KiteLife Forum

Single standoff.

SparkieRob

Is there an advantage in having a single standoff on each wing as opposed to having two? I know that a sail on an angle presents less sail to the wind but can increase overall physical sail area. Most of the dual kites I've seen have 2 but there are a couple of top end models with just one, Benson Superfly and the Fury by Kite Related Design. Thanks.

This is a complicated topic. In general the standoff should present the kite with a general launch aid and improve sail tension in low winds. This is the original idea behind them. A good designed kite doesn't needs a standoff at all to fly properly, the standoff just makes it easier in extreme situations.

Now we have trick kites and things get complicated. Since in trick flying the kite has situations where it flies on its back, sideways and so one. The standoffs got a new function. To generate a 3d shape of the kite that will allow for the kite to be controlled during such movements. How many standoffs and where they are placed depend on what the kite is supposed to do better and the shape of the kite, trailing edge conture etc. the trick is to find a configuration that allows the kite to fly normal as well as been stable in shape during the tricks you want the kite to be able to fly.

Let me give you an example, lately there is a trend that has 2 standoffs per side, where the inner standoff is made form much more flexible fiberglass while the outer standoff is much more stiff carbon. Why is that so? Because on its back the inner standoff gets compressed while the outer stiffer standoff gives the structural support to hold the sail in the desired shape to provide stability on the back. The sail of the kite changes shape depending on the orientation in flight and tricks..

A wider keel area is more stable in tricks like a fade then a narrower keel area. The flexible standoff configuration helps with that.

A direct advantages of a single vs multiple standoffs is tht a single standoff is lighter. The rest depends entirely on the kite design and your goals with it.

• Like 5

I'm right there with you, Nick. I don't ask why some of my kites have one, two, or three standoffs. I know how they fly & feel in my hands. That's all I care about, the actual physics of it I leave my to my friend, the aerospace engineer. I recently got him into kiting, and am really excited to hear his technical insights to the kites that I fly. We got out together on the beach for the first time last week, and he was floored when I got out my SUL kites and flew in 1-2mph wind. I think he's hooked !

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As I understand dual line kites a little more, I also believe that the shape that is formed by the sail, lower spreaders and standoff(s) can also affect the wind range performance. A standoff closer to the spine performs better in lighter wind.

Another "heavy" question.

Is a kite with a single standoff per wing geared to a more specific wind range?