KiteLife Forum

Indoor Flying Practice

Penny Lingenfelter

Day one at Windless Indoor Kite Festival and there are some novice kitefliers working those kites! From a young man, Eli who looks to be about 8yrs old. Christian, 15 yrs, Matt who looks to be in his late 20's to that old man Scott Slater.. who's well, older then I am. ;) or not . lol In any case, it was great watching the people out on the floor working it, trying to focus on keeping a kite balanced on strings, with no wind... and other flyers all around. I saw no crashes.

Scott Davis and the Museum put on a lovely Italian potluck where the food was scrumptious, but more importantnly-it was held in the Long Beach Museum. I wanted to linger and do the whole tour, but it was a long day, so to avoid Steve's "Toss Penny" over my shoulder and go exit, I headed for the door. Not before catching some glimpes of old signal kites, Sam Cody history, Japanese and posters boards filled with pictures of past events and workshops. Wow, as a kiter I feel such a part of the history of the museum.. and I so had nothing to do with it (except a few small donations), but it is our heritage. I want to go back.

Ok, It's late... We're closing down. A few went to fly till 9:30. I figure it will be crowded and they will have fun. We'll do it all again tomorrow, only better. BB Penny

It did get better. Woo Hoo~ I took First- that 's 1st Place in Hot Tricks. lol I did not see that one coming.

My heart was racing so fast before the first hot tricks competition, that I was almost worn out before I started.

For anyone that doesn't know, hot tricks is a competition that puts kite flyer against kiteflier in elimination rounds generally voted on by audience's.

Any thing goes.. and some of the things I've seen probably shouldn't be written about. lol.

After the first round against Paul DeBaker, I was so exhausted, I thought "I'm ready to concede". But I took first and that moved me into the next round with a little rest between flies.

Lam Hoac took 1st place in his round whick meant I would have to fly against Lam. Once again, I was ready to concede. lol

Luckily I had that rest, and by the end of the 2nd round, I was ready for one more try.. but it was over.

Now I've taken 2nds and 3rds in hot tricks indoor and out, but this was the first time I've ever took 1st place in Hot Tricks! Woo Hoooo!

Someone said, Penny, it was the blindfolded flying that took you over the top. (I heard it was a close vote)

Bud said it was the jump roping the kite that did it for me. Personally, I think it was laying down and flying my Indoor Revolution for about 4 passes.. I was impressed! I usually only get several passes with it. lol

Scott Slater discovered a new move and helped me to find out how to make it happen. Two stringers may already do this. (Scott's not an indoor flier either)

With the Rev laying back down, leading edge away from you so you are reading "Revolution across. I can pop this kite up on short lines.. I can take longer lines and slide my kite across the floor from behind me and jump over it and pop it up to fly it.. What I couldn't do is pop it up and fly it on those long lines without pulling and jumping it behind me. What was different? It was getting a little puff of air under the Rev. I was trying to pull it forward for a puff launch, but it didn't alway work.

Scott pointed out if I pulled back to slide it to me lightly just to get that tiny puff of air under it, I could then pop it up. It works, even on longer lines! If you all aren't doing that already.. we'll call it the "Puff".

So much fun at this festival! Scott Davis and the Long Beach Mueseum are excited. Scott is putting together a DVD for various places to promote indoor kite flying, what it takes to put on an event, what you get out of the event. How the windless festival has evolved.

Scott interviewed participants and maybe audiences. Great idea and follow through. It's about time and with Bryan Davis and other's video from the weekend it should be awesome.

We did put on the Cat N Hat skit. Lam was Thing 1 and Paul was Thing 2. Yup, great sports. Yes, they put on the red shirt & blue wig causing havoc with the audience with their 2 string kites. Of course I didn't get to see what they did, but people said it was great and I heard laughing and clapping. I hope someone took some video of it.

Valerie flew a rainbow ribbon for it, Jennifer Brown was a Cindy Lou Who and helped the kids with their butterflies while flying a diamond. Christian Slater was my grinch.. I love to get him in my routines. Bud Hays was Sam I am. Still the best one still.

Allen Cunningham.. yeaaah~ he flew a bird, or two as Max the dog~ I can picture it in my head, and I know it was great. Brenda and Maxine two young ladies from the audience flew butterflies and I'm sure they were glad of Jen's help if the tails got crossed.

