KiteLife Forum

Indoor Flying Practice

Penny Lingenfelter

• 1 month later...

That would be them Spencer.

I'm going to look at a Son's of Norway conference room for Veterans Day. The coordinator had seen me fly the red/white/blue on 5 ft of lines at the Lincoln City Indoor Kite Festival and asked me to see if I can work around a 15 ft. ceiling w/ two chandeliersI could w/out hesitation on an indoor without even seeing the place, but my red/white/blue kite is a standard 1.5 and it requires checking out the space.

On short lines it's easy to fly low ceilings, no overheads, if you have enough floor space. Or w/ an indoor it's easy to keep the kite overhead if you don't have much floor space. To me it's not as pretty as long lines by a long shot, but it's challenging, and perfect for those small kite venues. ;) I think I have to fly inside today.. Oops Dad's B-day. Guess I better get going. Have a great fly day! BB Penny

• 1 month later...

Here are 2 indoor events. Andrew Cimburek (sp) is planning one for early spring, too.

These are off of the WKA web page and links can be found at

<www.wka-kiteflyers.com>

NOV 3rd

Indoor Kite Fly starting at 3 PM - 6 PM

6 PM General Membership Meeting

WHERE:

Just north of Renton

1 1/2 Miles east of I-405

Take the 44th street EXIT off of I-405 go East 1- 1/2 miles.

Do NOT turn off of this road. It will take you all the way there.

To the top of the hill, thru the housing track, and around the hairpin turn,

The BIG yellow church on your left. Go past the sign and turn left into the driveway.

Seattle Revival Center

Map of 12636 SE 89th Place

Newcastle, WA 98056-1733

(Click for driving directions)

WHAT TO BRING:

Bring your indoor kites!

Bring anything you like to eat!

Here is the WKA/PCKA Dinner and Indoor fly.

When: December 1, 2007

We start the indoor kite fly at 12:00 noon,

At 4:30 PM we start putting up the tables for the dinner.

Where: 3505 122nd Ave E.

Edgewood, WA

At the Mountain View Lutheran Church

I hope to make it to both. If Steven has a play off game (he's a football official) I will go and support him, as he does me and my kiting.

If it's just a normal game, I'll try to make it on my own. Dec is ok.. oh.. unless the football banquet is the same day.. then it's our turn to go there. Hopefully it will be a different day.

If anyone lives close to the Nov. 3rd event- Seattle to Renton, I may be looking for a place to spend the night, or a ride from the Ferry. My eyes are bad enough that I don't want to drive much at night in areas I'm not familiar with.

Best case scenario, my husband will be with me. :) He's my hero. BB Penny.. so excited that indoor is here!

A few more mornings under my belt and I'm feeling better about indoor kiteflying.

Looking forward to working with my single handle.

I found this old picture while putting albums up on www.myspace.com/penny_lingenfelter

Donna Barr took this a few years ago. It's inspirational to me... I better go practice. :o BB Penny

I was having the most wonderful fly this morning.

I had my eyes closed shut and the Rev flying behind me. I was zening, changing the kites direction left to right in big swoops behind me.. (pulling on the bottom handle gives it great forward after turning the kites direction) when suddenly it all felt like it all fell apart.. which it did. The line from the top cap to the kite had busted. I opened my eyes.. and pieces were all over. :o

To bad it wasn't a dream and I could have woke up when I opened my eyes.

Oh, well, it's a tiny repair... I'll fly again tomorrow~ only better.

BB Penny Looking for Mermaid music for kids. Any one have any good leads- email me.

I went back the next morning. It was a nice fly.. just not long enough.

My boss sprained her ankle and is on crutches. :o That kind of added a little to my work load. I'll put off flying till next week... or wait... this weekend!!!!! Yeah! I get to go to the indoor fly in Camas, WA. sponsored by The Kiteshoppe. I'm looking forward to watching the fliers, giving some lessons, free fly time.. and more.

I'll make it back to the gym next week.. work on a 1.5 to prepare for a demo at Son's of Norway the next weekend, and then work on that single handle.

I hope winter doesn't go by as fast as summer did. I think it's an age thing. BB Penny ~ going to Camas, going to Camas.

