KiteLife Forum

Kite wants to turn left??

DannyB

Newbie quad flyer here - but I'm getting the hang of the very basic ideas. What are the most likely causes for a kite consistently wanting to spin left? I mean like right as it launches I need to start trimming it - consistently correcting for the leftward spin.

I will admit I'm not terribly confident that my left and right lines are the same length. But any other culprits to suspect?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, DannyB said:

Newbie quad flyer here - but I'm getting the hang of the very basic ideas. What are the most likely causes for a kite consistently wanting to spin left? I mean like right as it launches I need to start trimming it - consistently correcting for the leftward spin.

I will admit I'm not terribly confident that my left and right lines are the same length. But any other culprits to suspect?

Thanks!

check your lines & make sure the bridle isn't snagged around itself

Aside from the line and bridle measurements, or a bridle snag as mentioned....

Are you right handed? Sometimes it’s as “simple” as the hands not being “equalized” on the handle(s)...(or even your arms). Pick up your handles and pretend to fly your kite while scrutinizing each hands grip....adjust accordingly...

A “doh” moment for sure as well...;)...are there adjustment knots on the handle’s tow lines.....make sure the lines attach to the same knot on each handle. Yep...done that before......lol.

Otherwise you may have some funky wind....kewl.

bt

To quickly narrow options, Swap left and right hand lines/handles at the kite end and fly to see if the issue is the lines or the kite. if the problem switches side it's your lines and handles. if the stays on the same side it's something with the Kite or Bridles.

On 7/4/2024 at 8:59 AM, riffclown said:

To quickly narrow options, Swap left and right hand lines/handles at the kite end and fly to see if the issue is the lines or the kite. if the problem switches side it's your lines and handles. if the stays on the same side it's something with the Kite or Bridles.

So simple, yet so smart. I inadvertently did this by going out again Wednesday night. Consistent spin in the other direction. Paid more attention to line length, and they differed (left to right) by about 3 inches. Sure enough ... 

On 7/5/2024 at 9:42 AM, DannyB said:

So simple, yet so smart. I inadvertently did this by going out again Wednesday night. Consistent spin in the other direction. Paid more attention to line length, and they differed (left to right) by about 3 inches. Sure enough ... 

My pre-made 120' line set had one line that was out by almost that much. My first thought was "I can do better than that", so I've been making my own ever since. 🤷