KiteLife Forum

The first few hours

Toyguy

Greetings everyone. Brand new flyer here, thanks to one of those department store impulse purchases :kid_cussing:

While out shopping with my wife, I ended up buying a cheapo, $15 dual-line kite on a whim. Well, it got me well and truly hooked! It flies pretty horribly, is heavy as can be and is quite small to boot so it requires a pretty stiff wind to keep it airborne. I flew it, poorly, for a few hours and have to admit, the plastic it's made of takes a lot of abuse!

After 3-4 hours of flying, I went and ordered a Prism Hypnotist, which just arrived this past Monday. Today was its maiden flight, and it was "interesting" to say the least. I think I have some unlearning to do :D

Finding clean air here in Vermont is near impossible, but it was really all over today, and so was the kite. I did figure out that it stalls and lands VERY nicely though. Not much success in actual flying yet, though I got in a few passes on occasions when the wind was steadier. The Hypnotist is very twitchy and sensitive, which I think will be a good thing in the end, but it was giving me fits today. Part of it was me overcontrolling the kite, based on how the cheap one handled. I'll have to get used to that. I figure if I can learn to fly it in these wind conditions, I'll look like a genius if I ever make it to a seashore.

Anyhow, the kite and I got home safe and sound, no broken pieces. Now to hope for some steadier winds over the next few days off from work!

Also, I think it's time to shop for kite number 2 ;) Maybe something more aimed at flying than tricking... We'll see!

Dave

Join the dark side Dave, go for a Revolution.

Think carefully before you buy the next one. Try to get to some fields where others are flying, we are generaly a friendly bunch. Talk, ask, try B4 you buy.

I have an old Prism Fanatic I "won" in a auction on here. Good fun.

I assure you of one thing, once you have caught it there is NO CURE.

Yup, no matter what you fly, 2 miles of clean ocean wind is much nicer then 8-10 mph dirty wind and it will make a better kiteflier out of you. Oh, and a Rev... Not lots of tricks, but Grand control with easy basics and years of challenging fun. Now you need to introduce your wife to the kites. :kid_cussing: BB Penny

Greetings everyone. Brand new flyer here, thanks to one of those department store impulse purchases ;)

While out shopping with my wife, I ended up buying a cheapo, $15 dual-line kite on a whim. Well, it got me well and truly hooked! It flies pretty horribly, is heavy as can be and is quite small to boot so it requires a pretty stiff wind to keep it airborne. I flew it, poorly, for a few hours and have to admit, the plastic it's made of takes a lot of abuse!

After 3-4 hours of flying, I went and ordered a Prism Hypnotist, which just arrived this past Monday. Today was its maiden flight, and it was "interesting" to say the least. I think I have some unlearning to do :D

Finding clean air here in Vermont is near impossible, but it was really all over today, and so was the kite. I did figure out that it stalls and lands VERY nicely though. Not much success in actual flying yet, though I got in a few passes on occasions when the wind was steadier. The Hypnotist is very twitchy and sensitive, which I think will be a good thing in the end, but it was giving me fits today. Part of it was me overcontrolling the kite, based on how the cheap one handled. I'll have to get used to that. I figure if I can learn to fly it in these wind conditions, I'll look like a genius if I ever make it to a seashore.

Anyhow, the kite and I got home safe and sound, no broken pieces. Now to hope for some steadier winds over the next few days off from work!

Also, I think it's time to shop for kite number 2 :) Maybe something more aimed at flying than tricking... We'll see!

Dave

here is another reason why i love rev kites so much ... the color patterns are unbeatable .. many thanks to ben and lolly as i got here my new vented american kite..its no special custom but man i love the look of it and had to have it

post-812-1183682321_thumb.jpg

The new graphics are looking great in the sky. Nice Anthony.. nice. ;)

BB Penny

here is another reason why i love rev kites so much ... the color patterns are unbeatable .. many thanks to ben and lolly as i got here my new vented american kite..its no special custom but man i love the look of it and had to have it

post-812-1183682321_thumb.jpg

Disclaimer: I prefer REVs any day even on Sunday, over Dualies... but since you have the Hyp you might as well get some use out of it. Read the instructions, it shows how to adjust the bridle to make it less sensitive. That is the same kite as the Mirage, I use to own one back in the days before I became a quad freak. ;)