Fun, fun fun! Wow, I've got to go.. I wish I could write more.. We met Kelly and Matt, Theresa, Bella, Emma, Caty and Ben, and more who will all take this kiting experience home with them and share it with others. I told them not to be surprised if their friends didn't believe them.. They can't fly kites in no wind!

I'm exhausted.. Thank you everybody.. especially the organizers and wooker bees.. They did a wonderful job..

Wow.... Windless Kite Festival.and the Kite Museum all in the same weekend. Life is good...

Penny~who's still stoked because she finally took 1st in Hot Tricks..

PS~ I've seen Lam Hoac fly for years and the intensitiy which he competed with to create the world class flyer that he is was remarkable. With his credentials, Lam knows he can fly and when he doesn't compete with that same intensity, he is being kind to others. That's my humble opinion..

Tks. ~BB Penny

I"m sorry, this so has nothing to do with kites.. But it colors my world. ;)

My weekend was awesome.. kids and kites.. grandkids and kites.

I found out my son is wanting to have a family, so things have changed in his life. Woo hoo, I'm going to be a grandmother again~ someday. lol

Then we found out my daughter and her family our getting orders to stay here for 4 more years!!! Woo hoo!!! It's was so hard to know they would be leaving in 6 months. I'm very blessed to have them staying here.

Now, do I rethink my van for seats for the grandkids? Naaaa~ Maybe not. My daughter will just have to learn to drive a cargo van. I'm looking forward to having a kite toy box, changing room, hotel... My cheap RV. :D

I hope you all get such good news.

BB Penny~ wondering what she'll do with all that space on the side of the van.. Advertise kites maybe?

I should pick up my van tomorrow. Woo Hoo. It's a kite toy box. Silver E150 2007 new. There is lots of room for kite life. It's got cruise control. This is a big thing in a cargo van and hard to find. It's got a cage locked door from the front to back~nice. I should be able to secure my kites in here with the right precautions and sleep at night.

Now, I'll be so glad when tomorrow is done and I have it. ~ The most van for the best price. They are putting a step on the driver and passenger door, but not the slider.

lol :)I can just picture myself in 10 years waiting for passerby's to help push me up into the van.

BB Penny ~who'll be ready to fly when ever she wants.

I've been sick for a couple of days. It never fails, if I get overloaded. Which I try not to do, I get sick.

It is just a cold, fever kind of thing. After a few days of sleeping, it gave me the opportunity of working on my music.

I have got 2 new routines edited -seamless... Yeah!!! In addition, I fixed the 8 seconds of blank time on the cat n hat! Yeah..

The "USA Tribute 2008" sung by our future leaders... kids.. and Mermaids yes, Mermaids.. I really love this routine. I picture Lady Mermaids flying kites on the field.. to Kid Rock singing "One two, one two buckle my show... swish...swish... swish... swish... Who's that lady with the fishy tail? ITS A MERMAID! It is oh, so cute..

The song shifts to "Mermaids" from Playing For Change.. I've not seen the movie, but the song is dedicated to my Grandma and everybody over 50 years old. It's slow and melancholy and sings of not letting go of our childhood. It's a beautiful song.

The kids will come in during this song, I plan to have little mermaid costumes ready for the kids in the future. They will fly butterfly's, fish.. jellyfish would be kewl. We should have a jellyfish making class. :D

I have a few other ideas up my sleeves to add to the routine.

The next song is "Under the Sea" Reggae style. The kids can bounce and fly and paint a panorama picture of kids, colors and kites and lots of smiles. :)

Then we will lead the kids off the field for a group picture to the "It's A Mermaid" song again. I'll try to have a few pirate costumes for a few kids that might not want to be a mermaid but want to be in it. :)

That will be my second routine this year. So we won't see it early, as I have to make the costumes. Yuk.. I'm thinking wrap around or elastic waist, with a split off mermaid tail w/ a loop to hold or put on wrist-Dropping it optional. After many years of licensed day care, I've learned to make things Penny Proof.. aka kid proof.

I have got the kids kites on their way. This routine will be for indoor and outdoor.

The USA Tribute should be ready by March, or April. I have kites coming, and about a dozen red/white/blue hats, streamers, etc. This routine gives the kids the chance to fly and march around on a field, feel a part of the festival and a part of America. It makes your heart swell with pride for our country. This is another indoor and outdoor routine.

