that they have tested the newest green trimmed race rod batch and are promising lower flex like the older ones pre-green trim. We will see, right?

Yep, here's hoping. :)

1 minute ago, Wayne Dowler said:

So you got GT black race rods - correct?

Sure sounds like it Wayne, maybe we're in for better days. :)

2 minutes ago, ACrop said:

I got green trimmed label, black poles- the ones we were comparing on flex. I will compare against older non-green race rods when I get a chance. Not that I will be flying them for a while- not until my inverted hover is predictable and I can do a good downward turning 8. So much to learn so little wind.

They're not made of glass... :)

If the wind is light-ish, try them - black race is awesome.

Rubbing is racing anyway, gotta try to know.

Sorry, realized my earlier thought was incomplete - Insignia is adhesive... That being said, I still sew mine down because I want to arrest all STRETCH along that line (a far worse issue than actual wear).

Also, alignment is really important... You'll want to be sure that when assembled, the bunji knots at the top of the vertical spars are both on the logo side of the spar (toward the middle of the kite, not the wingtips) to get correct alignment.

Are you doing one row of straight stitch on each side and end of the vertical wear strip? Stitch length the same as factory stitch length?

I am just nervous about tension of stitches, usually I run a test swatch to see if the tension is good, but I don't have any kite scraps to test on.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using KiteLife mobile app

Indeed, *unless* they have actually resolved the flex (and breakage) issues - fingers crossed, for all of us.

I knew that there would be doubts, just thought I would post up what I was told. I will be sure to close the info loop after I meet up with an experienced flyer with the older "good rods".

Sent from my Nexus 5X using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 2

Aye, roughly the same spacing (I read 7-8 stitches per inch is the max), straight line... I sew continuously, the entire perimeter of each wear strip (same with the tabs). 

The tension is really tricky with the Insignia tape, you'll definitely want to run some tests - someone here may even have a bag of scraps they'd be willing to send, make a separate post about it. ;)

2 minutes ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Be nice if they have finally solved that problem - BUT!! Unless they have found another supplier of raw materials - ??? 

Talking to Ben - they never got his supplier from him and started using their own? Have they solved this??? Time will tell!

Wayne, knowledgeable as we may be from a flier standpoint, neither of us can claim insight into why the green trim problems happened... Material sourcing, baking process, resins, quality of carbon, we can only guess - in this, they do know more.

• Like 1

JB, the line you were using at the NC clinic was SkyBond Premium Spectra Quad line, correct?

I am a little confused about the discussion about the racing frames.  I understand that the old rod which was entirely black is no longer available.  The choices that revkites.com offer are a black (with a green stripe) and a green rod.  What is the difference between those two and which one is believed to be better?

Let us see if I can explain:

There are Black Race rods and Green Race rods. All the newest generations of rods (all that I know of) have the Green trimmed labels. So all rods ( race or wrap) come with this green trimmed label.

For explanation purposes, here's the closest I have on what the rods equal:

Black race rods are about the weight of 2 wrap rods, but as strong as 3 wrap. Still made. Many use them in place of 2 wraps.

Green race rods weigh about the same as 3 wrap, but are as strong as 4 wrap. Still made. Some use them to replace 3 or 4 wraps.

So remember there are 2 different race rods out there - black and green, both have the green trimmed label on them.

Hope that clears up any confusion!

• Like 1

Alice, you are so lucky

Dave Ashworth conducts all of our kite club's building workshops, Mike Mosman won the Grand National building title and lately has been their head judge at the nat'l convention.  We use his business as the builder workshop location and he lives in your home town!

Dave's our club president and he hasn't been seen flying a purchased kite out of his own bag in 20 years!  His indoor kites are legendary across the country.  Unique resources and funky discontinued parts are probably only available from Harold Ames another of our many recognized kite builders.

We can loan you a beater kite, don't waste your funds

Your green labelled Race rods survived both of us spanking it Sunday afternoon.  Relax they're as good as any of the old ones or we would have uncovered it then.  A little too tight on one of the ferules but fixed-up on the field.