KiteLife Forum

Hawaiian Team Kite

new2revs

Well come to find out it looks like I was just putting it together wrong. I thought the connectors were spaced evenly on the spreaders, but they weren't. So when I put the spreaders in the other way it put enough tension on the standoff that I don't think they'll fall out. Haven't had a chance to test it yet.

• 3 months later...

I would love to get some measurements from someone who owns a Hawaiin Team kite, Got an old one here, a little worse for wear and it is missing parts that need to be replaced.

To put it back together again, I need the measurements for the top and lower spreaders and the length of the whiskers please.

i know that top of the line is no longer in buisness but im a desperatly looking to buy a Hawaiian Team Kite. back in my teenage first kiting days i worked part time at a local kite shop. they used to sell these but at the time i didnt have the funds to purchase one. i had the chance to learn to fly kites mostly with a Hawaiian. i Loved That Kite. iv just recently gotten back into flying kites and this was the first kite i looked for to purchase. i have looked everywhere for this kite new or used with no luck. does anyone on here know someone that has one for sale new or used or someone that would sell me there used Hawaiian? im willing to pay top $$$ for it. please help me find this kite!

Thanks Dan

hey buddy look at the addiction comments to get the phone number for harbor kites in ventura california talk to buzz the owner he has several kites in storage never used i personaly own and still fly a spin off bought in 1986 used to hang a california rasin wind sock from the lower spreaders by folding its hands over and pinning them looked like the rasin was hang guilding was way cool still got the rasin but hes retired due to much stress good luck

I would love to get some measurements from someone who owns a Hawaiin Team kite, Got an old one here, a little worse for wear and it is missing parts that need to be replaced.

To put it back together again, I need the measurements for the top and lower spreaders and the length of the whiskers please.

Hi, Janola.

Just took measurements from my Hawaiian Team kite.

Top spreader is 23". Cut mine in half and installed an internal ferule.

Much easier to pack away in the bag.

Lower spreader is 32 1/2".

What other parts do you need? The tubing can be bought at most hardware stores.

Arrow nocks and inserts can be found at an archery or sporting goods store.

The whiskers in mine are made of .261 hollow fiberglass tubing 16" long.

Most others are done in solid fiberglass rod.

Don't have that measurement.

Imagine a 5 stack of these.

med_gallery_3337_132_18332.jpg

This kite was used in a two stack. The front kite is a smaller version called Avenger with a six foot wingspan.

Haven't seen many of these.

Pulled a ton.

This Hawaiian was made to fly in high winds. It has a 404 f.g. spine and .370 spars.

At one time, I replaced original frame with .298 spine and .278 spars.

Would fly in 1 mph wind and did it very well.

This is the Avenger kite. It tucks in nicely in front of the Hawaiian.

Picture021.jpg?t=1227640153

• Like 1

My TOTL Hawaiian was purchased in the late 70's or early 80's, Whisker kite came much later, as a separate kit. I used to fly it on the Oregon coast every weekend. I was at a festival once and the wind really picked up. Everyone was breaking parts on thier kites. I put up the Hawaiian and soon had a line of people waiting to fly.

g8.JPG

I got some PM stating the picture was not seen so here is a link

Host I was using would only display the pics if I brought up the page they were on, everyday, first.

I have moved to my own domain, should work now without problems (hopeful)

Let me know if problem persists.

Problem solved, thanks Mike. Excellent pics.

Looking foreward to seeing photos of that Avenger stack.

I love old school. :w00t:

If anyone is angling for a new Hawaiian Team Kite, I seem to recall that Cutting Edge Kites has obtained the license to make them, and has a few in stock, along with full parts availability. :)

http://www.cuttingedgekites.com

(proud sponsor of Kitelife too!)

I know that the original thread is quite old. I was looking on IKE earlier and there was a link to Chicago Kite I was looking at thier offering and came across this

The New and Improved Hawaiian Team Kite Two Week Delivery

[ Chicago kite is happy to bring back The Hawaiian Team Kite is the big stunter that started the sport of team formation flying. These big wings are powerful kites that have been the standard for percision and power and are one of the best looking kites in the sky. Durable and strong. 66/36" case included.

Skill level: Intermediate Sail material: Ripstop nylon Spar material:Sky shark Wind range:4-30 ]

If anyone is angling for a new Hawaiian Team Kite, I seem to recall that Cutting Edge Kites has obtained the license to make them, and has a few in stock, along with full parts availability. :)

http://www.cuttingedgekites.com

(proud sponsor of Kitelife too!)

