KiteLife Forum

Gday Frankieflyin here.....

Frankieflyin

Feeling pretty good about myself after my first school demonstration of REV with just a breath of morning (very low lying) urban breeze.

Teachers loved it! The kids loved it. I'm showing the kindergarten classes how to make a simple kite from paper which they can decorate however they choose.

fold in half long ways and staple down corners. In you tube video they mention distances but personally found not to be accurate according to wind strength being flown. Kite ancor point varies according to wind strength in order to achieve best results. Stay tuned my fello followers. I have a backlog of videos that need doing. Im getting put in my place by the great work (flying and editing) Brett Marchel has been doing of recent. Keep it up bro.

Stay tuned............. :kid_smartass:

• Like 3

As much as you are enjoying yourself, I almost hate to write anymore.

add "an inch of down" (minimum!) to your tuning set-up, that is wild beast just waiting to be broken and ridden hard. The kite surges forward suddenly, you add input and regain control. You want it more neutral, so it only goes forward if you ALLOW it to. Go back to inverted hover practice, de-tune some more forward out of the handles, think slow and reverse, s-l-o-w-e-r. Racing to the top of the wind window in forward flight is not what the revolution experience is all about, control. Land it into the hole of an empty soda can, balanced on top of the fence post, that's the rev way to fly, that's the video I want to view!

• Like 1

Thanks for your input Paul. I'll try keeping that in mind. I learnt to fly alone. So it is possible that I have picked up bad habits. I need to be able to feel the kite. So I may tend to be brake heavy if that makes sense. I like having some pull on sail so it makes it easier to feel my way around kite and sky. I learnt to fly by feel. I need to be able to feel wind strength. Gives me more feel of wind at given location, hence flying looks better.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again everyone[emoji5]

Sent from my GT-S7275T using Tapatalk

But yes too much feel can work against you especially in stronger winds. Then I think it becomes too twitchy. So yes tuning is a big thing to remember.

When flying at grandstand. Winds started off light. Half way thru fly it increased. I didn't tune kite again because I know that wind was dirty at urban park. So I like to have something up my sleeve for when winds slow down. So I don't need to re-tune. Just keep flying.

If I was going to constantly tune according to wind I'll never get any flying done.

That's how bad urban conditions are like this time of year.

If you notice at beginning of video I pull off a 360. Seconds later flags are stiff. From one extreme to the other!

But yes too much feel can work against you especially in stronger winds. Then I think it becomes too twitchy. So yes tuning is a big thing to remember.

When flying at grandstand. Winds started off light. Half way thru fly it increased. I didn't tune kite again because I know that wind was dirty at urban park. So I like to have something up my sleeve for when winds slow down. So I don't need to re-tune. Just keep flying.

If I was going to constantly tune according to wind I'll never get any flying done.

That's how bad urban conditions are like this time of year.

If you notice at beginning of video I pull off a 360. Seconds later flags are stiff. From one extreme to the other!

You can still have a brake heavy tune for urban conditions. I use the same setting for flying at shopping centre car parks as I do on an open field. It's less about having drive tuned in and more about loading the sail.

Flying round buildings gives very dirty wind but I find a "bit of down" helps to moderate the gusts and allow to compress the frame when it lulls.

Keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As much as you are enjoying yourself, I almost hate to write anymore.

add "an inch of down" (minimum!) to your tuning set-up, that is wild beast just waiting to be broken and ridden hard. The kite surges forward suddenly, you add input and regain control. You want it more neutral, so it only goes forward if you ALLOW it to. Go back to inverted hover practice, de-tune some more forward out of the handles, think slow and reverse, s-l-o-w-e-r. Racing to the top of the wind window in forward flight is not what the revolution experience is all about, control. Land it into the hole of an empty soda can, balanced on top of the fence post, that's the rev way to fly, that's the video I want to view!

When you say add an inch of down.

What do you mean?

Longer or shorter bottom lines.

I think it means longer bottom but that will take me away from slouched position.

So I think you are saying to be more slouched, which means longer top. Am I correct or do I have no idea?????[emoji31]

I need to stop with this stop start style and focus on being smooth and controlled.

Its just that over here in Sydney people aren't looking to see shapes drawn in the sky.

But if you swoop down from nowhere and stop inches from ground and hover for a minute or so seems to pull the crowds more than drawing circles, diamonds, squares etc.

But I do respect where you are coming from.

We have no competitive flying here in AUSTRALIA.

To be honest I don't think there is anyone in Sydney who flies a rev regularly. My mate Mike (who i have flown with before) prefers to fly his dual line stunt (trick) kite. That is where its at for him. For me its a rev. I struggle with trick (stunt) kiting (dual line). My brain needs time to process, (Bit slow)......... :kid_cussing:

you want to fill the kite sail with air pressure, so you drag it into a wind tunnel and measure different effects. What happens if you angled one wing away from you and pulled one towards yourself slightly? Well air pressure bleeds off one side more and the kite starts to change directions.

There are only four methods of control

~ move the handles together, so tops are now pointed at your nose (forward)

~ move the handle tops to now point at the kite (Reverse)

~ point one thumb only at the kite and it rotates, either clockwise or counter-clockwise

The kite must back-up inverted or you need to adjust the tuning.

The kite has the most pressure when it is square to the wind (not angled forward because you want to go forward)

If you feel the kite needs tuning always adjust the DOWN first, see if you are filling the sail with pressure.

Little tiny differences between the knots (for tuning) is a huge advantage, you might not want a two inch correction, maybe an quarter of an inch dials it in properly.

checking for even line lengths is like a front end alignment on your car. Without a neutral, your ride will pull wildly into the wall as you speed down the racetrack.

when everything is right, you will be able to perfectly balance the flying handles on a single finger of each hand and maintain a stationary hover. where this balancing point is located is a deeply personal preference developed over time. You can change where that balance point is for comfort during the day too!

Fill the sail with pressure and find your neutral (balance point), the kite will slow down dramatically and your control will shoot upwards

• Like 1