Wow. CAMAS! CAMAS! What a weekend. I'm still smiling from the residual.

They had 3 new indoor competitors... Way to go Rachael, Connor and David!! David even took a first place. Has that been done before?

All the flyers did a beautiful job. I sat and watched 4 competitions and only missed one flyer on the last comp. It was a small event, with between 8 and 12 competitors. I played, gave a few lessons, and tried to support all the kite fliers.

Of course, I visited, ate well, and had a fantastic time. I came back with 3 first in kiting for myself.

First one.

Everyone is doing 360's with a handle in their mouth.. It's really not hard.... lol (I don't think)

I can put a spin in it, unwind it sometimes, do a 360 forward and a reverse 360 with the handle in my mouth.. changing direction while it's there.. but my first is a reverse overhead! Woo hoo. Not a lot of call to do this, but I can and I guess that's what counts to me. lol

2nd first : One handed guillotine I never tried it before. I did it and saved it once, so I know it can be done, but now I have to make sure I am going overhead and not to the side and find out how to do it to keep the lines from catching on the handles.

Something else to add to my practice list.

And.. for me a first.. an exciting first!

I'd read about it, but was afraid to try. My third first:

I flew off of the balcony for the first time. Flying below and above me. Theresa advised me to use 20 ft. of line over a bridge. I now have bridge fever and can't wait to try it. How exciting!!

Theresa / the kiteshoppe.com and Bud Hayes put together a top notch event for competitors and spectators alike. Someone advertised it on Craig’s list Sat. night and on Sunday we had a family that came after seeing it on the list. We'll have to do that again.

I'm looking forward to Camas next year.. not because of the $50 I won for taking first in the Mystery Ballet... though that is certainly incentive!! Nope, looking forward to seeing alll those wonderful fliers and the new ideas, tips, tricks, smiles and hugs that I can get. :(

Oh, I saw so much I should be telling you about. You'd be amazed how many single line kite flyers were in the competition. Amy Doran's Charlie Chaplan routine, Bud Hayes single line kite flying is good for the soul. Rachel can get beautiful height out of her kite. Connor totally rocked when he zenned out to his music for his competition. Jennifer Brown.. I always tell her.. slow and steady wins the race. She's a beautiful flyer with flow jo who's persistence will take her far. (She’s already placed 3 times at Nationals.) She's always a contender, but she's not sitting on her laurels, she's out there practicing. Ok. Jen...it's time you started flying a Rev inside, too. :(

Monk.. I told you not to do it! His hot trick tricks backfired just a little on him. He pulled his shirt off and jumped off of the top of the bleachers to impress Amy.. or the judges? lol I can't believe he did it!!! and now I know why we call him monkey. :w00t: It backfired. Amy beat him.

Next year there will be an ugly protest if we don't get Bob Wendt to fly a demo, or mystery. As our announcer he never gets to fly. Next year.. the pressure will be on.

Geezer was there to support everyone. Stahly (sp) is getting better with her indoor Rev. yeah! Kirsti worked the booth's.. wow.. It's hard to believe those girls are graduating this year.

Tristan came down and kicked butt! What an entertaining dynamic kite flyer. Mom really appreciates the opportunities give her to shop in the states. lol

Ahh, you missed so much fun! Next year you should come to Camas. I promise the fliers will make you feel most welcome.

Well, I better get back to work. Thank all for making Camas such a magical weekend.

Karen called me last night to say she just saw my name on TV.

Huh? Awww, The Sons of Norway in Bremerton are advertising their Veterans day event this weekend and I am entertainment. :) It's one of those rooms w/ pretty low ceilings and a few chandeliers, but I'm up for the challenge.

It made me laugh when she told me. I remembered a few years ago we received a free fortune teller reading. When I asked if I would be on TV w/ kites? She looked at me like I was crazy and said NO!

Whew, that's been a few commercials ago...so I'm ok with that. lol That's one of the reason if I read my horoscope I read it the day after so it doesn't influence my day.

BB Penny

I found Itunes! For some reason technology seems a little touger when we're older.

Now I have music picked out for two new routines w/ kids and/or not.