Arlington, OR may give me the opportunity to use this routine. The indoor is like next weekend. We will go show our support for the Mayor. ;)

I find if someone is mad at me, it's usually because something else in their life has upset them. The same with politics.. If their screaming and upset over something insignificant, something's not going their way. Oops.. lets not talk religion, sex or politics.. kites~it’s all about kites.

There is a rumor of a new kite festival in Merceds, CA. Keep your fingers crossed... I've not been there... yet. I was going to have to miss the Kids Expo, but they changed the dates and they accommodate me.

Keep us kitefliers in mind for festivals.. Special City events. too.

We're talking tako kichi, Kite Crazy….we'll fly anywhere. :)

BB Penny ~looking for mermaids.

Thank you John/Kitelife and Rachael and Family for the video. One video is the cat/hat routine on short-short lines.. good for a crowd of kids around you. One video is the mystery ballet at Arlington last year. No tricks, just fun flying.

For Penny Lingenfelter Indoor Flying Kite Flying video go to <www.myspace.com/penny_lingenfelter>

Look under my videos. John probably has these on kitelife somewhere too.

I'd like to add the kite fairy, and the last mystery ballet at Camas in the future.

We'll see. Rachel does a great job video taping. I like the view from high up, too.

I'd like to see some video from below so you can see my view. Rachel, have you ever video taped from a laying down position?

BB Penny

Thank you John/Kitelife and Rachael and Family for the video. One video is the cat/hat routine on short-short lines.. good for a crowd of kids around you. One video is the mystery ballet at Arlington last year. No tricks, just fun flying.

For Penny Lingenfelter Indoor Flying Kite Flying video go to <www.myspace.com/penny_lingenfelter>

I'd like to add the kite fairy, and the last mystery ballet at Camas in the future.

We'll see. Rachael does a great job videotaping. I like the view from high up, too.

I'd like to see some video from below so you can see my view. Rachael, have you ever video taped from a laying down position?

BB Penny

I have kite fairy on tape from Long Beach. Will bring DVD to Arlington.

Glenn

Hey Glenn,

Did I see this video? Where is it posted at?

BB Penny ~who did have fever and might have dreamed she saw it. ;)

We'll see. Rachael does a great job videotaping. I like the view from high up, too.

I'd like to see some video from below so you can see my view. Rachael, have you ever video taped from a laying down position?

BB Penny

Glenn

Tks Glenn,

Never mind I found it. ;) I couldn't get it on my mp3 player and I did the other one..

For some reason the voice over in the beginning of the song didn't come through. Not on the video, but on the sound system. I think the volume must not have been turned up, since the voice over a few seconds later works.

So the video starts.... Have you ever seen a Kite Fairy?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6592665475602400591

Hey Glenn,

Did I see this video? Where is it posted at?

BB Penny ~who did have fever and might have dreamed she saw it. :D

BB Penny

Glenn

Fixed the name in the last few post.

Here is the last video Glenn put on. How can I thank that family?

Slower Rev flying. Penny's Mystery Ballet

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6465609089383270023

You might have to cut and paste it to get there.

Thanks again Glenn!

BB Penny

Yesterday I took my new gps and my new van filled with kite toys and headed over to the indoor fun fly in Edgewater. Dick Curran (The man who looks like Rip Van Winkle) ;) was there flying large single line kites. Toby was there working the wren pretty good. I'm not sure how much time he's had on it, but he had great control and was flippin that kite around.

Jerry Cannon, from 2 time winning World Cup Team, Cutting Edge, was there sharing tips with Toby and the guys. Scott Davis, and Mary and Don Ostey were there to share their support and fly a little. Scotty's healing.

Georgean Curran was busy spinning some yarn on a portable spinner. I know I'll get it wrong if I try to discribe it, but it was the Snow White spindle twirling away.. She enjoyed watching the patchwork Genki she had made to fly outside floating around the ceiling inside. We all did.

Dick had made a silver mylar single line kite by Don Ostey.. the Platz Glider which he flew wonderfully, with trailing silver tails, but Dick admitted Don Ostey's kite was more stable. I forgot to pick up Don's kite, but I believe Dick. Here is a link to video of him flying one of the kites.

Toby picked up the indoor Rev. and he was flying 360's, and reverse up launches and turns after just a few minutes. I told him, every time you go back to it it gets easier. I didn't say it was simple. Where would the challenge be? Toby is a teenager who we will see going to the dark side in the future. :)

The fun fly was an opportunity to do some visiting, share a kite and practice a little. I was working on a move, the Agitator, and it really wasn't quite enough room to practice it w/people and kites around. I'd like to get at least 4 spins out of it and I run out of room.. or body streatch..arms behind me(?) or something... which is why I was practicing it.

