KiteLife Forum

NC Quad Clinic (Sep 10-11, 2016)

John Barresi

It was good to meet everyone this weekend.  And it was good to see you again, John.  Thank you for letting me just come and hong out for a while.  I hope you all have (had) a safe trip home and I hope to see you again on a flying field somewhere, anywhere.

Fair Winds All

Karen

• Like 4

Deepest regards and thanks to everyone who came out for an amazing weekend - y'all really made it, always your energy that makes it shine.

For me, it could be described as having the pleasure of being the most enthusiastic firefly - takes a lot of glow from a whole group to make the best light. :clap;

Hope to see all of you again, sooner than later... There is some talk of adding a spring clinic (Mar-Apr), not sure what format, quite possibly a team clinic (fundamental skill requirements required to participate) - stay tuned anyway, and I'm open to hearing all suggestions!

• Like 1

@Mike Klaiber

So, how did it go? Did you learn anything? Would you have shown up just to watch JB fly? How was the wind? Was the sand clean? The water wet? Sky blue?

Did I learn anything? Holy s#*$, I can't process it all yet. Amazing mentor and teacher. Timeless patience and fun to be around. Yes, the man can fly with incredible skill. Beach, although a hike, was deep white sand for thousands of feet, HUGE does not do it justice. I will go back to fly and take wife to see the amazing part of NC we have not seen before. Winds for days that stuck the kite in the air like I have never experienced! Full vent on Sunday! Skies and water were amazing. Check out the clinic post for some pics. If ever, do it! Talk of spring clinic at same location. I will do it again and again. Lots of kite people and fun too!

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app
  • Like 1

Sorry April but wife was sick and had to bail. No contact number. [emoji23] maybe next time.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

No problem...very light wind that morning at least until the storm blew in. Had to work to keep the kite in the air. Next time friend.
April

Sent from my Nexus 5X using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 3

Did I learn anything? Yes, hovers are now stronger - Left, up, and right are getting good, and downwards hovers are stronger but still a work in progress.  I have 1/2 a flick flack, and better control all around.  I use the wind window better and fly with better speed control.  Not to imply that I am always in control, when I get tired the kite can still take over.  I learned that team flying is great fun and have since told my spouse that I am interested in him flying with me... we will see how that goes.  May need to shop for a used beater sail for him so I can let him fly without wincing every time he crashes.  He seems to have more crashes to his initial learning curve than I had. 

After I got home and flew again I learned something else - the team follow maneuver that I was struggling with was not a problem just because I was tired at the end of the weekend.  I realized that while I do figure 8s all the time I had only been doing upward turning 8s and the team was trying a downward turning 8 to follow.  I think that the crossing lines for the first time and being tired defiantly did not make it easier, but I think that I needed practice on the down-turning 8 in general.  I never had thought about the direction of the 8 until I tried to recreate the maneuver at home and realized that it was a different direction of 8 than what I had been doing.

I also loved sleeping deep with no children around.  Spring clinic, maybe, just maybe.

Cheers all, thanks for a good time.

• Like 2

Hey, Can I get a reminder/clarification on the sail reinforcements that were recommended?  I just got a vented sail, guess that will count for Christmas.  I want to reinforce both sails before I fly much more, and my sewing machine is ready and willing.  :) Here is what I remember of the reinforcements recommended:

- reinforce the leading edge mesh with grosgrain ribbon and a straight stitch with thread that I don't remember what it was.

-add a second line of stitching to the trailing edge - straight stitch

-add reinforcement to the sail where the vertical rod touches - but that I don't remember what that was - was it a stick on or a stitch on?  I seem to remember a comment on keeping the needle clean of the adhesive? 

Guess I should stitch up a kite bag while I am at it....having the extra frame in with the sail is getting to be a pain.  Should tell you that my husband was not impressed by the idea that all of your huge kite collections make my two sails look reasonable and normal.  If anything he may have taken it as a big warning sign.  Hard to blame him, I won't be adding up the cost any time soon. 