Some great patriotic songs per Rachel or Chloe's request for a red/white and blue routine w/ kids. Can't let the kids down. Nice kids music w/ the pledge of allegence in it. I like~

I'll have to come up with the kites for them to fly.. banners, etc. indoor and out.

Some mermaid music that I just love. Cute reggae for the kids, soft dreamey dancing with mermaid flying high music for me. And one really cute mermaid song that I'll save for adults only demo. It's got one cuss word and a joke involved. Too cute!! Now, to come up w/ costumes and kites for all.

How did kites snowball into this?

Ok, now I've discovered how easy it is to find music I'll be armed and dangerous.

BB Penny :)

Flying for fun.

Everyone is doing 360's with a handle in their mouth.. It's really not hard.... lol (I don't think)

I can put a spin in it, unwind it sometimes, do a 360 forward and a reverse 360 with the handle in my mouth.. changing direction while it's there.. but my first is a reverse overhead! Woo hoo. Not a lot of call to do this, but I can and I guess that's what counts to me. lol

true, its not, but, it looks good and yep, you do it better than any of us :)

Monk.. I told you not to do it! His hot trick tricks backfired just a little on him. He pulled his shirt off and jumped off of the top of the bleachers to impress Amy.. or the judges? lol I can't believe he did it!!! and now I know why we call him monkey. :) It backfired. Amy beat him.

I do the stupid things so that you don't have to. I'm still fine, it didnt twinge me at all but, ya, in retrospect, you were right :D

Thank you Monkey. Or bnj oo mky... as I would say with my handle in my mouth.

hahah

That's one less stupid thing I have to do. :) lol You saved me! I am glad you didn't break it. Now your ankle might hurt more in the cold.

Did you get a good picture of the kite over the balcony.? We had fun...

BB Penny~ still smillng over the Camas 2nd Annual Kite festival.

Time to get the dates for next yrs. events.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here are the dates for the Lincoln City Indoor Kite Festival March 28th - 30th, 2008!

El Ultima Fiesta del Aire! INdoor ~ no wind~ 3-D kiteflying and airel delight. I don't know the line up yet, but hopefully Aireial Experince will be there and all the other fliers.

It will be at Taft High School in Lincoln City, OR. It's spring break, and this is a great inexpensive family event. Hands on kite flying for kids and adults. Kids kite making, Kite Demo's, competiiton and show. Come and say hello and find out for yourself what indoor kiteflying has to offer you. Innovative, relaxing, challenging, exercise for all ages!

Ok, I will be there! I can't wait!

BB Penny ~Now, where's that dang single Rev handle?

www.myspace.com/penny_lingenfelter

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend is the PCKA/WKA Indoor fly and potluck!

I've been getting a little indoor flying in. I love that I can go in a raquetball court and fly to my hearts content when it's the only available spot. When I first started I dreaded being in the raquetball court.. Now.. I feel like a magician and the illusion easily flows.

Then I got rear ended on the freeway. (Bet you the driver was texting) She hit me just hard enough to feel it. My back is a little tight, but I think my muscles are to strong to hurt easily. Still, I've had to take it easy for a few days. And she ruined my buggygruven sticker. :clap;

Hey, there's a good letter w/ pics in the quad forum on indoor/outdoor rev's from Revflyer. Check it out.

Oh... I bought tickets to see "Sussical the Mussical" with the grandsons. This has the cat in the hat music and is a cute show. The incentive behind my cat/hat routine.

Would it be Grandma torture if I had them wear Thing 1 and Thing 2 costumes? I bet they wouldn't ever forget it. But would they forgive me? :rainbowwave: lol Since we have 2nd row seats on the end.. perhaps.. just perhaps.... I could wear my cat/hat costume. lol

Hey, it could happen.

BB

Penny ~ thinking REV on!

So sad, to bad. :) I tried to get to the WKA/PCKA potluck it's about an hour away. Before I left town we had almost 2 inches of snow and it was still coming down hard. I turned around and headed back towards home. I didn't want to feel sorry for myself, so my vehicle took a quick left into the gym and I stopped and flew for an hour. That helped a little.