The Indoor move, the Agitator, is when you spin that Revolution kite in full 360's spins or pivots.. right.. left.. right -left... at the same time that you spin your body in 360's right left right left..

B) By the end of the 3rd or 4th move I'm "EEEEKing.." ~ little scream that escapes my lips when I know that if I pull those lines back just a little bit more... or try to turn that foot/ankle a 1/4 of a move more... I'm going to~ fall on my butt! Still it's so much better then letting a cuss word slip out. Now, I've got to go work on that move with some space.

BB

Penny ~ who did get lost with confidence with her gps. :)

Fixed the name in the last few post.

Here is the last video Glenn put on. How can I thank that family?

You might have to cut and paste it to get there.

Thanks again Glenn!

BB Penny

• 2 weeks later...

My husband finally rode and drove my new van. He told me, "Honey, I'll be riding in it enough, there's no hurry." Hey, He liked it. It was a comfortable 5-hour drive to the Arlington, OR "Up the River" 4th Annual Indoor Kite Festival.

It’s already the 4th year and the kids return each year a head taller then the last. Tiffany has been off to college, but she came in to town on Sunday to say hello and give the Rev. a pull. We flyers love to come to this small town. We almost feel a part of it. We look forward to seeing Judy, Carmen, our favorite infamous mayor, the women from the chamber, and especially the kids in town.

The kitefliers are all about serious kites, the kids are too. Some like to jump in and be in the skit, but they are all waiting to have another turn flying the Revolution, and Jerry Cannon's dual line. Thank you so much Jerry for the kid’s lessons!

What can those kids do on the Revolution Indoor Kite? I am going to tell you. It makes me smile and tear up just thinking about it. Can you do this on your indoor Rev?

Forward up... Forward Overhead... Reverse it back to land it. That's a complete Reverse overhead.

Reverse up.. turn it and fly it out.

360-- How's that?... "Agressive"... :) The kids said.. "mean" They have to manhandle the kite to do a full 360. They have no problem doing this.

Left and right turns with the bottom wing going up.

Pull turns with the top wings.

Stopping a forward overhead behind them.

Some could throw it. Brody must be about 10 years old and he was good at it. 40 (know, won't say) something yr. old Maria showed me a new toss!

Of course, the first thing Maria told me was that she couldn't fly this kite, she wasn't coordinated. lol That woman flew the pants off this kite. She was tossing the Rev up and launching it from the toss repeatedly!! I'm going to have to go to the gym and try her version.

These people have no idea how much they impressed me. :)

Lorain's little boy was just getting over a bug, so he didn't feel like flying, but he said he would come back next year and fly the Rev. I'll bet he does.

Abby was another one who said she wasn't coordinated. I know that feeling. I can't throw or catch a ball, but I can fly a kite, and so could Abby! She did excellent for her second try in a year.

Arlington is usually the place where I try my new routine. We tried my new USA Tribute It needs more r/w/b. I'll work on that. I have a few pictures up on my space. Steve and I are not very good photographers. www.myspace.com/penny_lingenfelter I've added the Arlington album and the windless Indoor Long Beach album. All the pictures came from Rachela and Glenn Day. Thank you again! If it seems like it's a lot of pictures of me.. well, there are.. lol that's what the Days gave me. They did a wonderful job catching some jump roping rev on stills.

In Arlington, Stephanie is a senior now and the official photographer. She and her posse were there. They all gave the kite a go and got a kick out of it. Troy, Josh, Melody, Deseri, and others. They all did so well. This town needs a kite club.

Rick and Kelly from Columbian River Kites.. I think.. I know I'm going to have it wrong.. ;( , Colleen, and Kirsti were worker bees, cooking, making feathers, admissions, etc. So much work they all do.

Our llama Angel, Kirsti Hays, showed her support for the Mayor of Arlington. When they called her to the judging box, she walked our with a black bra over her T-shirt. Way to go Kirtsti. I wasn’t that brave. I gave the Mayor a card showing my support.

Did the flyers have fun? Absolutely! They had two competions!! Amy Doran AKA Charlie Chaplin, swept the field taking first place in every competition, even Mystery Ballet. As Charlie, she had the crowd in stitches.