I know that the original thread is quite old. I was looking on IKE earlier and there was a link to Chicago Kite I was looking at thier offering and came across this

The New and Improved Hawaiian Team Kite Two Week Delivery

[ Chicago kite is happy to bring back The Hawaiian Team Kite is the big stunter that started the sport of team formation flying. These big wings are powerful kites that have been the standard for percision and power and are one of the best looking kites in the sky. Durable and strong. 66/36" case included.

Skill level: Intermediate Sail material: Ripstop nylon Spar material:Sky shark Wind range:4-30 ]

The price is kinda high.

Don't think I'll buy any.

• 1 year later...
i know that top of the line is no longer in buisness but im a desperatly looking to buy a Hawaiian Team Kite. back in my teenage first kiting days i worked part time at a local kite shop. they used to sell these but at the time i didnt have the funds to purchase one. i had the chance to learn to fly kites mostly with a Hawaiian. i Loved That Kite. iv just recently gotten back into flying kites and this was the first kite i looked for to purchase. i have looked everywhere for this kite new or used with no luck. does anyone on here know someone that has one for sale new or used or someone that would sell me there used Hawaiian? im willing to pay top $$$ for it. please help me find this kite!

Thanks Dan

Are you still looking for this kite? Is this what you are looking for?

post-3143-1189760754_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

Dan, I have one available. Hot pink, black, with green and blue. Beautiful thing in the air. This one flew only 3 times. No damage, just a bit of sand. Did you ever find one?

If you still have this I may be interested. I am also looking for Spinoffs.

• 1 year later...

Swap meet find 3 dollars... thought I'd share :-)

I'm new to this forum... or rather "foruming" in general...

Do I need to use whiskers? Should I?

Also I'm hearing different opinions on line length... I WAS going to purchase 200# 150' but now I'm hesitant... any advice??

I'm a medium skill about 20 hours on a prism nexus bought for 30 dollars >=] another proud find...

Suggestions?

Are tails good?

What kind of line and handle setup would you advise?

Bridle length? Average beach wind 12-17

How much weight and wind can this thing handle?

Sorry so many questions... I'm eager to learn! :-)

Thanks everyone!

Get in touch with one of the kite shops who sponsor Kitelife. I'm sure any one of them will be able to describe what to do, and send you the parts. The TOTL kite will pull similar to the Prism 1.9 Snapshot, but should be more fun to fly. Foils are kind of boring unless you're using them for jumping or power kiting sports.

• Like 1

The foils are good fun. If you can fly on the beach, they're more fun. I like that they don't have any hardware so I can give it to a complete newb and not worry about it while they get the hang of the controls, but they do have a limited appeal because of the lack of tricking. Smaller is better for little kids or people. Larger are better for board sports. How many $$$ you want to spend is the real issue.

Swap meet find 3 dollars... thought I'd share :-) I'm new to this forum... or rather "foruming" in general... Do I need to use whiskers? Should I? Also I'm hearing different opinions on line length... I WAS going to purchase 200# 150' but now I'm hesitant... any advice?? I'm a medium skill about 20 hours on a prism nexus bought for 30 dollars >=] another proud find... Suggestions? Are tails good? What kind of line and handle setup would you advise? Bridle length? Average beach wind 12-17 How much weight and wind can this thing handle? Sorry so many questions... I'm eager to learn! :-) Thanks everyone!

You probably will want wiskers/stand-offs. The Hawaiian Team Kite flies better with them, and it certainly launches easier.

I used to fly mine on 200' 300# Kevlar™ lines, but that was probably overkill. I really liked the hard-pulling kites, so I tended to have heavy line-sets. (I actually still have them, but I bet they aren't 300# any more; bare Kevlar is subject to UV degradation over time.)

For some reason, no one ever told me that it was possible to fly with lines shorter than 200 feet until Lee Sedgwick happened to mention the idea that 200' was taking up a LOT of room on the flying field. I made my first set of 35 foot lines on the beach. I still like long lines when I have the room and plenty of wind to lift them.

One good thing about longer lines especially when learning: it gives you more time to maneuver - the "window" is bigger. (Set-up, and any "walks of shame" will be a lot longer, though.)

• Like 1