Afterwards I called my daughter and she brought the grandkids to my house. They hoped they would get snowed in for 10 days, but it didn't happen. The boys and I went to see the play and the first act was great.. and then the power went out. The wind was blowing so hard it would lift a sheet of rain off of the puddles. After singing christmas carols for a while in the dark, we called it an evening and rescheduled for another night. Now, that's how my weekend went. Bittersweet having to miss the annual potluck~but getting extra time with the kids.

Now what did I miss?

Oh.. there is a picture of me indoor flying the Rev off of the balcony. in the current issue of kitelife.com.. Under Camas Kite Festival. Thank you Monkey!

Thanks to everyone this year, who helped to make it such a fantastic kite year. I had so much more then a super blast.. there was the 1.5 and the indoor, and the vented II.. and oh.. it was a "bea-chi-ful" year. Rev on!!

BB Penny

• 2 weeks later...

I've redecorated my office. Pics are up under "Penny's office" or a slide show on the front page of www.myspace.com/penny_lingenfelter

We're in WA and ready for a wet winter. I'm humming the Beatle's "Octopus's Garden" in preperation for the indoor and outdoor festival in Lincoln City, OR. The theme this year will be Octopus's.. I'm still waiting on the title.

The serenity garden is put up.. in my office for the winter. We are enjoying it. Check out the rest of the pictures. I'll try to post one or two here. I have lots of movement over my head, and the jelly fish sets off the wind chimes. Nemo stays in motion and the green seaweed waves when the air comes on. I luv it. Tako Kichi~ Thanks Scott Spencer and Premier Kites for this. BB Penny

• 3 weeks later...

Indoor practice is ok, and I'm still grateful I can schedule the raquetball court when ever I want, but I need more room for the single handle and the basketball court has been busy every night. On top of that I've been busy for the last month looking for the right vehicle.

No, not for work... though I only want one, so it will be used for work too. NO, I told my boss, not for the snow. I refuse to buy 4 wheel drive for the 4 days of snow we might or might not get each year. I'm cautious about driving on the beach by myself, so friends are always around to pull me out. (I've only gotten stuck like once every couple of years, so not really a factor) I just need a good toy box to lock my gear in, a hotel room for days when I'm on my own, and w/ more then 1 1/2 feet wide of a space to share w/Steven when he joins me, my 3 suitcases and kite bags.

I'm not ready for a conversion van.. it doesn't really fit my needs. I'm more of a beach bum then that. In fact, I hope to Rhino line what ever I do get.

I'm not ready for anything smaller then my Chevy Astro.. Hail the Astro's! It's been a great van. rusty, hand painted leaky home away from home, that never left me on the side of the road van.

They quit making them in 05, which is a shame. The Chevy Astro 05 is the last year they were made and the extended cargo would be perfect. The problem is you can't find them w/ under 70,000 + miles on them. So, the Chevy Express Cargo Van is what I like so far. Steve is trying to get me to choose the Uplander. It's smaller, but better mileage. I don't want to go smaller. Ok, that's what I have been doing for the last month. Perfectly good fly weekends spent on my auto search.  At first I thought it was fun and spent many hours on the computer. I even thought I could do this for a 2nd job! Now, it's old, and I just want it done and a new van in the driveway.

Well, tonight I fly. I'll have to make a decision to get up early in the AM, like anything in life it's hard to do when you’re out of practice.

Long Beach Windless Kite Festival is January 19-21, 08. Now there’s a reason to get up at 5 AM to practice for! That's in two weeks!!! See you there. BB Penny

I was reminded tonight of a safety practice for indoor kitefliers.

I put a band-aid on a paper cut on my finger yesterday and didn't think anything about it. When I flew last night, I realized it was actually a line cut.. ouch ..and I cut it again on top of that. Tonight ..ok, so I'm a slow learner...I cut it a 3rd time!!! Triple ouch!!! Not again!! It's got quite the slit, and I don't want an infection. I'll try to be more diligent in taping my fingers for 3D's throws and catches from now on. lol I just thought about it.. I hope people didn't think I was flipping them off when I used my middle finger instead. lol

One nice thing about Indoor Rev's is when you have a broken spar the can still be used for some time. I had a rod I used all summer with kids, and adults. It had a few splinters on the end, but was ok..I've actually been flying it for a while. Last night I felt the need for speed, blame it on the music. In any case, the drama, the speed, the pull, it was all to much for the kite. It snapped at the end. Doing what any unprepared kiteflier would do; I ran to the front desk and asked for some scotch tape. I took back a piece rapped it around the spar and Rev'd on! For about 15 min.. when that same piece of music came on and BAM!... That kite was moooooving... VROOM~ then... *snap* It broke again.. Back to the front desk.. please.. another piece of tape? I got another 15 minutes out of the 2nd piece of tape.. darn that music~ Then I took down...