I took second with a wrapped wing after a guillotine.. Bud Hayes took 3rd place.

I did not write down the placing of the competitions. You can check out the scores. <http://www.nwskl.org/>

Dick Curran added a lot of fun and color to the event. lol.. Yup, he still looks funny. It was almost a shock to see him in regular clothes. I've known him for close to 20 years, and it's hard to remember when he wore plain clothes.

His kites flew like dreams and the circus music he chose was fitting.

Kyle was in town and flew a hot tricks shoot out against Toby. What a great idea that was as their part of the mystery ballet. It showed the town a shoot out and gave the flyers a mystery ballet.

All of the flyers showed great improvement from last year.. now don't get me wrong.. I don't mean they were bad last year, some were new, some were darn good, but the kewl thing about this sport is that it's still new and innovative. and the flyers will continue to create and improve.. that's why we love this sport.. You know.my syndrome…. next year I'll get good. :P

Jennifer Brown, Toby.. Dave... Connor... Dick, Jerry, Amy, Bud, Allen... all awesome flyers and next year.. they'll all be better.. I’m going to go practice.

BB Penny ~ who is so excited- Lincoln City Indoor Kite Festival is next month!

Kite Fairy Demo. It's missing the voice over.. I think the sound must have been down... so it starts::::

Have you ever seen a kite fairy?

Lincoln City, OR Indoor Kite Festival:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=786986055037678677

I received this email from Deb and Lee Parks via Maggie Conrad:

Here's what we have in mind for this year's indoor kite show.

Entitled: "Bellissimo"

Theme: A Classical Masquerade Ball

Dress: Dressy Clothing, Venetian Masks, Jesters and such Music: Classical, Ballroom, Waltz, Tango and whimsical interludes

How kewl is that? Now I'm really excited. See you there. BB Penny

Kite Fairy Demo. It's missing the voice over.. I think the sound must have been down... so it starts::::

I am working on a move that perhaps one of you have mastered already.

I can do it with a single handle, but not with two handles without over or underctrolling the Rev. I've seen the dual lines do it. Once in a while I can get a clean 360, but most of the time I'm struggling.

I want to do a 360 on spot or with one step without changing my body direction. If you know the secret to this move, please let me know. If you don't, I'll tell you what it takes once I master it.. and I will master it. :) eventually.

I saw Lam do a move with his sea devil indoors too. It was a layout, flip over sideways recovery.. Anyone doing that with a Rev yet? hmmmmm.. I see we flyiers have our work cut out for us.

BB Penny~ who is sending Jerry Cannon prayers.

I've been working on that move. Seems the faster I go, the more trouble I have. I've discovered if I plant my feet and don't move them I have better success. A 360.. actually a 180 and then recover to do the other half of the 180 for a 360. It's going to look much easier then it is when I get it down. BB Penny ~working on making the moves look easy.

I've been working on that move. Seems the faster I go, the more trouble I have. I've discovered if I plant my feet and don't move them I have better success. A 360.. actually a 180 and then recover to do the other half of the 180 for a 360. It's going to look much easier then it is when I get it down. BB Penny ~working on making the moves look easy.

I went back and after a toss and normal 360, I planted my feet and flew a 360 on spot. Woo hoo.. flew a little bit more and tried it again.. not so good. By the end of my fly time an hour later I was to tired to make it work. One of the main problems, beside not knowing the right combinations of moves is that I am an indoor kite flyer. What does that mean? It means I have to move my body or hands all the time to create lift. All the time!!! I end up like a person who's hand is on the glass aquarium with a rattlesnake inside. It's impossible not to move your hand when the snake strikes at it.. same thing.. only I find it almsot impossible to stand still! I move and it throws the kite off. I try to recover the kite on the last 1/2 of the 180 and it comes down. It's hurting my brain trying to get this move. I need a bloody mary... that's a handy kite learning tool. :)

My friends helped me to think it out a little, but not enough to solve the mystery or get the move lodged in my head for good. Karen said she'll come record me soon and studying the video should help.

Picture your Rev kite on tip...leading edge facing 9:00 located on the R. side of the window.. An easy 360... just fly it to the left side of the window... keep the momentum going and without turning your body, put your handles right where they were in the beginning to recover the 360 as it comes around. This should not be that hard! I feel the need to step away to keep the lines tight, but the cleanest 360's on spot are when I don't move my body.. Now how did I do that?! Oh well, practice will tell.