• Like 1

You know that we were talking about the race rods and stiffness at the clinic?  Well when I ordered my sail (straight from revolution after talking to several brick and mortar kite shops on both coasts) I asked Lolly about the rods and asked about not getting green race rods.  She said that the flex issues are resolved.  I just looked at my invoice and found a handwritten note from her on it saying:

"We tested this newer batch of race rods.  The flex (stiffness) on this frame is good and correct.  Promise. Thank you Lolly"

So it will be interesting to compare my race rods to others rods when I get on the field with folks.  Thanks for the info Lolly!

1 hour ago, ACrop said:

- reinforce the leading edge mesh with grosgrain ribbon and a straight stitch with thread that I don't remember what it was.

I use Guterman's thread, pretty sure it's Polyester - same stuff Bazzer uses.

Location of the tabs is important, should be able to recreate from photos. ;)

1 hour ago, ACrop said:

-add a second line of stitching to the trailing edge - straight stitch

Aye, between the existing stitch and the actual edge - side by side, not overlapped.

1 hour ago, ACrop said:

add reinforcement to the sail where the vertical rod touches - but that I don't remember what that was - was it a stick on or a stitch on?  I seem to remember a comment on keeping the needle clean of the adhesive? 

The material is 1" Insignia tape... I run the thread through a tiny sponge with a drop of sewing machine oil in it when I do the wear strips, as well as cleaning the needle with Goo-Be-Gone when it shows accumulation.

There seems to be a bit of a mix up in terminology here:

There is a difference between green race rods and any rods marked by the green trim on the silver label. Green trimmed labels can be on ANY rod type! 2 wrap, 3 wrap, black race, diamond all have them. They identify the latest generation of Rev rods, and been out a little over a year or so. Green Race rods are different than any "wrap" rod, have more the flex of black race rods, but not quite the same reflex (back to straight). I use mine in my X/V, where absolute precision isn't as important as everything surviving intact! I have the "GT" labels on my diamond rods! All my others are "vintage (before GT). All the older green race are as strong as anything Rev has put out except some specialty rods made for stacks (that I know of). But the newer GT rods have shown weight differences and breakage issues not the same as the "old" rods! YMMV

30 minutes ago, ACrop said:

You know that we were talking about the race rods and stiffness at the clinic?  Well when I ordered my sail (straight from revolution after talking to several brick and mortar kite shops on both coasts) I asked Lolly about the rods and asked about not getting green race rods.  She said that the flex issues are resolved.  I just looked at my invoice and found a handwritten note from her on it saying:

"We tested this newer batch of race rods.  The flex (stiffness) on this frame is good and correct.  Promise. Thank you Lolly"

Sigh... I'm not confident asking Rev anything about their rods because frankly, they haven't shown product knowledge in relation to a flier's needs in quite a while - maybe they've resolved this behavior, but I don't know.

You will find, if you look...

• Black Race rods (original, no green TRIM around the label)
  • Black Race rods (new, green band on either side of the label)
  • Green Race rods (the whole rod is green)

Which did you get?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John Barresi said:

add reinforcement to the sail where the vertical rod touches

Sorry, realized my earlier thought was incomplete - Insignia is adhesive... That being said, I still sew mine down because I want to arrest all STRETCH along that line (a far worse issue than actual wear).

Also, alignment is really important... You'll want to be sure that when assembled, the bunji knots at the top of the vertical spars are both on the logo side of the spar (toward the middle of the kite, not the wingtips) to get correct alignment.

• Like 1

I knew that the post was going to cause comments[emoji16]

I got green trimmed label, black poles- the ones we were comparing on flex. I will compare against older non-green race rods when I get a chance. Not that I will be flying them for a while- not until my inverted hover is predictable and I can do a good downward turning 8. So much to learn so little wind.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1