But~I went back tonight and had such a fun fly... I'm smiling still. Windless INdoor in 2 weeks....Maybe I'll have a new vehicle by then. BB Penny..

I was reminded tonight of a safety practice for indoor kitefliers.

I put a band-aid on a paper cut on my finger yesterday and didn't think anything about it. When I flew last night, I realized it was actually a line cut.. ouch ..and I cut it again on top of that. Tonight ..ok, so I'm a slow learner...I cut it a 3rd time!!! Triple ouch!!! Not again!! It's got quite the slit, and I don't want an infection. I'll try to be more diligent in taping my fingers for 3D's throws and catches from now on. lol I just thought about it.. I hope people didn't think I was flipping them off when I used my middle finger instead. lol

One nice thing about Indoor Rev's is when you have a broken spar the can still be used for some time. I had a rod I used all summer with kids, and adults. It had a few splinters on the end, but was ok..I've actually been flying it for a while. Last night I felt the need for speed, blame it on the music. In any case, the drama, the speed, the pull, it was all to much for the kite. It snapped at the end. Doing what any unprepared kiteflier would do; I ran to the front desk and asked for some scotch tape. I took back a piece rapped it around the spar and Rev'd on! For about 15 min.. when that same piece of music came on and BAM!... That kite was moooooving... VROOM~ then... *snap* It broke again.. Back to the front desk.. please.. another piece of tape? I got another 15 minutes out of the 2nd piece of tape.. darn that music~ Then I took down...

But~I went back tonight and had such a fun fly... I'm smiling still. Windless INdoor in 2 weeks....Maybe I'll have a new vehicle by then. BB Penny..

Penny,

Are you actually saying that you don't have Duck Tape and Super Glue in your kite bag? I'm surprised. By the way..in a pinch, Duck tape (or duct tape as it is officially called) is a great band-aid in a pinch.....for those occasional line cuts.

Hey Skitch, Yes, I do have duct tape in my van.. But it was parked pretty far away on a rainy night. Super glue? Awww.no.. NO No no super glue.

Picture this: A houseful of kitefliers at the beach.. 2 AM and everyone is asleep, but kite fanatics, Penny and Sharon. We're making repairs. Or, I'm making repairs and Sharon is humoring me. In any case... oh yes, we were making miniatures.. I ended up with 3 sticks and 6 fingers all glued together. All my clothes on and no finger nail polish remover, no stores open.

We tried mouthwash, bianca spray.. anything we could find. lol What finally did it was perfume.. 1 spray and a few skin cells would come apart with out coming off. Not much perfume left in the bottle. I slipped quietly into bed, not waking Steve.. but the stink did!

I try to avoid super glue. :) I thnk I need to duct tape my finger. :blink: I have band-aids in the van, too. See you at Long Beach? BB Penny oh, kite bag? INdoor.. grab your kite w/lines mp3 player and go. Quite different then the outdoor kite bag.

http://honkernet.net/visitarlington/UPTHERIVERKITES.htm

Arlington Indoor Kite Festival is a go. I hadn't heard anything about it, and with the Mayor's controversity, thought maybe Allen Cunningham was going to forgo it this year. Not so! The mayor will even be judging. February,16-17th in Arlington, OR.

When I emailed Steven with the info, I asked him why we liked this event so much? His only answer, "it must be the people." See you there. BB Penny

I've added 8 events to the calendar up through Oct. 08. Check it out. We still need League events put on, and John, what is wrong w/posting IQuads events on the calendar, other then time? At least 3 of the events are indoors on the West Coast. No excuses not to fly in the winter. ;) BB Penny