On another note; Santa Cruz 2nd Annual Kite Festival is a go for June 7th. I added it to the Kitelife calendar, but not a lot of info yet. I know someone out there is excited about the invite. :) the fantastic aspect of this festival is that a Children's Hospice is putting it on. How sad, and how marvelous that we can fly for such a good cause. We don't know if they can do the logistics yet, but if they can, I'd like to do a walk through of the hospital.. We did this in the children's wings in Michigan. We couldn't always tell if the kids were girls or boys, but personally, I left the rooms with the thought and prayer that every child we saw would live. Not so in a hospice. Heart wrenching ... If we can add a smile to their day, it would be wonderful.

If anyone out there has the time to help make this happen, please let me know. Tracy is looking into on her end. It's just such a distance from the airport and event.

Darrin and Sue Skinner might be my drivers again.. I hope so... though they might be a bad influence on me. lol I think I can blame my new GPS system and my new van on them. :D They took me RV shopping on the way back to the airport. Wonder what they are planning this year. Hmm.. Well, I'll keep working on this silly move that's kicking my butt. It better look easy when I'm done. lol Nobody will care, but I'll know... Have a great day~

BB Penny~ wondering if a bloody mary will help.

Once again thank you to the Day family for this video.

This is the final round of hot tricks at Long Beach, WA's Windless Kite Festival.

Lam and I fighting it out for first place. I won~ Thanks Lam

The toughest move I think I actually did was the agitator.. it's the spin left, right left, ran out of room, it's a little sloppy, but going into Lam's space is ok in the N.W.

Here's the link to the hot tricks video. BB Penny ~ who sure enjoyed the weekend.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1009485866837776506

• 2 weeks later...

I won't get to practice for a few days.

The 360 on spot is still coming along. Slowly but surely. You can learn some moves in 3 days and some in 3 years and I've neVer been a natural at this.

So, I'm still working on that move. Picture a car steering wheel laying down flat. I think this circle is the move I need to make with my arm motion in front of me, though it will probably end up more on my left side to create the most lift. I'm not an engineer.. I'm just a kiteflier.

Is this how the move is done?

Laying my handles down, like the kite is on tip facing 9:00 ..Right hand over left, keep both handles perpendicular and move them like you are going around the steering wheel circle..

OK, so a counterclockwise circle with my handles in front of me should take that Rev. facing 9:00 from my right side to left side and behind me back towards my right side. With Out moving my feet. Since I don't have this down, it's the last quarter of the circle that is the toughest. Sort of like the last 1/4 of the Reverse Circle was the toughest part of the reverse circle.

If you can fly a move once, you CAN learn to fly it. When you don't know how, or have the practice, it's harder and heavier. Once you have learned the move it fly's effortlessly. Don't forget though, when you learn a new move you should learn to fly it in high wind, low wind and no wind. It's not the same.

Meanwhile, in my flying endeavors~ I've developed a nice 180 or a 360 inverted slide ending in a rock and roll. walk and roll? Yeah, Walk and roll. The Rev is facing 6:00, starts in front of me and slides right, behind me and to the left, and then I just 180 the kite a few times tip to tip so it rolls and flys out of there.

So, an upside down Rev facing 6:00 slides in a circle behind me and then faces 12:00. 6:00 then 12:00 tip to tip. It looks like this. lol ----MWM Oh, I've got to much work to do. lol Have any ideas for moves to try, or questions.. you can message me. Have a great Revolution Day.. I have to get in here again to answer emails...but theres work to do. BB Penny ~headed back to reality.

I went back and after a toss and normal 360, I planted my feet and flew a 360 on spot. Woo hoo.. flew a little bit more and tried it again.. not so good. By the end of my fly time an hour later I was to tired to make it work. One of the main problems, beside not knowing the right combinations of moves is that I am an indoor kite flyer. What does that mean? It means I have to move my body or hands all the time to create lift. All the time!!! I end up like a person who's hand is on the glass aquarium with a rattlesnake inside. It's impossible not to move your hand when the snake strikes at it.. same thing.. only I find it almsot impossible to stand still! I move and it throws the kite off. I try to recover the kite on the last 1/2 of the 180 and it comes down. It's hurting my brain trying to get this move. I need a bloody mary... that's a handy kite learning tool. :)

My friends helped me to think it out a little, but not enough to solve the mystery or get the move lodged in my head for good. Karen said she'll come record me soon and studying the video should help.

