KiteLife Forum

NC Quad Clinic (Sep 10-11, 2016)

John Barresi

Thanks for the offer.

I drink just about anything other than beer. Can't stand the stuff. I wish I did like it....it seems like most any event I go to has plenty. I can handle diet, caffeine free or good old sugar. I'm not wild about Dr. Pepper though, it reminds me too much of the cherry flavored cough syrup mom gave me as a little kid.

• Like 1

Just a reminder and a note to the newcomer, we have a kite shop in town if you need anything for the clinic.  Kites, lines, stakes, handles, kites, etc.  Single, dual, quad.  And repairs.  Not that you'll need any repairs, but I just thought I'd throw that in.  

• Like 2

On May 22, 2016 at 9:38 PM, John Barresi said:

For anyone who needs equipment or parts while in town, you can get pretty much anything you need from the Dixon family and Kites Unlimited & BirdStuff, etc., just a few minutes away from the field.

Indeed, the Dixons have over 30 years in the biz. :)

13 hours ago, Steve Jenkins said:

i have been thinking about going to that clinic, but I have no experience. I just bought my first Rev 1.5 SLE and it arrived Monday. I have been watching the weather there very closely, trying to decide. It's probably a 10 hour drive for me so I'm considering it, but cautiously. Thanks for the up close and personal update..

I am a beginner too if that helps.  I know that driving 10 hours is no small commitment - but if you want to come out you will not be the only true newbie there.  I plan on sucking all I can out of the two days flying at the clinic.  Headed out right now to use what local wind I can...thanks to the hurricane it is a perfect flying day here- quite a rare thing.

• Like 1

PLEASE don't worry about being a beginner! Will you be a quad flying master after one weekend? No, but you WILL be a better flyer. You'll pick up things that you don't know you've picked up until later when something clicks and you go, "Oh, THAT'S what he was talking about! NOW I get it!" and then you'll progress by leaps and bounds. Just be a sponge, soak up all the great experience and knowledge, try to not get frustrated with yourself and most importantly, have FUN!

Really want to go, grumblegrumblegrumble...

• Like 2

Went flying today. The kid's three slk would not stay up for more than 4 minutes each....it was killing me. Finally got to play and was feeling like the kite was in control. Let my husband have a turn and while watching him was painful it did show me that I am getting better. [emoji3]

Having trouble with hovers turning into dives and the tips flapping around when I should be flying in reverse. But all their trouble comes with a silly smile. Saw my frame curving a bit in the gusts today...did a lot of walking forward to take off pressure. Today was the first time I have ever had to focus on backing up to where I started when the wind was calmer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

You are correct - it is an "experience" thing! Most times I'm ready to put up a vented faster than most - recovered from a stroke - and avoid a faceplant. But there are times I will fly what I've got up, right to the point of too much. You'll find that Rev rods (at least the older ones) are surprisingly strong and will flex more than we feel comfortable with! 

I fly in a team most times and we usually agree on a common setup, right down to sail and frames. Only thing left to personal choice is knots at the handle! 

• Like 2

I was just thinking, if anyone is going that doesn't have a vented rev 1.5, I have a 1.5sle and a handful of 1.5b vented revs.

Won't get them in time, not a problem, I can have them delivered to the front desk of your hotel/motel. They will be there waiting for you to arrive.

• Like 1

Because I truly believe in brick-and-mortar kite shops rather than shopping online, I'm posting this for your information.

The map isn't totally correct.  Kites Unlimited and Bird Stuff, Etc. is next door to Monkey Bar.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kites+Unlimited+%26+Bird+Stuff/@34.701603,-76.7572879,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89a892368639cef5:0x7d197f0aee4566a!8m2!3d34.701603!4d-76.7550992

• Like 1

Well, my idea was to make it easy for anyone to get a kite at the spur of the moment, I guess it's ok to go to the brick and mortar shop between 10am and 5pm on Saturday during lessons, or between 10am and 3pm on Sunday during lessons, or even on Friday before they close at 5pm.

I would truly believe in brick and mortar kite shops if I knew of one 100mi, 200mi, even 300mi from me.

Many a time Don and Jeri have kept the shop open for a while or have opened early if they know someone is coming to get an item.  All it takes is a phone call.  And for that matter, if there are people in the shop, they stay open until they are done shopping.  That'a the beauty of a family-owned  and run kite shop.  

• Like 4

On 9/2/2016 at 11:59 PM, Lynn Pugh said:

I am also bringing my husband to haul the stuff in.

This just may be my favorite post so far since I joined.. I was enjoying my Diet Dr Pepper when reading it.. Hint and warning for others, personal experience, you shouldn't breathe soda under normal circumstances.. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, riffclown said:

This just may be my favorite post so far since I joined.. I was enjoying my Diet Dr Pepper when read it.. Hint and warning for others, personal experience, you shouldn't breathe soda under normal circumstances.. 

Thanks, Rob!  Hope to fly with you soon in Hampton Roads.  When I do I'll bring Bill to haul the ice chest too!

• Like 1