Picture your Rev kite on tip...leading edge facing 9:00 located on the R. side of the window.. An easy 360... just fly it to the left side of the window... keep the momentum going and without turning your body, put your handles right where they were in the beginning to recover the 360 as it comes around. This should not be that hard! I feel the need to step away to keep the lines tight, but the cleanest 360's on spot are when I don't move my body.. Now how did I do that?! Oh well, practice will tell.

On another note; Santa Cruz 2nd Annual Kite Festival is a go for June 7th. I added it to the Kitelife calendar, but not a lot of info yet. I know someone out there is excited about the invite. :) the fantastic aspect of this festival is that a Children's Hospice is putting it on. How sad, and how marvelous that we can fly for such a good cause. We don't know if they can do the logistics yet, but if they can, I'd like to do a walk through of the hospital.. We did this in the children's wings in Michigan. We couldn't always tell if the kids were girls or boys, but personally, I left the rooms with the thought and prayer that every child we saw would live. Not so in a hospice. Heart wrenching ... If we can add a smile to their day, it would be wonderful.

If anyone out there has the time to help make this happen, please let me know. Tracy is looking into on her end. It's just such a distance from the airport and event.

Darrin and Sue Skinner might be my drivers again.. I hope so... though they might be a bad influence on me. lol I think I can blame my new GPS system and my new van on them. :o They took me RV shopping on the way back to the airport. Wonder what they are planning this year. Hmm.. Well, I'll keep working on this silly move that's kicking my butt. It better look easy when I'm done. lol Nobody will care, but I'll know... Have a great day~

BB Penny~ wondering if a bloody mary will help.

The name of the Indoor Kite show is the same, but it is the life of the Gypsy instead.. I believe it's like Renaissance Italian Gypsy's.. not a calypso type. The Parks provide costumes, but we have to have a spare incase something doesn't work. I looked on the net, and then went shopping. I'm done with that part of it. I wore my long black hair, w/ colored scarf, Red scarf and black skirt to the gym last night. I felt the gypsy. Now.. if my feet would only feel a part of it.

I had to fly in the racquetball court.. which is ok... but I'm really feeling the need for larger practice space right now. Oh, did I mention we have a gypsy tavern scene where we all fly.. Then I fly as the 'Tipsy Gypsy' then a group fly. Wish I knew what the music was saying.. I'm pretty sure the word that sounds like "Banana" means B.S. , Baloney.. a bunch of phahooey.

That 360 on spot move is still kicking my butt. I was wrong on how I thought I should do it, or maybe just doing to large of a move? hmm.. I'll have to go find out if size does matter. Well, of course it does. I have the kite hat pin that says so.

Oh.. off topic.. We had a 50th birthday for Karen.. She was in on all of the plans except for the Elvis Impersonator I hired to surprise her at the restaurant in front of 20 friends. Our 1/2 of the restaurant really enjoyed the show. The look on Karen's face was priceless. Now back to fly time~ BB Penny

Finally! I didn’t want to say anything till I had it back in my possession. How do I say Thank you enough?

Here is a picture of my beautiful, mesmerizing Revolution No Wind Indoor Kite. Red/White and Blue Flag.

As my flying has improved, so has Jerry Fincher’s spray painting. Look what a fantastic job he did!

He can be found at Fincher’s Aire Force Kite Sales and Repair. 360-692-0149.

Wow!! I even had people running across the weight room as I left to tell me how beautiful it all was.

Thank you so much Lolly, Ben and everyone at Revolution Kites. It is my favorite Rev. so far.

I’m going to be contacting people for Armed Forces, Flag Day, Fourth of July, and more. I need to re-contact the lady in charge of entertainment on the carriers.. I’m about ready for the Sonics ½ time demo.  I’ve contacted the Family Mentor contact. So much to do and so little time!!! Rev on!

Oh, I thought I should share with you how to fly while you’re standing in place with your Rev.

If you find yourself in a line, or just need to be still. If you fly it up to 12:00 and while it’s facing 9:00 push it down a little on tip towards the ground, then swing it back to 12:00 facing 3:00. Dip, swing, dip swing.. Down-up, down-up.. You’re treading water in the air!! Lol

Have a great fly weekend. Come out and fly Rev’s. If you are having troubles, please contact us.

BB Penny~Who’s trying to get ready for Lincoln City Indoor show and has nothing yet.